16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  SXS Configuration
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:57 am  Reply with quote

I understand your use of two triggers to get instant choke and shot size selection and thinking about that, I guess it is very similar to how I use my single triggers and screw in chokes. When I head west for my fall hunts, I put my LMod/IMod chokes in and switch to Fiocchi GP #6's to compensate for the greater flushing distances I'll encounter on Huns, chukar and sharptail. For pheasants I switch over to #5 GP. For wild California quail on my buddy's ranch I go to IC/Mod and my 1 oz #7 nickel plated hand loads. When I return home and start hunting preserve quail I'm back to SK/IC and #8's. So basically the screw in chokes allow me the flexibility that double triggers allow others, with the exception I use the right barrel first on all occasions. The only advantage that I can see in my setup is I do have that second barrel with a tighter choke instantly available if needed. Different strokes I guess.

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:31 am  Reply with quote

Makes total sense, Riflemeister. 40 years ago when I was 19 I bought my first OU 20 with a single selective trigger (SST), and the idea of that first IC barrel followed by a Mod seemed like the holy grail of logic. Never leaving well-enough alone the "what-if?" voices starte to whisper, and before long something that should be simple and a relatively small part of the hunting whole takes on its own life of second-guessing and uncertainty.

Fortunately a long career of upland with the experiences and shotguns that come and go have left me with the following:

Double triggers with two very different chokes work very well.

SST triggers with relatively close chokes work very well.

Single triggers with one choke work very well.

A little bit of strategic thinking is a fun part of the sport, but it's a short hop to overcomplicating everything.
Griffon
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:04 am  Reply with quote

Wow, shoot what you like and enjoy. What a bunch of gibberish.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

Griffon wrote:
Wow, shoot what you like and enjoy. What a bunch of gibberish.

Cool

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
William Ross
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

My personal preference is English stock, beaver tail forend and single trigger. Shoot what you like.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:44 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Each to his own, in my case I own both DT and SST double guns, I want the DT in the Grouse woods most of the time, however some of my 20 and 28 gauge guns are SST. My modern 28 gauge L.C. Smith made for Marlin by Zabala only came with SST, I do wish it had both DT and the Brown Rotary Bolt however. I also have an original Hunter Arms 1926 Field Grade L.C. Smith with SST, a nice light gun that carries and shoots well, however my favorite 20 gauge is a 1910 L.C. Smith with DT. I do not plan on giving any of them up, they get used every year hunting in different places for different kinds of bird hunting. The original 20 gauge Field Grade Smith with SST is one of the nicest Mearns Quail guns, I have ever owned.

Each to his own!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Original 1926 L.C. Smith Field Grade under and the modern L.C. Smith 28 gauge on top, both with SST. Both have 26" barrels, my original Smith however weighs 5.6 lbs, the modern 28 weighs just under 6 Lbs.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm  Reply with quote

The best configuration for a side by side shotgun? I always figured that the barrels ought to sit one next to the other.

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:43 am  Reply with quote

At a registered skeet shoot in March I was shooting my 16ga CZ Ringneck in the 12ga event and had a fellow tell me that my barrels were stacked the wrong way. I told him no, but his were, If we had been meant to shoot and O/U our eyes would be that way! He laughed about that as he walked away but then quit laughing when I shot a better score than he did! Laughing

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:34 pm  Reply with quote

I'm late to this party, as usual, but have enjoyed the posts. Riflemeister, you're stirring the pot, but the stew turned out alright, I'd say. Many amusing posts here. Dave Erickson -- I especially liked your first post on this thread. I hate to drag the thread back to the original (I did like the drift to dogs, etc), but SxS config is a great subject, and there is room for many choices, which is what freedom is all about.

For me, if the gun and the loads are heavy (as those 2 things should be tied together for comfort), I prefer the pistol grip for a stronger "hold", and in the case of a DT gun, with long radius so I can easily reach both triggers. For ST's, tighter grip angles are OK. For more "reactive" mount-and-shoot situations (upland game), I prefer the DT, straight grip and splinter forend config. -- the sports-car of shotguns. For high-volume shooting the beavertail forend makes sense to the potentially toasted fingers of your lead hand, but gloves and slip-on hand protectors work well for the traditionalist. But I'll shoot anything, as those of you with whom I have shot can attest.

Anyway, Riflemeister, thanks for the good thread. Neither you, nor I nor anyone else needs to justify his/her gun config choices. It makes for great conversation over a beer or a drink, but in the end, it's whatever blows your hair back, baby! Cool
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

Max Smoke,

Great post sir!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

canvasback
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

I'm a somewhat SxS traditionalist. I prefer splinter forends and double triggers. In fact, all my guns are DT with splinter forends.

However, the stocks have some variance. Generally, if it's a heavier gun for the gauge (over 7 lbs for 12 ga, around 6 1/2 lbs for 16 ga) I like a semi pistol or POW grip. But if it's a lighter gun, I like them with straight stocks.

I'll throw this into the mix. When I was transitioning from pumps to SxS 15 years ago, I thought I wanted (and mostly bought) ejectors. But over the last decade my thinking has changed....not enough to reject an ejector gun, but my preference is now clearly for extractors.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

canvasback,

I can understand your thinking, I have both ejector and extractor guns. Because of the Grouse hunting I do, I prefer the extractor double guns. My modern 28 gauge L.C.Smith has ejectors and every time I am down in the snow looking for an empty shell casing, I swear I am going to disable the ejectors. I do wish my L.C. Smith guns had the LeFever engineering to disable the ejectors at the turn of a knob. Great piece of engineering by LeFever.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PatrickB
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:24 pm  Reply with quote

I've never had extractors but concur now days I likely would prefer them. Exception would be a dove field when the shooting is fast and furious and ejectors are useful. Otherwise I really don't need ejectors in the uplands.

My preference is English stock, splinter forend, double triggers but in agreement with others
that each shooter should enjoy the configuration that works for them and not worry about others.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:45 am  Reply with quote

I prefer ejectors because I hunt a lot of upland birds that covey and sometimes give a staggered flush. Nothing worse than missing an iffy shot on a single that gets up and then having the covey flush well in range while reloading the gun. A couple of my SXS's have inertia triggers and I've been bitten by having one barrel fired and the empty ejected when the main covey gets up. Slam the gun closed, on a bird, "click" and then nothing. With one of my mechanical trigger guns I can at least go "click", "bang".

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:46 am  Reply with quote

Riflemeister,

Cure your problem with a DT L.C. Smith ejector double gun, they work correctly every time. I tolerate a SST gun for shooting Clays, not for Grouse & Woodcock hunting however.

I always tease about using the right gun for the right job, it's not a joke when your gun will not fire as numerous birds are flushing all around you. God only provides so many opportunities in a mans life time, to gun his wild birds. Choose your bird gun wisely.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pigeon Grade Guns are always nice

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total