16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Installing choke tubes
John1
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 16 gauge gun that I'm thinking of having choke tubes installed and wonder
what threads to have put in or are there many choices. Another words, would Rem chokes be good or the Browning Invector system or something else. I'm not up to speed on the various 16 after market chokes but I'm guessing it would be best to go with the most popular and widely available chokes.
Anybody that's had this done, i would like to hear from you.

Regards, John.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

What gun?

https://randywakeman.com/shotgunMikeOrlen.htm

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:27 pm  Reply with quote

What gun is a great question.

IMO just send it to Briley and be done with it, have it done right. As I said, IMO. Have never been disappointed with their work. And I actually have communication on the work being done. But it never has taken that long and the work is "dead nuts on". At least from the evaluation of a retried Navy Chief Machinest Mate.
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:59 am  Reply with quote

I've had tubes put in several guns by several different installers and will continue to employ Colonial for my tube work. Their True Size threads/tubes do everything I need to do with a shotgun. Flush, extended knurled & extended non-tox tubes in 16 & 10ga, good to go. Nice reachable folks that know they're product and are open to communicating available options.

They did a high focus tight tolerance rework job on one of my 10ga O/U's where there was little material left by the previous installer and they did a fantastic job. Been running machine shop machines since 7th grade 40+yrs now and understand tight tolerance work, while discussing every detail of the job they made it sound and look easy.

Briley is probably the only shop I haven't used but I've read nothing but high praise regarding their work or tubes.

What gun are you considering putting tubes in?

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:29 am  Reply with quote

Briley
DiamondHunts
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:15 am  Reply with quote

I have never used Briley for their choke tube installation, but I do use their tubes almost exclusively on my factory threaded guns.

I recently had the pleasure of touring their Houston, TX manufacturing facility which is also the same location as their gunsmith shop and showroom and it is a first class operation. Extremely clean, friendly employees and lots of brand new CNC and manual machines. I was shown basically every step of the way in each department as well as explained and shown their quality control processes. Very impressive to say the least.

I personally wouldn’t hesitate to send them any of my guns for barrel work.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:55 am  Reply with quote

Briley thin walls. Everything else is second rate.

Hootch
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:35 am  Reply with quote

Briley, recently had some installed on a Merkel 12ga, that was way too tightly choked, instead of just opening them up, had the tubes installed.
Briley folks very friendly, process was smooth and quick, took about two weeks, maybe a day or two short of that.
Just call them on the phone, they will be more than happy to discuss.
rdja
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:23 am  Reply with quote

Have had choke tubes installed on 2 guns both at Briley. High end work. Sent one gun to “another” gunsmith and it sat in has shop for months with no work being done. Finally after the 3rd call over 4 months that it was “going into shop” and still no work! I asked for its return.
Briley had both guns back to me in very short order. Would not go anywhere else.
Nate
gunsrus
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:47 am  Reply with quote

Not a fan of choke tubes . Ask yourself , how often you would change them . Open them up to what might be necessary and go with it . I hate cleaning tubes after a shoot.
I own numerous guns with tubes and never change them .
Unless shooting dramatic Clays games , chokes remain the same . JMHO
John1
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:37 am  Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for for all the replies. The gun in question is a Remington 1148. I haven't
had the gun real long so i want to shoot it some before i mess with it. i thought if i like the gun and can shoot it well I could make it more versaitile by adding chokes tho I'm in no hurry to do so. Any there's also the issue of molesting an older all original gun that somehow doesn't always appeal to me.

John
browningsweet161977
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:14 am  Reply with quote

I have a older remington 1100 with the briley thin walls. I am very happy with the set up, it is worth the money to have it done. If you decide to go that route you won't be disappointed.

Browning citori grade 6 28" 16 gauge
Ducks Rx
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

Dean Harris Skeet’s gun shop in Tahlequah,OK has done several Rem 16 ga model 31 and Rem 16 ga mod 11-48 for me. I sent Trulock choke tube with truchoke threads and he threaded barrel and fitted choke tubes. Great job at reasonable prices and good turnaround. World class gunsmith and very personable guy. IMO he is the best and I used Briley and Mike Orlen