16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  question on rgl reloading
case 1775
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:09 am  Reply with quote

I just bought a whole case of rgl shells, and would like to reload them, once they are fired. The only reloads I have done so far have been with 19 gr of green dot and rem 1 1/8 wads. These wads are just a tad too long for rgl hulls. Anyone else load rgl? What wads do you use? I need a good recipe for these hulls.

double vision
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:14 am  Reply with quote

What kind of load are you looking for? 7/8, 1, 1 1/8 oz? I like the Claybuster 0078-16 in the RGL.
case 1775
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:26 am  Reply with quote

I would prefer 1 1/8, since I already load those. but 1 oz would be fine too. I would be loading them for trap.

case 1775
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:31 am  Reply with quote

I see some claybuster 1 1/8 on gb. Are the claybuster wads all the same length?

double vision
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:35 am  Reply with quote

Can't help you on the 1 1/8 oz, but I like the following 1 oz. taken from the 16ga spreadsheet. I've loaded these and checked the velocity on my chronograph.

Hull: Rem. Game Load
Shot: 1 oz. lead
Primer: W209
Powder: Unique 19.0 gr.
Wad: Rem. SP-16
Velocity: 1225 fps

Last edited by double vision on Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:37 am  Reply with quote

case 1775 wrote:
I see some claybuster 1 1/8 on gb. Are the claybuster wads all the same length?

Nope. The 0078-16 is designed for 7/8 oz. loads, and the other one is built for 1 oz. (or greater).
case 1775
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:00 am  Reply with quote

Thanks

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:49 am  Reply with quote

I just went out to the reloading shop
Texan M-IV
25 Consecutive loads, not sorted

7/8 ounce of shot, WST powder, Rem SP Wad, ONE Cocoa Puff.

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:49 am; edited 2 times in total
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

For 1 1/8 oz I use Federal hulls---try thr Hodgdon website
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:20 am  Reply with quote

case 1775 wrote:
only reloads I have done so far have been with 19 gr of green dot and rem 1 1/8 wads. These wads are just a tad too long for rgl hulls. .

I reload RGL's as my long range target loads and some hunting. Curious to some of your inquiry... 19g of GD sounds pretty stout for a 1 1/8 load in an RGL, where did you get that recipe? I ask because it's difficult to find good (allowable presaure) GD & RGL recipes much over 7/8oz, 1 1/8 sounds as if you're more on the Longshot, Herco, Bluedot, Proreach, Steel, etc. side of the map.

"wads too long"...as far as I know the Rem SP16 is advertised as a 1 1/8oz wad and is made for the RGL hull. If you're using that wad and having fit issues try a little more wad seat pressure or use the misfit stack up as a harbinger (GD taking up too much space) to possibly being not the best powder. Have you considered going to a less bulky powder or a powder better suited for heavy loads? I've gone to Longshot (ran out of Herco) in my 1oz RGL loads w/the SP16 and they fit and work fine. I will be going back to Herco when out of this LS.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:02 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Can't help you on the 1 1/8 oz, but I like the following 1 oz. taken from the 16ga spreadsheet. I've loaded these and checked the velocity on my chronograph.

Hull: Rem. Game Load
Shot: 1 oz. lead
Primer: W209
Powder: Unique 19.0 gr.
Wad: Rem. SP-16
Velocity: 1225 fps

Very good load , I have shot it quite a bit .

Also Longshot and 800x are good choices for 1 1/8oz in the Rem hull

7625 is great if you can find any.
case 1775
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
case 1775 wrote:
only reloads I have done so far have been with 19 gr of green dot and rem 1 1/8 wads. These wads are just a tad too long for rgl hulls. .

I reload RGL's as my long range target loads and some hunting. Curious to some of your inquiry... 19g of GD sounds pretty stout for a 1 1/8 load in an RGL, where did you get that recipe? I ask because it's difficult to find good (allowable presaure) GD & RGL recipes much over 7/8oz, 1 1/8 sounds as if you're more on the Longshot, Herco, Bluedot, Proreach, Steel, etc. side of the map.

"wads too long"...as far as I know the Rem SP16 is advertised as a 1 1/8oz wad and is made for the RGL hull. If you're using that wad and having fit issues try a little more wad seat pressure or use the misfit stack up as a harbinger (GD taking up too much space) to possibly being not the best powder. Have you considered going to a less bulky powder or a powder better suited for heavy loads? I've gone to Longshot (ran out of Herco) in my 1oz RGL loads w/the SP16 and they fit and work fine. I will be going back to Herco when out of this LS.
I got the green dot recipe from skeettx on an earlier thread. you may well be right about using a different powder, but the sp 16 and gd work great In the normal hi brass rem hull.

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:36 pm  Reply with quote

Federal hull

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipePrint.aspx?shotype=&weight=1.125&weightdis=1+1%2f8&shellid=526&gtypeid=3&gauge=16&lid=1880

putz463
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:22 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying, I missed the thread where skeettx shared it. I'll catalog that one as I like GD very much and have never seen a "heavy" GD load with any IMO decent speed and good pressure. Actually kinda surprised it's the only 16ga GD recipe they offer.

I'll stick to my guns though blaming the misfit to a large volume of bulky powder. My guess is your "wad too long" issue will benefit from a fair amount wad seating pressure to break the legs of the crush section a bit.

Good stuff, sumtin new everyday....

case 1775
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

Right on putz. I do try to crush the wad when I seat it. Doesn't seem to work tho.