16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Pheasant recipe for 16GA Sterly
jig
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:35 am  Reply with quote

For a later era 16 GA Savage/Utica Sterly can Federal copper plated premiums #6 (1500fps) be safely shot through it? Also, does anyone have a good or allowable pheasant recipe I can reload?

Also, a hot quail load would be nice to have too. Something in the 1275+ range with #7 1/2 would be nice. I would greatly appreciate some info here as I should have my new press any day now and am planning a pheasant/quail/hun/chukar trip for Dec 10-13

Thanks-PS It is 2 3/4"
mike campbell
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:23 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:51 am  Reply with quote

jig: it's going to take alot to shoot a Sterly loose BUT the 'youngest' Sterly still has 60 year old wood. The most stout load I'd suggest shooting would be something like the Federal or Winchester SuperX 1 1/8 oz at 1295 fps. The B&P F2 Classic 1 1/16 is another good choice at 1280 fps (and comes in 5s)

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:52 am  Reply with quote

Amen to that Drew. I've yet to see any game bird hit solidly with any lead or bismouth load faster than 1300 FPS that died any faster or surer. The right shot size at a moderate velocity of 1200 to 1300 FPS will drop it like it was struck by lightning if its centered well. Velocity will not help kill a fringed bird either. Only pellets through the vitals kill quickly.

For most average pheasant hunting at average ranges, a 1 ounce load of # 6 hard shot at 1275-1300 will killl them dead as can be. I've even used #7 pigeon shot successfully on stocked birds in close over dogs. 1-1/8 ounces of #5 shot at about the same velocity range will dump just about any wild rooster out to 40 yards under all but the worst conditions. A 1-1/4 ounce of #4 hard shot at 1275 FPS is about all she wrote for a 16 and will drop any pheasant that ever flew dead as Hamlet out to about as far as an excellent shot can regularly hit. Few of these thumpers will be needed during the average season and then only as insurance during very trying conditions as the second shot. However, even these crushers would be easier on your gun than a 1500 FPS load of enough shot to do the job.

If you must limit the velocity due to a gun's pressure restrictionsto the low end of the velocity range, then go bigger with the shot size. 1500 FPS might kill at one end, but it will also maim at the other, both gun and shooter. It will also probably blow open a good pattern too fairly regularly. Why strain yourself or your gun. I'd not shoot these hot loads for any reason, even through my Citori.
jig
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for your opinions guys-but what i relly wanted was a load recipe.
I have killed many wild pheasants in my life. I have been impressed with Federals 1500FPS copper plated loading as well. I have used all sorts of loadings. I have never seen anything that works like those loads in practice in the field, in real time. You see, I have seen it with my own eyes and they do drop pheasants better than anything I've ever seen. You can discount that till the cows come in-but I have seen it. Okay end of that. I didnt want to turn this into a deabte on what works in the real world wide open wheat country of Eastern Washington. Just some loads please...if they are lower FPS than great, I'd love to give them a whirl. As for recoil with those 1500FPS loads-never noticed it or batted any eye. I don't think I feel recoil except on the clays range.Never been recoil sensitive in the least in the field. That said if you think they will beat up the sterly too much then I will refrain. Although they didnt bother the 62 superposed I used to shoot that I could ever tell. Thanks again.

Maybe the 1500FPS efficiency is all in my head though and I just got lucky and dropped every rooster i ever shot with it stone dead, far and near so now I'm a believer. I'm willing to concede that as a possiblilty.One never knows.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:32 pm  Reply with quote

jig: I have to agree about the 12g Federal Premium Copper-Plated Wing Shok loads-our outfitter in S. Dakota almost demands guys use that load with 4s (and the philistines I hunt with all shoot Benelli Montefeltros and SBEs Rolling Eyes ) I can't handle that recoil, so use the 1 1/8 oz load (which I think they no longer make Confused ) BUT my box states 1400 fps. What Federal load is 1500?

jig
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

I will try and get a pix of a box of them for you. The wingshoks are goos too. Correct me if I'm wrong but arent the wingshoks packed in a blue box? The premiums I'm talking about are in a red box and they are not called wingshoks. Can't reamember ther tag line or hwether or not they are buffered too. will find out anf let you know. The palce I use to buy them in my town went out of biz and all the others are carrying is the wingshoks at 1400FPS if I'm not mistaken
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

jig: the old Federal Premium Hi-Brass were in a mostly gold with blue box and were replaced by the Wing Shoks in a mostly red with black box but I think they're the same loading.

mike campbell
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jimt
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

The Federal Premium buffered, plated 1 1/4 oz loading is now called the "Pemium Wing-Shok Magnum". The Federal website lists it at 1260 fps. Still plenty stout but a long ways from 1500 fps. I have to admit I've sent a couple down the left barrel of my late Utica Sterlingworth but I have other guns better suited for that sort of abuse. They do pattern well and are leathal pheasant pills.
jig
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:35 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, and in reality I'm not really buying this gun to shoot those loads either. I'm just curious as to the margin of safety and what is best for the gun. Really, I'm eyeing this gun as a quail/chukar gun and occaisonal pheasant shooter. I have another gun for open country roosters that I can pack with anything my heart desires. I would like to use 1 1/8 loads for quail in 71/2 one bbl and 8's or 9's in the open bbl for quail. 1 1/8 -1 1/4 6's and 7 1/2's for chukar. probably like a nice 1oz load too for clays and quail with 9's to 7 1/2. Thanks
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:46 am  Reply with quote

If you constantly want to shoot 1-1/8 oz. or 1-1/4 oz. loads, why don't you buy yourself a 12 gauge? Confused

jig
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:55 am  Reply with quote

I don't want to constantly-plus, I already have a 12GA. I also want to shoot 7/8's, 1oz and 1 1/16's. But ultimately, I will find and use whatever patterns best in the gun and is appropriate for the task
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:14 am  Reply with quote

I'm sure there are a few only partly dead horses that need beating more than this one, but 1oz. loads in a 16ga will kill anything you want to kill, really dead.

Athough I do use a few 1-1/8 oz. loads in my Sterlingworth when walking up a west-Kansas CRP draw, I'd never use more than 1oz any other time, and certainly not for quail.

My 16's have never seen a 1-1/4oz load and never will.

JMHO, which when coupled with $4-$5, will buy you a cup of designer coffee.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
jig
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:20 am  Reply with quote

okay then dang it where is my 1oz recipe already? I'd gladly accept one for 1oz 6's nickel and 1oz 7 1/2's. Let's hurry now my new press is gonna be here any day and I'm leaving in about a half hour to pick up the sterly and take it to the smith.