16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Herters Shells....not so happy
John Singer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:07 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron, that is good to hear you mention Federal hulls. I have a good stash of Federal empties. I will be loading them for both clays and hunting in the future.

I just get way too many failures to extract with Cheddite hulls in my Savage 720.

Cass
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:42 am  Reply with quote

dannypratt wrote:

Fellas,
I will check tonite where the shells were made. Kept one flattened box as a coaster on my desk...I'll update as to where they were made.

Let us know on this. I'm betting that these are the "new" Herters shells in the green box. They seem to have some problems.

Cass
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:01 am  Reply with quote

I agree with Cold Iron, the initial quality on these loads was quite good, but near the end of the run the quality really slipped. Maybe it's a blessing that they're gone. My mountain of hulls will get reloaded for my doubles, and my remaining flats will get shot up at the range one way or another.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:51 pm  Reply with quote

I've never had a problem with the Herter's shells in my guns. The 16s all break-action with extractors, not ejectors.
The "old" Herter's from Cabelas were in Cheddite hulls, so there should be no problem. Cheddite makes literally billions of shotshell hulls annually and their design works.

John Singer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

Dave in Maine wrote:
I've never had a problem with the Herter's shells in my guns. The 16s all break-action with extractors, not ejectors.
The "old" Herter's from Cabelas were in Cheddite hulls, so there should be no problem. Cheddite makes literally billions of shotshell hulls annually and their design works.

Their design works fine in break action guns. Their design fails to extract in many semiautomatic and pump action shotguns. Particularly in 16 gauge.

I have also experienced difficulty with12 gauge shells where the twice fired Cheddites (factory target load followed by a hunting load) fails to even fit in the magazine tube of a pump or semiauto.

CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

I’m hunting this past week in SW Colorado. Was using Herters but getting some hang ups in my 1950 Sweet 16. Just switched over to RST.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:35 am  Reply with quote

I never had any luck with the old style herters in any of my semi autos . I have not purchased any of the new style , probably wont .
dannypratt
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Fellas,

Sorry for the late reply.

The Herters shells I was having trouble with were:

Herters Select Field
Dove & Quail
1oz, #6
1165 FPS

Supplied by CHEDDITE
MADE IN ITALY
(Charcoal grey/black box, purple shell on the right)

This is what it said on the box and closing flap, and I remember now I purchased them earlier this year (april?)....these were the only 2 boxes of 16ga in the entire store...

I will say this, the packaging presentation was extra cool, and I expected the birds to just surrender on respect of purchase alone...

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:20 pm  Reply with quote

John Singer wrote:
Dave in Maine wrote:

Their design works fine in break action guns. Their design fails to extract in many semiautomatic and pump action shotguns. Particularly in 16 gauge.

I have also experienced difficulty with12 gauge shells where the twice fired Cheddites (factory target load followed by a hunting load) fails to even fit in the magazine tube of a pump or semiauto.

I'm glad you posted about the magazine tube issue. I've experienced the same thing in 12 ga. In 16 gauge all I reload are Federal and Remington. Never a problem.