16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 ga RST Shells For Dove
ford4wd08
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:20 am  Reply with quote

Hi all,

Who is using RST shells for dove hunting?

I see they have quiet a few for 16 ga in 2 1/2" length offerings.

My model 12 is a 2 & 3/4" gun, but I might want to try out some of the 2 1/2" shells as I've read they load a good shell with good components regardless of the length.

My question is which model of shell do people use? I've read through some of the names and descriptions. Not sure it all makes sense.

I did find their price sheet online. Here it is posted below:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:28 am  Reply with quote

I don't dove hunt,but have had great luck with their 1 oz lites in 6's on pheasant. Imagine same shell in smaller pellet size would work great for doves.

skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:19 am  Reply with quote

I do a bit of dove hunting Smile

You will find the 2 1/2" Lite at 1200 fps and using 7 1/8 or 8 shot to be a great choice.

Mike

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:27 am  Reply with quote

I can agree with using the Lite shells at 1200fps. I used those loads in my LC Smith at the Southern SideXSide and will be using them again next year since they have a truck load off ammo there for sale while shipping them to me is expensive. if you have a local shop that carries the ammo then definitely enjoy.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
ford4wd08
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:10 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I agree that the shipping from them seems to be high.

I have yet to find a local shop that carries them. I will look around still.

I just ordered some RGL's from Academy just in case Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:21 am  Reply with quote

Last season was my first Dove hunt. I used the 7/8oz Falcon Light loads because that is what I had in storage (it was a last minute invite to the shoot). Mostly pass shooting at 30 yards. No complaints. Plan on using the remaining shells this year.

RST does make high quality loads. I don't reload as often these days and therefore mostly shoot RST. For Grouse/WC I like the Paper Fiber Wad as I shoot older SxSs that pattern fiber loads well. But a 1oz load @ 1200fps seemed a little much for high volume Dove shooting with a 5-15 lb gun. Which loads might be best for you is purely a personal choice. There are endless opinions on the best Dove loads but I would say the Falcon Lite or Lite are pretty good options - easy on the gun, easy on the shoulder. Maybe order a few boxes of each and see what you like best. JMO.

Last edited by PatrickB on Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
ford4wd08
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, what an awesome picture!

I just found Lion Country Supply online.

They have the lites in stock and their shipping is more reasonable than RST's website.

I think I'll order me a few boxes of shells to try out.

Link for people interested: https://www.lcsupply.com/RST-Best-Grade-Lite-Classic-Shotshell/productinfo/RSTLITE/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

You all may have already know this, but I did find this on their website for help with the naming of their shells:

Load Names
What does Lite, Falcon Lite, A-5, brush mean?

Here we will break down what some of the names mean and what those particular shells do.
Lite – These are the standard loads in each gauge, plastic hull and plastic wad.
Falcon Lite- These are a plastic hull and plastic wad as well, with a 7/8 oz shot load
Ultra Lite – These are our Ύ oz loads
MaxiLite - This would be a lighter version of our 12 gauge 1 oz load
Paper – Any load with paper in the name will have a paper hull, they can have either a plastic wad or a fibre wad
Fibre Wad – Any load with fibre wad in the name will have a biodegradable felt/cardboard wad
Paper Fibre Wad – You guessed it! Paper hull with the biodegradable wad
Spreader – The wad in this load allows for a faster opening pattern. While it may very gun to gun, this load should open the pattern about a full choke.
Brush – This is a petal-less wad that allows the pattern to open faster and keeps the gun truer to the choke
Woodcock – In the 12, 16, and 20 gauges this is a spreader load with #10 shot. In the 28 gauge this is a brush load with #10 shot
A-5 – This load in 16 gauge was formulated especially for the older semi auto’s. A slightly hotter powder was used to generate enough pressure to cycle the recoil action.
Pigeon- These loads are hotter and heavier than our standard loads and are not recommended for vintage guns

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:47 am  Reply with quote

+1 for Lite #8 at 1200. I shoot them from my Elsie at doves.- sometimes I hit one! Very Happy
ford4wd08
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:57 am  Reply with quote

I went with 7.5's for the lites I ordered.

I'm excited for them to get here. I'll definitely being saving these hulls as I am thinking about exploring reloading in the future...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

I quit reloading shotshells for a few years, so when the St. Paul Sweet 16 shoot came around last year I bought 10 boxes of RST's for my short chambered M12 and they shot just fine. Another 10 boxes rolled in for this year's event but it was canx and they sit there looking perfect for dove season. I'm not sure what I'll use but will not hesitate to use them if it's a 16ga that I take out.

ford4wd08
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Got my shells in today! Might try a box out this weekend for some practice.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:28 am  Reply with quote

I normally would buy Polywad and checked their price for two flats of 16 ga. Vintagers. The shipping was an astounding $68 from Roberta, Ga. to my home less than 200 miles away. I ordered from RST and the shipping price was half of what I was quoted by PW and RST is in PA. As I stopped in my tracks in the Polywad order, I was emailed to complete the order. I replied regarding shipping and the manager contacted me and said that was what UPS's charges were and stated RST must ship more to receive a discount. He was going to inquire UPS regarding the costs. High volume shippers receive discounts which accounts for some companies eating shipping costs on orders over a certain price point. I received a flat of 7.5 and a flat of #8 from RST early this week. The two box flats were strapped together which makes me think that PW was going to make two shipments instead of one which may partially explain the higher cost. I've noticed several hiccups in dealing with PW the past couple of years since Jay sold the company. I hope they can straighten things out as they have priced me out with shipping costs not to mention sales tax. Gil
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:34 am  Reply with quote

Ouch! And I always thought RST had high shipping rates.
ford4wd08
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:50 am  Reply with quote

Wow. That's a lot on shipping!

For the RST I received from Lion Country Supply I paid $7.98 for basically 2 day shipping for 3 boxes. There was a cheaper option, but I felt that was reasonable shipping cost.