16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  SXS Configuration
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:10 am  Reply with quote

Cheyenneo8,

I surely do not believe I am the only one who knows about dogs and guns or engineering for that matter. I am confident in what I do know however.

Many times by what is written by a forum member it may look like that member does not know certain things, other times it is blatantly obvious. Some times members write things just to get a rise out of people here on the forum, got to admit I am guilty of doing this last one myself.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Cheyenneo8,

I surely do not believe I am the only one who knows about dogs and guns or engineering for that matter. I am confident in what I do know however.

Many times by what is written by a forum member it may look like that member does not know certain things, other times it is blatantly obvious. Some times members write things just to get a rise out of people here on the forum, got to admit I am guilty of doing this last one myself.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Just suggesting that just MAYBE some one other than you might have a LITTLE knowledge of gun dogs. Certainly not me, I am just a bumbling old hunter.

Humility goes a long ways, Riflemeister has earned his respect from me.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

Dale,

Just because you disagree with somebody does not mean you are disrespecting them.

Humility on the Net unfortunately comes across as indecisive and unsure of one self.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:

Humility on the Net unfortunately comes across as indecisive and unsure of one self.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pmCRimhcp] [/URL]

The quote above is what I've mostly observed in the world.
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

PCD, this is my main problem with the internet. I'd rather appear indecisive and unsure than push my opinions in order not to appear indecisive and unsure.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson,

The great thing about our country is you are free to think and act in the way you believe is most effective. Freedom is the most expensive commodity on earth, use it wisely.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

Do we need to quote Rodney King here? Anyway. I have used every one of the configurations mentioned here. They all work.

My personal take? I like double triggers and have indeed used the back trigger only on a long flush in open country. When it's cold enough to force me to use gloves, an I hate to, a single trigger layout does give my gloved finger more room.

Splinter forearm? I like them more than I used to, but a beavertail/ semi beavertail solves tow problems: bluing wear and hot hands during a dove/ clay shoot. The method of holding out past the forearm has always been uncomfortable to me, so I don't do that. If anyone here does and it works for you, don't stop because I do things differently.

Straight grip? Love them. It took a week or so to get used to my first one and a preference quickly developed. The number one advantage of a straight grip stock? Everyone's hand fits it in relationship to the trigger. Pistol grips are fine, but some crowd my hand a bit. If I had small or really large hands, this could be more of an issue. But, as stated, I use all three grip styles. Some of those pistol grips have been getting converted though. But...if one style works best for you after trying all three, stick with it.

Ribs? Once again, tried all. The only one I never liked was the sunken rib, drove me nuts. However, somewhere there will be shooters who love those too.

Bottom line? If the gun fits and you like it, it will do the job as long as you don't shoot somewhere there isn't a bird.

Dogs? I'm sticking with Rusty, he makes me look better than I am.

Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:31 am  Reply with quote

Dogs? I'm sticking with Rusty, he makes me look better than I am.[/quote]

This is absolutely the best line in this whole thread.Dogs are my hero's!

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:56 am  Reply with quote

I think Riflemeister started a very good thread and there were several good replies. Ya, we got sidetracked a little, but nothing major.

Last edited by double vision on Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Chukar60
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:03 am  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Dale,

Just because you disagree with somebody does not mean you are disrespecting them.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

The problem with the internet and forums is that people are free to espouse their opinions behind the emotional barricade of their screen from the secure confines of their private world. Free from the restrictions of civil, polite company and the attendant humility required of constructive face to face human interaction, some people’s worst tendencies flourish.
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:36 am  Reply with quote

Straight grips work well for me, but no better than a pistol grip. If the pistol grip is relaxed it carries well for me in the field. Beavertail forends are fine with me as long as they aren't the whole beaver.

Double triggers are fine, but overblown as a "must-have." IMO they have more value in the wide open spaces where you just might have that long poke. I hunt a lot of spooky wild pheasants in marginal areas and I do best with either my SS triggered O/U choked SK/Mod, or my auto running a straight mod, so go figure.

I'm not a historian, but I think a lot of this proper gun stuff came over the pond in the early 1900's and took root with the grouse hunters looking for light and trim bird guns. The gun writers starting with Foster set the parameters, and it's been a prevailing opinion of many and often comes off as snobbiness, and sometimes that's just what it is.
tramroad28
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:05 am  Reply with quote

I simply wish that expressing a dislike of someone taking a "superior choice" was applied more equally on the Internet.

Choosing to tote and note a particular trigger number or grip shape is little different than choosing to subtly toot of need accompanying a birddog's manner of superior performance.
Taking an available option such as a back barrel first can happen and independent of any level of dog ability or dog training.
Real world, to me and with a pointing dog, may not always equal...open barrel first.
Odds on, yes....always...nope X10.
Superior can be boring.....no matter to what the concept is applied..again, to me.

Owning a birddog that may never need to reach a level beyond that which makes the owner grin happens and, hopefully, no great loss need be attached....I would hope that much the same sides a scattergun.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:27 am  Reply with quote

tramroad28,

I agree with you 100% a gun dog never needs to be a anything more than what his owner expects him to be. The dog is not a piece of mechanical engineering it is a living entity provide to us by God.

A gun on the other hand is a man made piece of engineering and it needs to be what it's owner most likes. Other peoples opinions on your gun should not phase the owner what so ever. It's your gun and it's the engineering you most like or can afford.

Never worry about what other people think, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

Chukar60,
There is nothing wrong with the Net, it provides freedom of communications, I do agree some people abuse it, with freedom comes great responsibility. I try never to put in print here no the Net, anything I would not say to a man in person. Not everything one says has to be agreed on either.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:28 am  Reply with quote

Let me try to summarize

Some like Blonds
Some like Brunettes
Some like Red Heads

Some like them all Smile

I used to like them all, but about 50 years ago I married a Red Head.
She STILL loves me and tolerates my "special qualities"

What more could a man want?

he he he

Mike

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:16 am  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Let me try to summarize

Some like Blonds
Some like Brunettes
Some like Red Heads

Some like them all Smile

I used to like them all, but about 50 years ago I married a Red Head.
She STILL loves me and tolerates my "special qualities"

What more could a man want?

he he he

Mike

Yeah, while we're at it, how about the statement that gentlemen prefer blondes? (sorry, I couldn't help myself)