16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Thoughts On Who To Leave Guns
ShowMeSon
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:13 am  Reply with quote

I also posted my question on the larger double gun forum and received a detailed answer. Here is a link to an article that includes the relevant federal statues that apply.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cannabis-marijuana-guns/

The essence is that we are prohibited by federal law from selling or giving firearms to individuals who use controlled substances including marijuana and including occasional recreational use as well as medicinal use. The users are also prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms.

This certainly adds a new complication for those of us who are older and contemplating this very question of passing on our firearms, some of which have been in our families for generations.
wahoo
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:03 am  Reply with quote

Whoa, I hadn’t even considered that yet! Well it is a common sense thing too. For the most part, folks falling into the categories of that particular risk, don’t usually come across as interested in the sport, or responsible gun owners. I know, not everyone who uses act irresponsible, just saying that the majority of outdoors shooting enthusiasts don’t lean that way. It does make it more of a concern if one were to be too cavalier in their generosity with their heirs though.

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:56 am  Reply with quote

Showmeson,

Something to consider for sure, as a retired US Army CID Agent I do question the authority to even make this happen however. No place in the US Constitution does it give the government the right to remove an individuals 2nd amendment rights because of anything they inject or injest into their body.

Don't get me wrong I have enforced the federal laws pertaining to drug selling and using for the military for many years. However this latest move to remove individuals 2nd Amendment rights, for drug use is actually Unconstitutional.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:55 pm  Reply with quote

Reading all of these replies and concerns about "who" is great motivation for those of us in this situation to take as many younger folks under our wing as possible. Some of them will take a true interest in hunting and bird guns. Our heirlooms might as well go to those who will keep the flame alive.

old colonel
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

I don’t worry about who will get my guns, it is their problem.

That said, I hope I won’t make it too hard on them, but again their problem

Last edited by old colonel on Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

I like your thoughts a lot, and maybe by introducing these young people to our sport you might just meet somebody that would really appreciate owning some of your fine guns. It is definitely something to think about.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Yule
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:14 pm  Reply with quote

At 55, I hope to have a number of years of enjoyment from the ones I have collected over the last 45 years. Recently, I have started taking some of my oldies to shoot practice trap and other clay games. I even bagged a turkey with my old 870 - 16 gauge, this spring.
For my 55 th birthday, I sold a number of safe queens and bought my first 21, in 16 gauge. Man, do I like that SxS.
I live in Lancaster County, PA and we still have a number of trap clubs. If any of you guys are in this area, let me know and I will introduce you to some young shooters.
As the president of our local volunteer fire department, I can also tell you that we are always looking for ways to make our budget.... if you want to hear more, shoot me a PM

Regards
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Yule !
Welcome on your FIRST posting
Pleased to have you on site
You young whipper-snapper Smile
Mike
PIOBill
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

I understand. My daughter passed with no children so I only have my nephews. Fortunately one of them is my hunting and fishing buddy. His older brother is a fine shooter but his wife is liberal and there are no guns in their home. My wife understands that if something happens to me, she is to call the hunting nephew and he will take care of everything.

He has the discretion to share with his brother if there is any possibility for him to keep some. Many of the ones I have were inherited from my dad and he taught both of the nephews to shoot so the guns will be appreciated.

PIOBill
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:00 pm  Reply with quote

I understand. My daughter passed with no children so I only have my nephews. Fortunately one of them is my hunting and fishing buddy. His older brother is a fine shooter but his wife is liberal and there are no guns in their home. My wife understands that if something happens to me, she is to call the hunting nephew and he will take care of everything.

He has the discretion to share with his brother if there is any possibility for him to keep some. Many of the ones I have were inherited from my dad and he taught both of the nephews to shoot so the guns will be appreciated.

PIOBill
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

old colonel
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

Deleted

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

To many of us in our age group this is definitely a concern, it is our individual responsibility to find a good home for our guns. In many instances like mine, it is definitely taking some serious thought. With our families becoming smaller and smaller its not as easy as it once was to make sure a classic gun collection is passed down thru the family. Good luck to everyone with this kind of responsibility.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total

dwr353
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:31 am  Reply with quote

This thread hits home for many of us. Families are smaller now, and throw in the fact that if we are lucky enough to have grandkids, most do not hunt these days. The world as we knew is changing, and not for the better.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

dwr353,

Yes our modern families are having fewer children, my great Grandparents hand 10 children, in my Grandparents generation most people had 4 or 5 children my parents only had 2 children and in my Viet Nam era generation the ladies only wanted to have 1 or maybe 2 children. Not a good thing for the American society at all. It is no wonder our American culture is being undermined.

In many cases you are correct about the changes not being for the better, however our advancements in technology, especial medical technology have been just incredible. I am living proof that not every thing was for the worse, modern medical advancements have enabled me to live 12 years longer than my father did, both of us, having similar chemical poisoning from both WWII and the Viet Nam era's. Without these incredible advancements I would have perished at 60 as my father did before me.

Not all of the changes were for the worse.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man