16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 ga barrel ID
readgriff
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:48 am  Reply with quote

I was wondering if the ID barrel size effects the pattern size.
The reason I ask is I have a SS with barrel ID at .661 with choke of .002 and .006 and the patterns seems pretty tight.
Standard ID 16 ga is .667.
My question is if your barrels were ID .667 and same choke would your pattern be more open.
Thanks
oldog
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:08 am  Reply with quote

no the choke would be .008 (.667- .659 = .008)

double vision
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:04 am  Reply with quote

My turkey hunting fanatic friend told me that he tried just about all of the modern 12 gauge autos and aftermarket (tight) chokes looking for the tightest pattern he could get. He found his Benelli with it's tighter eurobore .723 iD was clearly tighter patterning then the guns with the standard .729 bore, and way tighter than anything overbored. From what I've gathered from him and other sources, in general, a tighter bore will throw tighter patterns choke for choke.
tramroad28
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:35 am  Reply with quote

readgriff wrote:
I was wondering if the ID barrel size effects the pattern size.
The reason I ask is I have a SS with barrel ID at .661 with choke of .002 and .006 and the patterns seems pretty tight.
Standard ID 16 ga is .667.
My question is if your barrels were ID .667 and same choke would your pattern be more open.
Thanks

Maybe.
I have found that some Trap guns respond positively in % and pattern quality with a degree of overbore. Degree, is the sticker.
It often depends upon the load, especially the wad and often, the pellet itself.

It's been my experience that turkey loads, specifically the new miracle pellets and loads everyone appears to love, are often a law unto themselves and choke and choke design is critical.
I would not say that barrel ID is unimportant, nor would I say that it is a major influence.
I would say... pattern appropriately and adjust all factors of shell, et al as you require.
There will be your answer.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:46 am  Reply with quote

Technically, the choke degree would be different due to bore size, in terms of proportion. In other words, .006" of choke in a .661" bore comes out to be 9.07% choke. .006" in a .667" bore comes out to be 8.99% choke. It's a tighter choke in the smaller bore, but that's a pretty small difference! It takes a big change in bore size for this to have much bearing.

Now when you move from one gauge to another, then the difference is relevant and is why the old time standard of .040" as full choke in the 12 ga. did not apply to other gauges.

Now you may have other factors at work. Ammunition quality, pressure, velocity, etc. affect pellet deformation and the amount of air resistance working against the pellets ( and thus pattern).

Another thought, is that someone could have, at one time, "jug choked" that gun, by honing out a section of bore behind the choke for say 6", to have effectively increase the amount of choke. The Russians were know for this once upon a time, to the point of this being referred to as a "Russian choke". They did well in the Olympic skeet competitions with one rendition. I performed this operation on two guns long ago...and it worked. Boy is it tedious.

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

Tedious is a mild description.I did a 16 gauge Ithaca, very time consuming to say the least. Bought it with a damaged muzzle and had to cut off a inch. It was hone and shoot,hone and shoot ad nauseum but ended up with a very nice imp/mod barrel.
readgriff
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:28 am  Reply with quote

Wyochucker
That makes sense percentage.
I would think with the smaller ID chamber pressure would also go up.
Thanks
Roadkill
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:

Another thought, is that someone could have, at one time, "jug choked" that gun, by honing out a section of bore behind the choke for say 6", to have effectively increase the amount of choke. The Russians were know for this once upon a time, to the point of this being referred to as a "Russian choke". They did well in the Olympic skeet competitions with one rendition. I performed this operation on two guns long ago...and it worked. Boy is it tedious.

Tula choke. My 32 Krieghoff began life as an International Skeet gun and is Tula choked. It does throw amazingly even patterns.