16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Now just what do I do with this?
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

You will not need to do any drawing, the Kraus & Spangler light German Style Engraving is available to see in both Bill Brophy and John Houchins books. It's the accepted engraving for up grading a 00 L.C. Smith gun. Finding the talent to produce it today maybe costly however.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Kraus's #2 Gun engraving would look Great on your 00! The walking Woodcock is always a class style engraving.

Click on picture to enlarge to see detailed Kraus & Spangler Engraving.

Spanglers Spinning Clays were very popular on 00 upgrades also. Our family members up graded several 00 guns, with this conservative Spinning Clays engraving.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

The Kraus #2 engraving is a favorite of mine. But if I am going to learn the art and do my own, I'm not copying someone's work. I have plenty of time to ponder it as I am tackling a bigger project right now...1960 Ranchero. Finished the transmission conversion (T5) crossmember and mount two days ago. Ran out of welding wire today. There will be an engine in there soon. Of course after everything is done, I get to take it all apart again to paint it!

SamW
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

The first thing that caught my eye...I see what looks like a cave painting of a plains game animal, an antelope or oryx running to the right.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

It also looks like a hawk dropping in.

Did I mention, there is a graded Syracuse Arms 16 ga. with a broken stock. Question is, can I scratch up the cash for that one after buying the Smith? May have to sell something!

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Now that would be a nice gun to use that beautiful Walnut Wood on for sure.
What is the asking price on the Syracuse L.C. Smith 16 with the damaged stock?

Promise I will no go after it.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:18 am  Reply with quote

Not an L.C. Smith. Syracuse Arms, not to be confused with Lefever either. A somewhat little known company that produced a small number of quality guns. Asking price is about $900, probably due to the stock break going all the way through the wrist. Not an easy stock to build as boxlocks go.

Chicago
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:48 am  Reply with quote

Given your confusion over which gun to use that wood on, I have a 16 bore that needs a new stick of wood. I will be more than happy to send it your way and if you could please have it back to me by September 15th, that would be just perfect. Very Happy
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:32 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Frankly I would use the nice wood on the 00 or Fox you already own, rather than purchase the gun of a little known gun maker with a damaged stock. Just my opinion.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

oldog
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

that is French Walnut. Get out the carbide cutters

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:53 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, Syracuse Arms is well respected, they are anything but hardware store guns. I didn't know about them until I stumbled onto an article about the ejector switch feature in an old issue of DGJ. Some of the guns have a switch in the forearm that will override the ejectors.

The gun in question does not have the switch for its ejectors. The engraving quality is quite good and actually looks like it came from the same hand that engraved the Lefever E project I picked up, the similarities are remarkable. Someone rust blued the barrels which would be addressed for sure since the Grade 3 guns came with the amazing "Washington" pattern damascus. Lightweight little gun to boot.

Oh, and I have 5 pieces of wood, wink-wink. This one is just the nicest!

Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:20 pm  Reply with quote

First, carve and fit the blank to the NID.
Then peruse this:
https://www.amazon.com/General-engraving-watchmakers-jewelers-kindred-ebook/dp/B01L9KVT68/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?keywords=instruction+book+how+to+engrave+metal+instructions&qid=1556945487&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Then clamp NID action in a padded vise and and go to work with these:
https://www.amazon.com/Milgrain-Tools-Set-6-MLG-200-00/dp/B005OS57ZQ/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=metal+hand+engraving+tools&qid=1556945700&s=gateway&sr=8-7

You could go with English style roses and scrolls, American style dogs and birds, or those lovely unclad Dianas of the Italian school, as your taste dictates. That should carry you through the hot Wyoming summer. Then install that new stock and forearm, and you will be ready by opening day of bird season.

Best of Luck

B.
canvasback
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:32 am  Reply with quote

Wyochukar, i have restocked some guns and will restock more. Along with every gun I buy getting at least a refinish and careful internal inspection of the wood for cracks and shrinkage, as I just about only buy pre war vintage.

I'll be getting back a 1907 vintage Remington 1894 BE later this month with a new stick on it and will sending out a 1895 Sauer & Sohn sidelock once the Remmy is home. Still trying to decide between straight or POW for the Sauer. Leaning to straight. It's a very petite and lightweight 12 (Sorry guys).

IMHO one needs to match the wood to rest of the gun. It has to balance out. The wood is part of a bigger entity. Now, having said that, a plainer gun can take fancier wood more than a fancy gun would work with plainer wood.

To my eye that blank looks like it should be on a gun with perfectly blued barrels and an action with a nice amount of engraving left with it's vintage patina, earned over many years of good use and care. I'm sure you'll find the right gun if it's not already in your safe.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

I agree about the fancy guns with plain wood, it's odd. Surprisingly, I see a lot of those! Another observation, fancy wood on a plain bolt action rifle or even a pump/ auto shotgun looks perfectly fine to me, but for some reason I don't feel the same about a double gun. Maybe it's my art background from long ago that does this to my perceptions, but something about the lines of a SxS gun begs to be matched up a little bit.

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

Send it to me. I know a guy who can work wonders with a stick like that.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:12 pm  Reply with quote

"Umm, I'll take "things with zero possibility of happening" for $200, Alex." Laughing