16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Herter Hulls / Remington SP16 Wads / Longshot Powder
PablosDryFliesAndBirdshot
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

Is it recommendable to reload Herters Hulls with Rem SP16 1 and 1/8th wads and longshot powder? The reason I ask is because I currently have a metric tonne of all three.
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:07 am  Reply with quote

In your search if you substitute the Herters hull for Ched, Fio, Rio or Win Poly you'll find several recipes that exist for that combo but the wad is a bit loose in there and with LS being so fine grained I think you may get some powder migration. There have been similar threads about this and re-loaders modifying the wad by flaring the powder cup or using wax paper or nitro card or plastic food wrap patch under the cup to seal the migration but that is a bit of fiddling that can be alleviated by getting a different wad.

If only going from the bench to the truck to the skeet/trap field probably do fine but bouncing around in the hunt truck and wandering around all day might see some migration.

Good luck with it....