16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Noticing the new Dog Grooming Costs for Field Dogs.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Having owned as many as 10 Grouse dogs all at the same time in my Grouse Dog home kennel, I have always used a professional dog groomer to make sure my gun dogs have been kept in great condition as far as hair cuts, toe nails and bug spray goes. This Grooming usually goes on about 3 times a year, with me doing touch ups in between.

Now my different Setter dogs average about 40 - 65 Lbs and I do like them looking great. They all get field cuts especially in the summer months, to be cool and not shed so much, inside our game room where they live.

Having just returned from the Groomers here in Murrysville, Pa where Pine Creek Heston our male Blue Belton Ryman Setter was just groomed, with one of these field cuts. His toe nails trimmed and given a bath, I was a might dismayed at the new cost, $75.00 for my medium sized Setter, to be groomed.

Now if you are a groomer get ready to be offended, to me this is an outrageous cost for a medium sized field dog grooming. If I had 8 or 10 dogs still in the kennel, you can see the cost for just having my dogs groomed each year.

Now being the business man that I am, I will be looking for a different dog groomer.

What have you gentlemen been paying for your professional dog grooming? For many years my old professional groomer made a deal with me and as long as she got to groom all the dog in my kennel it was $25.00 a dog for the field cuts, no matter how big or small the gun dog happened to be. My Groomer passed away this last year and I had to get a new dog groomer. Are all the Grooming cost this expensive now?

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

That's another good thing about GSP's!! Low maintenance and I can easily take care of the nail trimming and baths myself.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

I run German Shorthairs. I trim their nails myself or have the vet do it during a visit. When they get a little raunchy I take them to the creek for a swim. Not much maintenance required on a Shorthair. Now if that new pup would stop crapping in the kennel, they would be real low maintenance.

tramroad28
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

I buzz my setters myself in the Spring and then let the burr removal in the Fall indicate where extra work is needed.

Nails normally take care of themselves but a free vet trim @ their yearly shots is available on an as need basis.

My Gordon is in the house so each room has little or large piles of black hair that I can name.....makes each room look great, to me.

No bug spray.....bug spray????
Seresto Up!

And personally, I like the maintenance required by a setter's hair and even had a GSP.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

Bird Dogs at the hairdresser? What's next pedicures with matching toe nail paint to match your Jacket? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry just couldn't help myself.

PatrickB
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

50 lb setter. Groomer comes to the house twice a year @ $85 per visit not including tip. Bath, teeth cleaning, trim nails is part of the deal. We don't like her shaved down so we get what they term as a field cut - length of feathering determined by the customer. An upcharge for that and I'm sure the price reflects coming to the house. Cindy trims as necessary between visits.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I sure do understand running GSP's had a few of them myself down thru the years, my brother has an 7 month old GSP pup, she is doing quite well both in the field and home. Does most of his own grooming like you guys do, with no problems. Not quite like owning Setters however.

Patrick B,

For $85.00 having the groomer come to the house is not bad, will have to look into this, if we have any in the area. My Vet comes right to the house.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

I take my golden retriever to the local vet in the spring where his niece gives her the spring haircut to be cooler in the summer heat and it also makes it easier to get the cockleburs and everything else off. The price went up to $50 last year but I can handle that once a year.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

My grooming cost is a set of Wahl clippers and a Dremel tool with a drum sander on it. I've had several setters but now it's GWP's a lab 2 beagles and a oops. The wirehairs need coat attention and all need nails done. Dawn dish soap and Main and Tail conditioner round out the kit. The conditioner helps with burrs. During hunting season I apply a diluted solution with a spray bottle,brush lightly and let dry the night before.
oldog
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:20 am  Reply with quote

REALLY ?

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:44 am  Reply with quote

oldog wrote:
REALLY ?

Yup,works out great. Do all my own shots and worming including heartworm too.
Gil S
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
oldog wrote:
REALLY ?

You don't have your dogs on a monthly heartworm medication? Gil
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

Gil S,

You can buy Ivermectin at places like Tractor Supply. That takes care of heartworm and other types of worms.

You give it orally and you measure it with a syringe.......You get the syringes at Tractor Supply also.

Ivermectin is the same stuff that is in the chewables that you buy like HeartGuard......but it is much cheaper.

Rabies, distemper, parvo, Lyme and the rest I leave to the Vet.

Last edited by MSM2019 on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

eng-pointer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

I know I am going to regret commenting on this but the one thing I will say and then I will absolutely shut up on this subject is 0.1 cc per 10# of the 1% ivermectin that MSM2019 is recommending is a gross overdose for preventing heartworm disease and could result in serious toxicity. Once again I am sure I will regret saying this but if it prevents someone from hurting their dog it is worth it. In addition ivermectin for dogs is a prescription medication and it would be not only unethical but illegal for me to advise anyone on proper prevention/ treatment of their dog without a valid client patient relationship and so I will absolutely not. I just have treated way to many dogs for ivermectin toxicity to not at least warn people of this potential toxicity.

James Flinchbaugh, DVM
Kansas State University '96, '98

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

Gil S wrote:
Ohio Wirehair wrote:
oldog wrote:
REALLY ?

You don't have your dogs on a monthly heartworm medication? Gil

Yep, I use the paste. I also use Panacure from TSC for what Ivermectian doesn't cover if I need a complete worming. I order all my shots from Revival Animal Health. Saves a bunch of money when your doing 10 dogs. (mine and the daughters)