16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Addition of a new Ryman Setter pup from Wyssfiresidesetters!
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

In the past 2 years we have lost 4 of our beautiful Grouse dogs to old age. This to put it mildly it has had a very big negative effect on my family, and my small Grouse dog training business.

Because of what we do here in my Grouse dog training business I am very very picky as to which Ryman Setter pups I purchase. The Ryman pup must come form a proven female Grouse dog with a proven medical background.

Due to my open heart surgery I had time to research just where I wanted to purchase a new Ryman pup from. I have been waiting for a certain female Ryman Grouse dog to be breed for a few years, it finally happened and I was fortunate to acquire a female pup from Wyssfiresidesetters in WI. I had Mike pick a female Ryman Setter pup from Sophie's litter that he believed would make the best Grouse dog for our Pine Creek home kennel.

The pups at this time are not old enough to determine whether we will have a Blue, Orange or Tri-Colored Ryman Grouse Dog, to me it really does not matter, they are all incredibly beautiful gun dogs.

If you happen be looking for a serious Ryman Setter pup at this time, I would contact Mike at Wyssfiresidesetters in WI, and see if he has a pup from Sophie's letter still available.

Very happy to have acquired a Ryman Setter pup from Wyssfiresidesetters for our Grouse dog home kennel.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

There is nothing like the magic of a Ryman Setter Grouse Dog!

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
hayseed
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

Congratulations on the new addition.
Chicago
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:04 pm  Reply with quote

Happy you found your pup.

Good Hunting and get well,
Mike
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:20 pm  Reply with quote

Good on you Dave , I look forward to hearing about your new pup growing up and its adventures with you in the Grouse woods . All the best WJ.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:36 am  Reply with quote

That's wonderful. I hope to be bringing a new one along next year myself. My current setter is ten and is not up for chukar duty anymore. It's a young dog's game.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

Uncle Dan Fan,

Don't make the same mistake I did and wait too long to contract for new pup, I should have done it a couple seasons before I did. Having the older dogs around if they are well trained, for the pups to learn form, and emulate is a big plus. Now I will have to start form scratch with no champion Grouse dog for the pups to emulate. A very foolish mistake on my part.

Walking a Grouse to set point like I want, is a learned experience that will now take a lot longer with no great Grouse dog to emulate. As George Ryman said however, take my dogs to the Grouse woods and they will teach a man how to Grouse hunt.

I recommend that if you are looking for a serious Ryman Setter type dog that you contact Mike at Wyssfiresidesetters in WI, and see it any of Sophie's letter are still available for purchase, I probably should have taken 2 of them myself.

Pine Creek/Dave

There is nothing like the magic of a Ryman Setter Grouse Dog!

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/58346_600x400/] [/URL]

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

WJ,

Thank you sir and I hope all is well in your neck of the wood!

Pine Creek/Dave

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new buddy, there is nothing like a pup to stoke your interest in hunting. I'm working with my 8 month old GSP pup and it is just amazing when they get it right. The only issue I've found with pups is goodness they crap a lot and the current one thinks he's an artist and decorates his kennel with it. I remember my older dogs going through this, but I just didn't remember how much they did it.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:20 am  Reply with quote

Riflemiester,

Chances are if your pup is decorating it's cage you are leaving the pup in the cage way to long, try letting the pup out more. I know this can be hard sometimes when people are working but for the health of the pup, and your sanity try making the effort.

When a pup starts playing in its waste it can cause real problems health wise.

Pine Creek/Dave

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:17 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, PCD, but he's not in a crate or cage, but this kennel with an indoor and outdoor area. He's very good about only doing #1 and #2 in the outdoor portion, but then he walks though the poop and spreads it. He is a very high energy pup, but gets run 4 times a day for about 30 minutes at a time along with my two older dogs. I've never seen him playing in it, just getting excited and tromping through it and spreading it. It's like he never even thinks of avoiding stepping in it.

The scene of the crime.

The culprit.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:34 am  Reply with quote

RM,

Nice set up you have there. I went thru the same thing for a very short time when my outdoor holding kennel was that size, I expanded the kennel size and the problem completely cleared up. At the time I had 6 dogs, each in his own kennel set up. I increased the space with my almost 40 yard training kennel, things started to work out better for the super active German Shorthair, Weimar and the Setters also. We will see what happens when we get 4 dogs back in the kennel.

Pine Creek/Dave

Depending on how active the dogs are the kennel space does matter more than I 1st believed.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:54 am  Reply with quote

I can't have a setup like yours or that pup would climb out in a second. Sometimes when I go out there now, I'm looking eyeball to eyeball with the pup hanging onto the kennel wire. Without the metal roofing over the top, he'd be out of there.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

RM,

I fully understand that problem, we have extra kennel fencing for the last part of the kennel down by the big dog house that is used every once in a great while, for a roof. Luckily we have few climbers these days.

Our last climber was a serious Weimar Versatile dog out of Harold Bowmans gun dog line, who just did not like to be kenneled. Gretchen was a big Weimar dog, that protected our kennel for many years. In reality she never needed to stay in the kennel, she finally adapted and learned so we removed the roof fencing.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

We do miss her here very badly, passed away last year at age 10.
Gretchen is 8 months old in the kennel picture.

tramroad28
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
Congratulations on your new buddy, there is nothing like a pup to stoke your interest in hunting. I'm working with my 8 month old GSP pup and it is just amazing when they get it right. The only issue I've found with pups is goodness they crap a lot and the current one thinks he's an artist and decorates his kennel with it. I remember my older dogs going through this, but I just didn't remember how much they did it.

They all differ but I have found that a change of food yielding a different manner and amount of stool, accompanied by increased policing, goes a long way to reducing the effects of an errant or unconcerned step.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:29 am  Reply with quote

tramroad28 wrote:
Riflemeister wrote:

They all differ but I have found that a change of food yielding a different manner and amount of stool, accompanied by increased policing, goes a long way to reducing the effects of an errant or unconcerned step.

I'm feeding Pro-Plan Sport which works well with my other dogs and it yields minimal stool in the older dogs. I may be slightly overfeeding, but have switched from the multiple pup feedings to once a day all he'll eat in 15 minutes. If you look at his picture, he's not overweight in the least, in fact he doesn't appear to have any fat at all, just bone and muscle. The last few days I think I'm noticing less tramping through his poop, possibly because the first thing I do in the morning is scoop his poop out of the kennel. During the day, between exercise periods, I believe he's pooping less, quite often there is only the morning poop to deal with. I hope this trend is real and continues, I'm certainly ready for it to be real.