16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  First gun for Christmas
goathoof
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:02 am  Reply with quote

My dad was wary of giving me a gun because of losing a friend in a hunting accident before I was born. But he knew I really wanted to get into shooting. So finally when I was 10 years old, I received for Christmas a Daisy model 1894 BB gun! That day we went up to Grandma's farm where I spent most of the day out shooting cans and bottles. What a blast! Once my Dad saw my competence, I was gifted at age 12 a Sheridan 5mm pellet gun for Christmas. Then came for Christmas at age 14 a marlin .22; and finally at 16, I received for Christmas a 16 ga model 870. I still have all those guns. Do you remember your Christmas guns?
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:24 am  Reply with quote

goat hoof,

Merry Christmas buddy, I was to young to remember when both a shotgun and hand gun were given to me. Our family is long on Grouse hunting tradition and part of that is being given a good shotgun when us boys are born.

I do remember on my 10th Christmas I was given my own Savage O/U 20 gauge Under/22Mag over. I had already been trained with my Grandmothers 28 gauge Parker DH gun in the Grouse woods. However it was not till later about when I was 14 that my Grandfather gave me my own 20 Gauge L.C. Smith double gun. I still have that gun and the Savage Turkey/Fox gun in our gun cabinet today.

Unfortunately the 28 gauge Parker was destroyed in a house fire long ago. The L.C. Smith 12 gauge given to me at birth I started using at 16 years of age, on Pheasants and Ducks, it is one of my prize possessions. Originally special ordered for my Grandfather by his father, the old Pigeon Grade L.C. Smith is in absolutely perfect shape. One beautiful gun.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

My L.C. Smith 12 Gauge Pigeon Grade Double Gun

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:37 am  Reply with quote

First was BB guns

First "REAL" gun was a Savage 24 in 22/410 Smile

I still have it

Mike

ROMAC
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:10 am  Reply with quote

My dad bought me an Ithaca model 37 Featherlight in 12 gauge for Christmas when I was 15. Before then, I used an old Iver Johnson single shot that was loaned to me by a friend when we went hunting.

I still have the Ithaca 12 along with a 16 and a 20. While I'm now hunting almost exclusively with SXS's and O/U's, the Ithaca holds a special place in my heart since it was a gift from my parents.
upstateduckman
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:19 am  Reply with quote

I don't remember ever getting a gun for Christmas. My first gun that I owned I purchased in 1992 at KMart, a Remington 11-87 in 12 gauge. I had been shooting my Dad's Light 12, Grandpa's Model 12 16 gauge, or my other Grandpa's Sweet 16 for a few years by then. My first 16 was about 12 years ago when I bought an Ithaca Model 37. Now I have quite a few of them.
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:56 am  Reply with quote

My first and only Christmas gun was a Johnny Eagle Magumba. It was way way cool with spring-loaded (plastic) brass. I made one of my all-time greatest shots with it shooting the little balancing man at the top of the "Tip-it" game while my three older sisters were playing at the dining room table. (I set up in the kitchen, and after the shot Mom shut me down.).

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/plTeRe1lj] [/URL]

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/plF1oHrBj] [/URL]
bobski
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:21 am  Reply with quote

I was 3. I still have it...obviously.
Smile
[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/58676_600x400/] [/URL]

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
bobski
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:24 am  Reply with quote

hey, that magumba pistol was modeled after browning challenger 22!

rifle looks like an early sako.

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
sneem
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

My father would never allow me to have a BB gun. He said he had one as a kid and I wasn't going to do the things he did.
Shotguns were another matter. When I turned 15, the first year I could legally carry my own gun when hunting, a 12 gauge was not an issue.

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

After a trip to Stuttgart and a weekend in the pin oaks at 12, I found a Stevens 20 ga single shot under the tree.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

Somewhere around here have a picture of me holding it with the Christmas tree in the background. Crosman M1 Carbine BB gun back in the 60's.

Springfield Armory recently released an updated version of it.

I have considered it. Mine is in the reloading room with wire holding it together, my youngest son used it for awhile before I purchased a pellet target gun for him.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:55 pm  Reply with quote

Italian “Companion” hammerless 12 gauge 3” (!) with vented rib:

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/58680_600x400/] [/URL]

Got it for Christmas when I was 14, but, truth told, it was a step down from my Dad’s Silver Snipe Beretta 12 gauge. That was the first gun I ever hunted with. Both guns live here to this day. Still, my Mom drove all over town looking for it, after my Dad told her what he thought I should have. I bought my own repeater a season or two later, a Remington model 17 pump. The Companion never really got a lot of use. I use it when I am on snowshoes.

Best,
Ted

putz463
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:00 am  Reply with quote

Marksman 4700 break barrel 0.177 pellet rifle. Still works great after countless pellets and a bunch of years. Thanks Dad!

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:46 am  Reply with quote

That funny Dave. I can still remember the jingle "With Johnny Eagle you can't miss you've never seen a gun like this" I got my grandfathers Remington 241 Speedmaster at 10 years old although he kept it at camp till I was like 14. Still have it.
JCF
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:46 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:
Somewhere around here have a picture of me holding it with the Christmas tree in the background. Crosman M1 Carbine BB gun back in the 60's.

Been hanging around here for a long time absorbing wisdom and load recipes but this is my first post. - can not resist.
I received one of those at Christmas loooong ago. Boy I loved that one.
Many years later on returning from living overseas I went looking for it and discovered my sister sold it at a yard sale while I was gone - I still miss it