16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Remington 31 question
mart
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:55 am  Reply with quote

I have a couple of classic 16 pumps, one a 1938 Ithaca 37S, vent rib 26 inch IC and a Winchester 12, slick barrel 26 inch with a poly choke. I have been considering adding a Remington 31 to the collection.

What are the chances of finding a factory, 26 inch, vent or solid rib model 31 with an IC choke? I see lots of slick barrel 28 inch mostly in modified and full.

I thought I'd treat myself to a 31 after we get our house sold and get moved.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:03 am  Reply with quote

You will have better luck looking for a Skeet 31

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/remington-shotguns---pump/remington-model-31-skeet-16-ga--slide-action--pump--shotgun--26-quot--bbl---skeet-choke---mfg--1946.cfm?gun_id=100832934

Mike

p.s. fun reading
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/remington-31-16-gauge.420790/

mart
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:20 am  Reply with quote

Sadly, that one is sold. I'd give serious consideration to a skeet model.
Researcher
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:09 pm  Reply with quote

Solid rib possibly, vent rib no. Remington only offered a vent rib on the 12-gauge 30-inch barrel Model 31 TC "Target" Grade trap gun and the 26-inch barrel 12-gauge Model 31 Skeet Gun.

mart
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks. Always lots of good knowledge here. I didn't think I'd ever seen a 31 other than a trap model with a vent rib. I know I've seen one solid rib, 26" IC 16 gauge but it was the only one I've ever seen.

Last edited by mart on Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Woody402
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

Buy any 31 one you can. You will not regret it. Slickest pump gun ever made. Way better than a 37 or model 12.
Woody402
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:22 am  Reply with quote

Buy any 31 one you can. You will not regret it. Slickest pump gun ever made. Way better than a 37 or model 12.
Woody402
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:06 am  Reply with quote

16'er
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

I found there was something about the Rem31 I just couldn’t warm up to. Loved the action, very smooth/slick. Had both a steel and alloy frame 31, sold theboth on here a few years back. Just couldn’t hit reliably with them. Didn’t seem to be anything way out of line dimension wise, just wasn’t my gun I guess.

Have kept my 37r, which is almost as smooth, but fits/hits better for me. Shame since the alloy frame gun was quite light and would be a great gun to carry all day.
kgb
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
I found there was something about the Rem31 I just couldn’t warm up to. Loved the action, very smooth/slick. Had both a steel and alloy frame 31, sold theboth on here a few years back. Just couldn’t hit reliably with them. Didn’t seem to be anything way out of line dimension wise, just wasn’t my gun I guess.

Have kept my 37r, which is almost as smooth, but fits/hits better for me. Shame since the alloy frame gun was quite light and would be a great gun to carry all day.

Same here with a solid an an alloy gun. Slick actions and I imagine a solid ribbed version would make a good target gun. I've had a few 16ga 37's and they're nostalgic favorites that haven't fit me so great--although a 20ga does.

Beagleman
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

I have 31L's in 16ga. One a polychoke, the other an imp cyl. I enjoy hunting with both. They are the smoothest slide action guns I have ever used. I also have a 20ga. Imp cyl 31L. I have 37's and 12's in 16 ga and 20 ga and like them all, but the model 31 is my favorite to carry on an all day rabbit hunt. All 3 are quality made guns. Find a 31, buy it, hunt with it, enjoy it.

kgb
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

Beagleman wrote:
Find a 31, buy it, hunt with it, enjoy it.

Good guidance. The rest of the story is, if it's not what fits you or your preference, try something else. Lots of options in our world.

calebg
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

mart wrote:
Thanks. Always lots of good knowledge here. I didn't think I'd ever seen a 31 other than a trap model with a vent rib. I know I've seen one solid rib, 26" IC 16 gauge but it was the only one I've ever seen.

I just bought an extra 26” solid rib IC barrel from a guy in Kentucky. It was supposed to be here today, but with the current state of the USPS it’s now unaccounted for. I’m hoping it arrives soon.

Serial number on the barrel is close to my receiver, so I have my fingers crossed it’ll fit without major metalwork.
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:41 pm  Reply with quote

I have no experience of the 31, however I do know the Ithaca 37 quite well.

My grandfathers pre war model 37 is incredibly smooth, so much so it seems like an automatic

I rather think good examples of model 31 Remingtons, M12 Winchester’s, and Ithaca 37’s are all just that good. While bad ones exist, the good one’s are all greaT