16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Sterlingworth
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:09 am  Reply with quote

Looking for a 12 gauge Sterlingworth for my son. He want's a new duck gun for graduation. 28" Philly gun good solid shooter condition. contact info
Jan Christen 717-940-1483 janchristen@utilitykeystone.com
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:08 am  Reply with quote

Thanks to all that responded Robp hooked me up with a nice gun in Superior Wisconsin. I appreciate all the replies. Should arrive at Dewey's shop this week.
Grouse28
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:26 pm  Reply with quote

Nice, I am sure he will enjoy it.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:48 am  Reply with quote

Back to the drawing board. Dewey reported that the stock was cracked multiple dents in the barrels a bulge and all the screw were wrong. The quest continues.
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

Bummer. Too bad you weren't looking a few months ago, Jan. A very nice condition 12ga Sterly went for a great price at Horst back in March.

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

I found what I was seeking on gunbroker. In my case I wanted a later Sterlingworth 12 with reasonably modern dimensions, etc. and one popped up fairly quick. Worth a look!
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:45 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.gunbroker.com/Side-By-Side-Shotguns/search?Keywords=Sterlingworth%2012&PageSize=24&Sort=13&View=2&g=300002

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:05 am  Reply with quote

Marcus I have very little patience with horst can't sit around all morning waiting for 1 gun. My experience has been most of the stuff at horst is junk. I have bought 4 or 5 over the years last one a nice little french 16 gauge for a song. Gun Broker makes me very uneasy never know what your getting and if the seller is a crook. 12 gauge Fox's are the most common and cheapest I will find one just wanted it now my son graduated and is leaving for the Air Force in July.
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

pudelpointer wrote:
Marcus I have very little patience with horst can't sit around all morning waiting for 1 gun. My experience has been most of the stuff at horst is junk. I have bought 4 or 5 over the years last one a nice little french 16 gauge for a song. Gun Broker makes me very uneasy never know what your getting and if the seller is a crook. 12 gauge Fox's are the most common and cheapest I will find one just wanted it now my son graduated and is leaving for the Air Force in July.

There's no lack of less than stellar guns that run through that place but they do have some decent stuff come through. Since my father passed a few years ago, I don't often go. It was more something I did with him. I check the list most sales but haven't been there in about a year. Just not buying guns.

Oh, they do attract a certain element too. I hear that Grouse28 chap goes there sometimes. Quite an unsavory character he is...

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
vaturkey
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:20 am  Reply with quote

Upland Carpenter wrote:
pudelpointer wrote:

There's no lack of less than stellar guns that run through that place but they do have some decent stuff come through. Since my father passed a few years ago, I don't often go. It was more something I did with him. I check the list most sales but haven't been there in about a year. Just not buying guns.

Oh, they do attract a certain element too. I hear that Grouse28 chap goes there sometimes. Quite an unsavory character he is...

They do occasionally get some good stuff. I went up there to look at a very nice Fox Super about 4 years ago and they had some really nice stuff including a couple of super Merkel's. That said, lots of there stuff was indeed rode hard and put away wet for sure. Its the kind of place where one needs to go and take a look and not depend on their pictures or their descriptions. Some of their choke and chamber measurements were way way off.
vaturkey
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:21 am  Reply with quote

Upland Carpenter wrote:
pudelpointer wrote: