16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Briley thin wall chokes in 1967 Sweet 16.
16'er
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tag-64-Browning-A5-16Ga-BELGIUM-21-BARREL-Lyman-Chamber-Choke/324015259200?hash=item4b70d07e40:g:vTcAAOSwnRhdiuxY

If your going to have choke tubes on a vintage gun, might as well go vintage chokes!
John Singer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tag-64-Browning-A5-16Ga-BELGIUM-21-BARREL-Lyman-Chamber-Choke/324015259200?hash=item4b70d07e40:g:vTcAAOSwnRhdiuxY

If your going to have choke tubes on a vintage gun, might as well go vintage chokes!

Two issues with that style choke.

1. Plastic wads tend to catch on the choke tubes. I did observe this first hand recently.

2. Some think they are as ugly as homemade sin.

I think they look pretty cool.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:12 pm  Reply with quote

John Singer wrote:
16'er wrote:

Two issues with that style choke.

1. Plastic wads tend to catch on the choke tubes. I did observe this first hand recently.

2. Some think they are as ugly as homemade sin.

I think they look pretty cool.

Interesting because as I was typing out my earlier reply I was thinking polychoke.

Been quite a few years but I used to shoot skeet in Winona with a guy that was on the US Army Skeet team and he used a Cutts on his gun. Guess that was appropriate with him being Army and him using Colonel Cutts design and all.. Shot lights out with that gun, seldom missed. That Dave Erickson fellow was usually there then too.

Don't tell anyone but when I first picked up a 12 ga. Benelli Ultralight I got a screw in polychoke for it. The extra weight on the end helps it swing better IMO.

Extremely practical but one of those things you hope no one sees you with. Kind of like going home with the last lady at a bar at closing time...

But around this neck of the woods back when there were decent numbers of grouse and pheasants came in handy. Would be hunting the draws for grouse and hear a rooster cackle in a field on top of a bluff and quick twist of the wrist you were set.

I have an Ithaca 37S with a factory installed polychoke on it. Swings like a dream, but did I mention that it has a polychoke on it? Picked up a Knickerbocker Mod bbl. for it but haven't had it fitted yet. Because the polychoke bbl. just works so well. Ugly or not.

If you get a break from harvesting all the birds and fish in Mn. Iowa and Wi. we should go shoot some clays again John Very Happy
T-Bird
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:49 am  Reply with quote

There's bee some great advice and information given in this thread thank's guys. I was thinking that like someone pointed out, I would probably only change my tubes occasionally if at all (like I do now on my tubed guns). I kill most of my birds with the right or bottom barrel of my double guns and that's the IC barrel. My 1940 Elsie is fixed IC/mod so it's the same. If I had chokes, I would likely use the IC choke 90+% of the time. I'm thinking that with the way I hunt ect, that a fixed .013 constriction (I've been doing some research) would fit my needs nicely.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:48 am  Reply with quote

I believe that there are situations for both fixed chokes and choke tubes.

The choice is best left to the individual, because only that person knows how the shotgun will be used.

If I was given a choice, it would be choke tubes because then I could use that shotgun for anything.....and I have shotguns that I do use for everything from skeet to turkey hunting.

For clay targets I have gone to tighter choke(s) over the years.

For upland I found, back in the 1980's that .015" works just fine, and haven't had anything change my mind when using a single barrel gun. If I shoot a double than it's something like .010" and .025".

I have 4 shotguns that are tubed and 5 that are fixed.....the choke tube guns get used a LOT more. The fixed choke guns are probably more interesting but......

Massaging loads, IMHO, is like putting lipstick on a pig. I would rather have the correct choke. Spreader loads have some value BUT, I haven't used any in years as in 20+ years.

After all is said and done about fixed chokes/ choke tubes and loads, NOTHING replaces shooting ability.

Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:58 am  Reply with quote

" If I had chokes, I would likely use the IC choke 90+% of the time"

Bingo Tbird. I realized long ago that Im not a great shot and I need the 'help' of more open chokes Laughing .

kgb
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:19 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:

Don't tell anyone but when I first picked up a 12 ga. Benelli Ultralight I got a screw in polychoke for it. The extra weight on the end helps it swing better IMO.

Interesting way to tailor the balance of a gun to better suit your shooting!!

Probably no two of my shotguns balance the same. M12 16ga feels solid ahead of the receiver, 20ga Ithaca 37 feels solid in the center of the receiver, others somewhere between the two and doubles likewise have a spread amongst themselves. Just means any miss is simply having the wrong gun for the situation. Wink

I recently started in on a Winchester M59, it has a choked barrel and I picked up a parts gun for its plain barrel and stock to be made into a straight grip and cut down forend. The basic gun is heavily rearward biased, not my best scoring at Skeet, but with the variety of parts combinations will be an excuse all its own for any misses at birds. At least the safety's right where it should be.

T-Bird
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

EXACTLY ! Savage16 Smile