16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Eley Shotshells for 16's, Im new to this forum
Eleyman
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

My name is August Crocker and I work for the sole Eley Shotshell distributor in the US (Eurosport) 16ga loads have been by far our most poplular load and so I wanted to introduce myself here and welcome any questions. I do not want to violate the etiquette of this site and have looked in FAQ's, the sites rules etc for shamless product representation and have not found any so here I am. I have been an avid hunter, reloader, sporting clays competitor and lover of all things that go BANG my whole life. I welcome any questions and hope I can participate on this forum. I have been absolutely overwhelmed by the number of 16 bore owners and welcome hearing from you, Thank you
Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:15 pm  Reply with quote

August,

thanks for posting here. We 16 gaugers are a picky bunch that requre our guns and ammunition to be the best. Could you please inform us of the following in regards to your 16 gauge offerings.

1. Antinmony of your various shot sizes
2. are your shot sizes listed on your site English or American
3. I assume your shotshells are CIP but what are your pressures in each shell offered
4. What is the FPS of your 16 gauge offerings?
5. How is your FPS caluculated? @ the muzzle or @ 1 meter?
6. Do you offer anything in a shot cup instead of just a fiber wad?
7. Do you offer a low recoil 7/8 ounce load (If not there is a market for one)

Thanks in advance for your answers
Brian
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:38 am  Reply with quote

Yes, and can you get us an audience with the Queen? Wink I don't know about the rest of the folks, but considering the derth of 16 gauge ammo in the past, I've been known to shoot anything I could reasonably cram into the breech without a mallet (and sometimes with). However, things have improved greatly in the last few years. We do need light target loads to get the ball really rolling. More folks would shoot the gauge more often if they could get reasonably priced ammo that didn't rattle their teeth so much. Anyway, welcome aboard this odd little ship.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:42 am  Reply with quote

Amen to the need for light target loads---I've put together a light one with Green Dot, the SP-16 wad and some puffed wheat as a filler, but would sure love to get access to a reasonably-priced 7/8 oz. "factory" target load.

My Merkel 1620 is fun to shoot, but the present few factory loads do beat me when I shoot clay birds.

Eleyman
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:28 am  Reply with quote

Thank you Brian and others for your response. I'll do my best to cover what has been asked and any of you are always welcome to e-mail me direct or call with any questions as well. Its just me here and I do my best to service each customer, shipping directly to your door, gun club or hunt destination.
I currently stock the VIP line of 16ga in a 65mm/1oz load making it suitable for 2 1/2" or 2 3/4" chamber. Shot sizes listed on this particular load are in UK so
UK5=US6
UK6=US7
UK7=US71/2
8=8
9=9

Eley's published velocity is 1425...the way we meassure is more like 1250-1275fps. This deduction has proved reliable in the loads I have chrono'd
Ant% on this load is 3%. Eley is one of the very few that make their own shot and it is of very high quality and consistency. I have had excellent feedback from customers on patterning and bird kills. It was the first load I sold out of and continues to be our most popular load.
I know of no other maker that is CIP approved accross the board which allow a max of 850bar...I'm told by the head of Eley these average 720bar.
The KLEENA wad is unique to Eley and is lighter and more dense that other fibers and actually does a good job of cleaning the bore. I dont currently stock THIS load in a plastic wad. Not that I wont, it just has not been requested. All of our 72 current loads are based on what folks ask for and of course buy.

I have had numerous requests to bring in a 16ga 2 1/2" 7/8oz load and have them on our next order in the GRAND PRIX line. If you will send me an e-mail at sales@eleyshotshells.com i will put you on a list to notify upon arrival...probably a month or two away. Velocity on that one will be in the 1200fps
One other word about Eley-we do not alter loads for US market. You will find this is not the case with a number of overseas makers that you might use on a trip and order back here only to find different. I stock here in the US and process most orders same day to arrive at your doorstep via UPS. Thank You 16ers

Last edited by Eleyman on Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Desjarlais
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

Eleyman,

As you've heard already there is great interest in a reasonably priced 7/8 oz load. The Eley shells have interested me, but not for shooting at clays at the current prices on your 16 gauge loads. In the field fine, but we really need a better priced clays load.

A question about your hulls. Many of us, if not most, reload. Does Eley make their own hulls? Can you say anything about the style (Reifenhauser ?) and reloadability of your hulls?

Thanks,
-Mike
Eleyman
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

Mike THANKS for the heads-up on my typo-its fixed now. I do understand the high cost of shells. Before being sponsored I loaded all of my shells and have since I was a teen. I still burn enough ammo that I reload much of my practice loads but with the cost of shot that will end when I run out next. (I cant get any good shot anymore either) In the last year lead has near doubled, plastic, fuel, shipping, fuel basically every aspect (not to mention the Euro) has had a negetive effect on all foreign ammo. One can look at the makers that have pulled out of the US all together. The US companies have held off but are rising now as well.
I can tell you its the finest product line I have ever shot and that I believe its worth it but I'll try to get some of my customers to post their experience with Eley. THANKS AGAIN
Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

August,

I am interested in your shot shells. I must admit however that I normally only use shot shells with a plastic wad. To go back to felt wads in my opinion is kinda like getting rid of the starter motor on my truck and replace it with a hand crank. If Eley makes 16 bore loads with the gualandi wads I would order a few flats.

Best Brian
David Wisse
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:19 am  Reply with quote

August,
Have ordered some 12 and 20 ga. paper loads from you , and really enjoyed shooting them. Naturally I would love to see 16's in paper - does Eley make these?
Thanks for your excellent customer service in the past.
David
Eleyman
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:06 am  Reply with quote

THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS DAVID
The 12 & 20 Papers really are top-notch with the coatings and all and believe me I have pushed for same in 16. At this time the paper hull maker does not offer them and with the current volume would be cost prohibitive to do. As we go along this could certainly change.
o2shoot
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:44 am  Reply with quote

I am new to this forum. I saw this thread and wanted to post my experience with the Eley shells.

I am an avid bird hunter, NSTRA Field Trialer, and Sporting Clays shooter and fell in love with a 1620EL Merkel several years ago that has changed my life. After finding an off-the-shelf game gun that fit me in this 16ga SxS, I felt the pain (literally in some cases) of finding factory ammunition.

I have been through about every available factory load and have converted over to only Eley VIP's. I have a few boxes of other brands sitting around that I am hessitent to even use now. Given this gun's light weight, I have found the Eley's to be much more pleasant with lower recoil and superb patterns. I have even been known to shoot 100 round Sporting Clays matches with this gun/ammo combination. I am glad to hear that Eley is bringing us the 7/8oz loads, but have been VERY happy with the 1oz.

I also shoot 12ga Eley Superbs and Blues in a Perazzi for Sporting Clays and FITASC and have found them to be much more pleasant from a recoil perspecitve with excellent patterning.

Additionally, I was so pleased with all of the Eley offerings that I have abandoned reloading and sold off my all my hydraulic and mechanical reloaders, components, etc... Now I have time to shoot rather than reload! Very Happy
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

02shoot: Where can we buy these Eleys? They sound like a good shell and I need light recoiling ammo that I don't have to reload for; I too would rather shoot than reload....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

Wolfchief,

Check out this link: http://eleyshotshells.com/
Leighton
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:33 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Eleyman"]My name is August Crocker and I work for the sole Eley Shotshell distributor in the US (Eurosport) 16ga loads have been by far our most poplular load and so I wanted to introduce myself here and welcome any questions. I do not want to violate the etiquette of this site and have looked in FAQ's, the sites rules etc for shamless product representation and have not found any so here I am. I have been an avid hunter, reloader, sporting clays competitor and lover of all things that go BANG my whole life. I welcome any questions and hope I can participate on this forum. I have been absolutely overwhelmed by the number of 16 bore owners and welcome hearing from you, Thank you[/quote]

I have bought Eleys from Eleyman and they are the finist that I have used.
The Blues and Superbs are unbeatable in quality. I am looking forward to
some 16's in the 7/8 loadings soon.

sbs470
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:49 am  Reply with quote

Eleyman
I have several thousand 12G grandprix and impax .I would love to get some 16s ,how about shipping some to AUSTRALIA.I'll take all you send

regards
sbs470