16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading 16's for the first time..
melbaLT4
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:57 am  Reply with quote

Well actually reloading anything for the first time. I buy my 12ga. 5 cases at a time at dealer cost from a good friend who owns a gun and pawn, a little cheaper than Wally World, so buying in bulk saves me. I really have no time or desire at the moment to reload my shells, it might even cost me to do so, havent figured it up but it would be close. ANYway sorry that is not what this post is about. This is about Haylee's 16ga. shells, my buddys cost on any kind of 16 is more than Wally World(4.57) or Basspro (3.99) for Remington Game Loads. At least that is what the guy at BassPro said when I call yesterday. Does anyone know about Gander Mountain?(1 hr away) I will buy from BassPro (2 hrs. away) as many and as often as I can, but I'm sure there will be times that they will be too high or too far away to buy from them, so we will be saving every shell that we can. We shoot at a range that if the shell hits the ground its their's,but not that often. So that brings me to my questions.

I know that a MEC is the be all and end all of reloaders and if I dont have one I should not even consider reloading or even posting a ??, or a various other sundry of responses that I got on my other forum from the reloaders.

I am considering a Lee Load All II because I can get one for next to nothing, and she will only shoot 2-3 boxes a week, unless we go to a shoot somewhere, so high volume is very low on the priority list.

1. Jeff said that a Lee loader does not have a sizer and that his A-5 gets picky about unsized shells, he would know since he is the A-5 guy. Does a Lee Load All II have a sizer?

2. I assume that the RGL is quite reloadable, what about Rio's?

I have never reloaded so I am not biased to one type/brand of wad, or powder. As for shot I will buy whatever is cheap and round, right?

3. Can someone Give me a recomendation on powder, wad, and recipe that will be close to the original RGL? preferably something economical and readily availability.

4. Where and how to get these components would be helpful also.

I see "Low Pressure"around here alot, I don't thik that applies to a '61 A-5 right?

Sorry I guess purpose is important too. All she will use this gun for is skeet, some 5-stand, and maybe SC, but I doubt it. I can't get her to hunt, but I am talking her into killing a wild boar (different forum, different gun).

Thanks for any help you can give, I am a first timer but I do want to get started, and get started right so I thougth I'd ask the experts.

Gig Em'
Aggies '05
brdhnt
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:25 pm  Reply with quote

Jeff,

Look up the post 'Reloading for Dummies'. It will answer many of your questions.

The Load-All's use a ring-style resizer. THe problem with these and modern steel based hulls is that often a ring will form at the very base that will prevent chambering/extracting in some guns. This is discussed in that post also.

Welcome to the Society and welcome to the Wonderful World of 16's.

TMB
________
Love Advice Dicussion

Last edited by brdhnt on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

Look into a MEC 600---As far as component choice that is a personal thing.I prefer Unique,Winchester primers and the SP-16 with fillers I can download to 3/4 oz and still have a load that cycles trough my A-5
Ben Yarian
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:09 pm  Reply with quote

becarfull. reloading can be addictive. great way to spend spare time. soon you may be wanting to load more and faster. also you may get bitten buy the load experimental bug( ie.. what loads match my gun best and make it perform better, or how can i expand the usfullness of a certain gun by different loads.) its a great world to get into.
with the load all II, you can get a taste of it and decide if its somthing you would like to get deeper into.
there is a certain satisfaction of making your own taylord loads and taking game with them, that you don't get from just buying loads and shooting them.
good luck on your endever. ben