16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Briley thin wall chokes in 1967 Sweet 16.
T-Bird
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

I bought the above gun from my now deceased brother in law. His dad had bought it for him when we were teenagers and he never really hunted like most of us did. So he rarely shot it. Anyway, I have it now. I have shot probably 3 boxes of shells in it probably more than he did if the truth were known. It is choked mod but it must be really tight mod. I can shred a can at 40 yds with it, not just put some holes in it. I have been looking around for possibly a new Japanese barrel with invector chokes to make it more user friendly for me but Sweet 16 barrels seem to be as scarce as chicken lips. Briley can put thin walls in it. I hear their work is very good but I float between "this is a great idea" and "that's blasphemy". This gun has some scratches in the stock from a time when his father loaned the gun to a friend and he dropped it in a duck boat. This guy was later the Gov of Ala. They are not bad and have been cover stained and are not really noticeable. The bluing is almost but not quite, perfect. I think it is a little too "used" to be a prime collector but it's real nice. I would really like to shoot doves with it, maybe phez, quail etc. I'm not gonna sell this gun ever. What do y'all think?
hayseed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

At first I was thinking NO WAY. But, if it is NEVER going to be sold and will be used, maybe even used more, with the choke tubes, I’d say do it.
T-Bird
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

well, I'm almost 66, I'm never gonna sell it. I guess I really shouldn't care about what anyone else does after I'm gone Smile
hayseed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

T-bird, here’s to hoping you shoot the heck out of it for the next 30 years.
T-Bird
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

Thank's for that hayseed! Laughing
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

OK, Briley chokes,
YES, the gun is still the same gun only BETTER
Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

YES, I have Briley thin walls in a 16 gauge 1100 and it was the best thing I did, because I can and do use it for everything.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

As I’m in Houston about 30 min from brileys,
I have 3 guns that they put chokes in. The first was a little bit of a thought cause it’s an LC Smith that was my great grand dads and didn’t wanna change it from it original state, however, I had it done and couldn’t be more happy. I shoot birds and a lot of skeet with it. It’s a pleasure to shoot and I’m sure my grand dad is smiling down on me every time I shoot it. If it were to be a serious collector it would have to be mint, with all the papers and box, as it came from the factory. Then it might bring at top dollar of 2000 probably less. The choke will cost you around 325 for 16 gauge. If your not gonna sell, even if you did, it’s not gonna loose value because of a choke for anyone that will use it as it is meant to be used. That would be a bonus for most hunters or shooters in my opinion.
You could go an extra barrel route for 600-900 dollars. You would be able to sell it and get your money back for sure, so either way do it and don’t look back.
John Singer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

You state that you wish to use the gun for doves, pheasant, and quail.

You could have the choke reamed something like a light modified as an option.

You could have it reamed to the pattern that you want.

The tubes are definitely an option. However, how often would you ever change the tubes?

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

I change tubes all the time. Depending on what I’m doing. If brileys does the choke it will come with 3 chokes and a wrench.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:59 pm  Reply with quote

I have Briley thinwalls in 3 shotguns. Winchester 23 20 ga. that was choked Mod and Full. I use it for skeet and sporting clays the tubes make it more versatile. Ithaca 37 16 ga. RVD was Full and only thing it was useful for was trap. Now I can use it for skeet and Sporting, it is a clays gun. New A5 Sweet 16 had Briley cut the bbl. down to 23" for ruff grouse hunting. After cutting the bbl. had to install tubes. The .004 tube pretty much lives in it and I use it for skeet also.

But if all I was shooting was doves, phez and quail I would open up a single bbl. to Light Mod and call it a day. Have a number of guns with fixed IC and\or Mod which is fine by me for most shooting. I have 4 shoe boxes full of choke tubes and still can't find my Beretta Victory tubes, full set in .005 increments. I know they are around here some place. The older I get the less I like choke tubes and love the simplicity of fixed chokes. A light mod will handle pretty much any presentation with feathers. Or clays for that matter. A bit tight for ruff grouse or skeet but it still works if you had to do it.

One thing to be aware of with thinwalls is that they are just that, thin. You have to be careful of them. If you damage one by dropping it or dinging it and don't notice it you run the potential risk to damage your barrel.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:20 pm  Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that if you go with Briley and ask for LM, either for tubes or opening the bore, they will do .015 for the 16. I always specify the amount of constriction I want. .012 or .014 get a lot of use by me in the 16. And 20.
T-Bird
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:30 am  Reply with quote

thank's for the input guys. As far as asking for a custom constriction, I don't know that I would know what I want. I would probably ask for skeet, IC, mod if I get 3 chokes and try to cover all the bases. Just how fragile are these tubes cold iron?
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:47 am  Reply with quote

The tubes are thin, but normal handling will not damage them.

The only issue is dropping them on a hard floor, like concrete. The tapered part of the choke is easily damaged. Just like any other choke tube if you damage the tapered end and use the choke you risk having the wad catch the choke tube and damaging the barrel.

I have had my Thin Wall chokes for over 20 years and I haven't damaged one yet.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:39 am  Reply with quote

Basically what MSM said.

On another website there is someone that had Briley thinwalls destroy the end of his barrel and he blamed Briley. And sued them for poor workmanship, rather filed to he is a lawyer and it was a very expensive gun. Like most lawsuits they settled out of court and Briley replaced the barrel.

I find it hard to believe that Briley had poor workmanship and he purchased his gun used. So in reality he has no knowledge of the previous owners history of the chokes and handling.

I did some digging and there are people that have had the same thing happen you don't have to look very hard. But it isn't common especially considering how many thousands of thinwalls there are out there done by Briley. Common theme is dropping them and have the skirt side hit something hard like gravel or pavement. But a few that claim to not have dropped them however they carried them loose and likely banged into each other. I always have carried mine in the cases they came in. And use cases for all my tubes thinwalls or not.

If gas gets up under the skirt because it is dented it can shoot the tube out the end of the gun and strip the threads in the barrel. In that case the barrel has to be cut back. If it is bad enough and the wad catches then it will destroy the barrel in a typical obstruction banana peel at the end of it. Either way I handle them with care when ever they are out of the gun.

SK, IC and Mod for the 16 from Briley is a good combination IMO. If you go without specifying constriction it will be .005 .010 and .020. For 2 of my 16 ga. single bbl guns I specified .004 .008 and .014 but that fits my needs. Not necessarily yours.