16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Trap vs field
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:27 am  Reply with quote

I'm not certain we've been had, that's the basis of a forum, the shared learning. IMO, this thread top to bottom pretty much says it all regarding the difference of approach to target and field shooting practice and using one to bolster the other. Hoping Brewster1 and anyone else who reads it gleens some tidbit that helps them improve one way or the other.

I didn't know that what I was promoting might be referred to as "Crazy", thank you skeettx, learn something new everyday, got my one this early, woo hoo, I'm good to go.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:06 am  Reply with quote

The January/February issue of Shooting Sportsman has a very good article on page 42 titled "Solving Mystery Misses" that summarizes a lot of the issues with field hunting. A good read that basically boils down to concentration on the bird.

Yesterday I took my 9 month old GSP pup and 10 year old TPLO recovering GSP out to a local preserve to hunt quail. The pup has suddenly decided he would like to help with flushing the birds instead of standing staunch. All my attention was on the pup and my shooting was abysmal, 3 out of 5 with two of the bagged birds on the second barrel. Put the 10 year old on the ground and went 5 quail for 5 shots plus a bonus hen pheasant. Says a lot about concentration.

Newtonian_Guy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

Location: The Great Rustbelt, otherwise known as Northeastern Ohio

skeettx wrote:
I do not enjoy the flurry games,

I usually do quite well in them but I feel that the gun gets too hot.

I feel that a great game for warming up to hunting is CRAZY Skeet.
Low gun, and zero to 3 second delay , and a variation is NOT to say "pull"
The birds come out after the shooter is loaded and ready, 0-3 second delay.

Mike

That sounds like fun! I might have to try that if my club will allow it.

Other problem is I do not own a skeet gun! All chokes are Mod. or Full.

Usually break 16 or so with an Antonio Zoli 12 Mod/Full 28 in. barrels. Morgan adjustable recoil pad on the back to bring my eye down to flat, no rib.

Hoping to get a Browning Citori Gran Lightning in 16 ga. so that might be the best bet for skeet.

Best round of trap for 16 ga. was a Zavasta SxS and shot 20! First SxS for me and I am 63. Clay birds always tighten-up my shooting before the season.

I used to go to my old trap range before ducks and shoot full-bore high-brass loads to get my timing right. Back in the days of lead shot.

Zavasta M75 16 Bore
Ithaca NID 16 Bore
Fox Sterlingworth 16 Bore
Franchi Falconet O/U 12 Bore
2 Antonio Zoli Field Grade 12 Bore
Ithaca Model 100 12 Bore
Newtonian_Guy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:

Mike

Usually break 16 or so with an Antonio Zoli 12 Mod/Full 28 in. barrels. Morgan adjustable recoil pad on the back to bring my eye down to flat, no rib.

Hoping to get a Browning Citori Gran Lightning in 16 ga. so that might be the best bet for skeet.

Best round of trap for 16 ga. was a Zavasta SxS and shot 20! First SxS for me and I am 63. Clay birds always tighten-up my shooting before the season.

I used to go to my old trap range before ducks and shoot full-bore high-brass loads to get my timing right. Back in the days of lead shot.

Zavasta M75 16 Bore
Ithaca NID 16 Bore
Ithaca Model 100 12 Bore
Newtonian_Guy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:

Mike

Zavasta M75 16 Bore
Ithaca NID 16 Bore
Ithaca Model 100 12 Bore
Newtonian_Guy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
to the opp ... reg.trap may help some ,but not a lot for birds . The best formula for birds is seeing the flush and letting your brain see the shot and hit the trigger when the stock hits your shoulder ... skeet is great for doves and ducks , trap for prairie birds ... think about Nick's approach to loads . The guys here are shooting max loads for 16yds - and they don't understand their flinches . There is no reason to do this for 16yd - the little loads will hold up ! 30% more velocity , 50% less recoil for 10% less lead ... Mark is right about live birds if avail - starlings and city pigeons rule . Not often avail ... If clays is what's avail , try walk up trap with a puller - he calls pull when he hits the button , not you - shoot with your feet in the wrong position . OR , stand back skeet from between the pads , OR , SKRAP - trap from stations 1, 2 6,7,8 of the skeet field - our traps are embedded in the skeet fields . Skeet will structure you , and trap will REALLY structure you !

Have shot max loads in 12ga. in trap and am now shooting 1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2 for trap in 16ga. 12s are 7+ lbs. O/Us and 16 is a czechoslovakian SxS. IM and Full.

16 has much less recoil than the 12. And I usually shoot 5 rounds of trap with each at one sitting.

Recoil is overrated. Laughing

Zavasta M75 16 Bore
Ithaca NID 16 Bore
Ithaca Model 100 12 Bore
Newtonian_Guy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

Have shot max loads in 12ga. in trap and am now shooting 1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2 for trap in 16ga. 12s are 7+ lbs. O/Us and 16 is a czechoslovakian SxS. IM and Full.

16 has much less recoil than the 12. And I usually shoot 5 rounds of trap with each at one sitting.

Recoil is overrated. Laughing

Zavasta M75 16 Bore
Ithaca NID 16 Bore
Ithaca Model 100 12 Bore
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

Looks like there are places to shoot around 44314

https://www.claytargetsonline.com/ohio/

Last edited by skeettx on Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Singer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

Merry Christmas

I share with you some wisdom from Phil Bourjaily (Shotgun Editor, Field and Stream) on the topic of this thread.

First, The science behind hot and cold streaks in the pheasant field:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/science-behind-hot-streaks-and-slumps-in-pheasant-field/

Second, the joy of missing:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/shotgun-shooting-joy-missing/

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:28 am  Reply with quote

John Singer wrote:
Merry Christmas

I share with you some wisdom from Phil Bourjaily (Shotgun Editor, Field and Stream) on the topic of this thread.

First, The science behind hot and cold streaks in the pheasant field:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/science-behind-hot-streaks-and-slumps-in-pheasant-field/

Second, the joy of missing:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/shotgun-shooting-joy-missing/

My computer can never completely load links from F&S. Does anyone else have the same problem with Field & Stream?
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:49 am  Reply with quote

They worked when I used Chrome.

Thanks, John.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks to all who responded to responded to my original post, and to close this thread out, I will relate my latest exploits on the range.

I started by shooting a round of trap with traditional trap hold and safety off with gun tuned for trap (tight mod choke). I missed the first two and got all the rest.

Then I went to low gun and safety on (with same gun). Results: Missed about 6 or 8 targets randomly.

In the latter case, everything was different: stance, aim point, sight picture, timing, general feel, etc. An IC choke would very likely have improved my score.

Bottom line: Trap shooting and field shooting are two different things. Use trap gun and trap techniques for trap shooting, and use field gun with field techniques for field shooting. And I need to seriously practice my field shooting. I really don't think it's any more complicated than that.

V/R
B.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

To the point of the OP, I think trap can be insidious. A couple of years ago I moved to a home that had a trap club close by. So, I began shooting a lot of low gun trap with my field guns, including hammer guns. I did ok, averaging around 20, but I got tired of having guys come over and talk to me like I was an idiot that didn't know anything about trap. They couldn't understand why I would want to shoot low gun. So I then began shooting pre-mounted, and my scores went down, because I started thinking too much. I then tried shooting by myself on vacant ranges so I could shoot walk up trap, but then I got yelled at for breaking the rules. Sigh. Suffice to say, I don't much care for trap. I only shoot it if nothing else is available.

I just moved again, and there's a skeet range 40 minutes away. There's also a trap club ten minutes away. I'll stick with skeet. It's more natural and instinctive, and I just plain enjoy it more. And I don't get yelled at, and I don't need a specialized skeet gun to shoot it well. Rolling Eyes Wink

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
tramroad28
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:52 pm  Reply with quote

Some might feel that they are yelled at if they fail to shoot a 16 gauge....probably has something to do with our ears.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:25 am  Reply with quote

Cruising thru the junk pile in the Gun room , and ran across this - March 2008 shotgun Sports - has an extensive article '' Other Games Trapshooters play '' . Just one more thing to mess with to try to be good at both things !