16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  ww2 bring back 16ga drilling
bobski
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:38 am  Reply with quote

when I was at my peak of interest in 16ga's back in the 90's, I acquired this gun. let me tell you the true story as it was told to me by an aging vet..............

This is one of the few weapons not destroyed or confiscated during the american occupation of Germany in W.W.II after the surrender.

Its a Sauer Drilling 16gax9.37R, Exposed Hammers, Modern Sling And Swivels, Even Patina, No Cracks, All Matching Serial Numbers, Even Wear, Butt Marked W/ Monogram (D) Deutschland.

This gun belonged to the Head Game Warden of The Black Forest in Germany.
Major Wesley Shipe, (part of the U.S. Army Occupation Forces under Marshall law,) was begged by the starving family to keep the gun. They wanted to use it to hunt game in the forest. Since it was a rare non military round, Shipe agreed. Later, supplies began to take hold and Germany regained its strength as a nation. As a token of their appreciation for saving their lives, the warden gave the gun to Shipe at the end of his tour late in the 40’s. This is a genuine WW2 bring back gun. Papers are long lost.
When Wesley sold me this gun in 1992, I promised not to let this story die.
Wesley passed away in Petersburg Va., October of 1996. He was survived by his wife
and numerous children. None of which had any interest in firearms. Wesley is best known for his unselfishness by donating of an enormous military firearms collection to the Smithsonian Museum. Many guns dating back to the colonial war are still on display there. He also played a clarinet in The U.S. Army Band, Washington D.C..
Wesley was a fine man. a real soldier, and my friend. He is truly missed.

I sold this gun as part of my range purchase in 2010. it was sold to another old army vet who promised to keep the story alive. I hope to do it as well here on 16a.com.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/57902_600x400/] [/URL]

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Nice
Sure wish you still had it and
would come to Amarillo for a shoot-en-fest Smile
Mike