16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  something ELSE to think about !?
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:56 am  Reply with quote

The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to...

Oh, never mind.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

Altitude is only one factor in air density. If air density effects shot cloud behavior (and physics says it should), we’d have to use air density, which depends not only on altitude, but also temperature and humidity, to make real performance comparisons. Calculating air density quickly is a bit complicated, and the units in which air density would be expressed might make it difficult for a person to attach significance to it. It might be a little more handy to use density altitude. Density altitude is the altitude relative to standard atmospheric conditions at which the air density would be equal to the air density at the place of observation. There are quickie formulas to determine approximate density altitude, which we aviators use to estimate aircraft performance during the planning of a flight.

First, you need to find Pressure Altitude for your given point of observation. Get a local barometer reading in inches of mercury (inHg). Call a small airport for that, or measure it yourself. Subtract it from 29.92 (std sea level baro pressure). Multiply that sum by 1000. (Atmospheric pressure is reduced by approximately one inch of mercury for every 1000 feet increase in altitude. That’s a pretty good approximation for altitudes up to about 10,000 feet. That's called "the standard pressure lapse rate".) Then add that product to the true altitude of the point of observation:

Pressure Altitude = altitude at point of observation + 1000 x (29.92 - local barometric pressure)

Then, to estimate Density Altitude:

Density Altitude = Pressure Altitude + [120 x (OAT - ISA Temp)]

There are a few little definitions to account for in this simple calculation: The Temps are in degrees C. ISA stands for the International Standard Atmosphere, a standard of temperatures and pressures as functions of altitude that closely match those of the real world on a situation selected as a standard -- the "Standard Day". The standard atmosphere was set up to give a reference for aeronautical performance concerns. ISA Temp in the above formula is for the altitude of the point of observation mentioned above. ISA Temp at zero altitude (Mean Sea Level, abbreviated to MSL) is 15 degrees C (59 Degrees F). For every thousand feet above MSL, the temperature profile of the Int’l Std Atmosphere goes down by very close to 2 degrees C. That temperature "lapse rate" is a good approximation all the way up to about 36,000 feet above MSL, an altitude at which you are unlikely to be shooting, I’d wager. OAT is the Outside Air Temperature – i.e. the temperature at the above-mentioned point of interest. The constant 120 makes the approximation work, and I won’t bother to go into its derivation. OK? (Thank goodness!)

So let’s try a sample calculation. Let’s say we’re in sunny Minneapolis MN in July. Elevation (true altitude) is 1000 feet, and it’s 95 degrees out, and the barometer says 29.42. That’s realistic. It happens all the time. It’s likely quite humid also, but we’re going to ignore that for the moment as it is a secondary (though deleterious) effect on air density. Its effect is somewhat compensated by the above approximate formula, by the way.

29.92 – 29.42 = 0.5

0.5 x 1000 ft. = 500 ft.

Pressure Altitude = 1000 ft. + 500 ft. = 1500 ft.

Since the altitude of observation is 1000 feet above MSL, the ISA std. temp for that altitude is 15 Deg C minus 2 Deg C or 13 Degrees C. Local temp is 95 degrees F, which is 35 Degrees C. so . . .

Density Altitude = 1500 ft + (120 x (35 – 13) ft = 4140 ft.

If the temp was 104 F and the baro was 28.92 (not atypical at all), density altitude would be about 5240 ft. – like Denver!

If, in the winter, it was 32 degrees F (zero degrees C) and the baro was 30.92, the density altitude would be minus 1560 ft! That's below sea level.

So in a year of typical shooting, we in Minneapolis might experience a density altitude span of around 7000 ft -- without so much as one step toward the oceans or the mountains! Try not to let the 6 or so inches of stuff between your ears get wrapped around the density altitude while you’re trying to crush those trap shots from the 27 yard line . . . .

Cheers!
Tony

P.S. Where is that patterning guy? Campbell, I think his name is. Let's put him to work on this!
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

My 2 cents......please don't take offense.......

No one is missing birds or killing birds because of altitude, UNLESS you are looking for excuses.

Temperature and humidity have very little effect on patterns. We learned this a long time ago from E.D. Lowry.

I am sure that if you were shooting at sea level one day and then at 10,000 ft the next, there might be a difference, but how many folks shoot at those extremes?

Get out of your heads, it's a bad place to be.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

Cabin fever must be setting in!!

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

I'm with you, Mark. I posted what I did so people can have some perspective on the range of air densities and altitudes in which they are likely to have been shooting, so they can give some thought to the likely effects relative to their experience. As of now, I don't think air density has been a big factor in percentages for the clay target games or in hunting, but I am not against some data that shows it is, and what, if anything, I might do about it.

Shooting is like golf -- lots of theories on how things work, endless speculation, mostly on things far, far less important than the fundamentals of technique, and most of which comes from those unable to quantify the effects, equipment manufacturers quick to emphasize equipment over technique so they can sell new stuff, and we users of the equipment, conditioned by our modern times to be quick to grasp at instant solutions to perceived problems.

I hope none of you feel insulted with this next statement, as that isn't the intent, but be truthful with yourself on quantifying or even discerning the effects of some of the things done on the basis of all the speculations and theories you hear.

I'm definitely not against theories. Humanity would be nowhere without the emergence of theories to explain how the world works. The scientific method is to develop a theory based on observations or ideas, and then do the utmost in experimentation to disprove the theory. If the theory holds up to the experiments designed to defeat it, then we are closer to modeling the way the world actually works. After extensive experimentation, we might then, for the time being, be so bold as to call our as yet un-disproven theories laws! Newton did, and his laws still stand up quite well. But the pressure to disprove theories in order to gain deeper understanding of the world is never over. Einstein and many others took things a little further than Newton probably imagined. Their discoveries did not invalidate Newton's theories in all circumstances, and for most practical things in life, we can go by Newtonian physics, but Newton's ideas were unable to explain some other things.

I don't know exactly how much effect air density has on pattern spread, but from my experience and education in physics and mechanical engineering it seems reasonable to think it does have an effect. I can't say my shooting experience has revealed anything definite on that effect, but I'm just one guy, and maybe I haven't been looking closely enough. I would welcome any experimental data to support the theory and quantify the effect. Then maybe we could move closer to "the truth" and see what if anything could be done to give best chances for shooting success. For now, you could say though I'm not a "doubter", I'm just one of those guys with my head in the sand, working on making good shooting moves. Very Happy
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:42 am  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke wrote:
I can't say my shooting experience has revealed anything definite on that effect, but I'm just one guy, and maybe I haven't been looking closely enough. I would welcome any experimental data to support the theory and quantify the effect. Then maybe we could move closer to "the truth" and see what if anything could be done to give best chances for shooting success. For now, you could say though I'm not a "doubter", I'm just one of those guys with my head in the sand, working on making good shooting moves. Very Happy

Tony if you would have read my post on page 1 and actually clicked on the link I provided all the experimental data is there, in a 14 page PDF file. And Neil's baseline is the Metro Gun Club at 900 feet elevation in the Cities to boot.

http://www.claytargettesting.com/Temp&Altitude/Temperature&Altitude.pdf

Four guns, two of which were tested at Metro Gun Club (900 feet) and Spanish
Fork (altitude 5000 feet) and two at Metro and Laramie, Wyoming (7300 feet). Patterns were done at 40 yards the typical range where a 27 yard handicap is shot.

Patterns were on average 38% denser in the 0-10" region. His Perazzi MX8 was 49% denser in the 0-10" at Laramie. Altitude helps increase pellet concentration in the center region of a pattern.

A 27 yard handicap target shot in the 10-20" area of the pattern has only a 80% chance of being broken. So the 0-10" center area is key to going straight or shooting a high score. 20-30" area of the pattern is golden BB territory.

What can you do about it? Same thing most experienced shooters looking for high averages do. Shoot the Satellite Grands and clubs at higher elevation.

The central thickening of the pattern does have an impact from 25 yards and back in handicap. Although even 16 yard single scores are normally a bit higher at higher elevation also. Skeet targets are shot at a lot closer range.

As to your first post about air density, temperature vs. altitude the first half of the PDF file covers that too. Summation:

Altitude changes have a far greater potential to change air density, (and so
patterns) than anything that is likely to happen with temperature. We saw
that a 30 Fahrenheit degree change in temperature might lower air density by
nearly six percent. Altitude, on the other hand, reduces air pressure by about
an inch of mercury every thousand feet as we go higher. That means that the
weather that leads to a pressure of 29 inches of mercury at 1000 feet will record
only about 25 inches at 5000 feet, resulting in a drop in air density of about 17
percent. That kind of change really affects how guns shoot!

In the thousands of pattern testing that Neil did at Metro over the years he always documented the ambient weather along with the pattern data.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:03 am  Reply with quote

So now I will ask.......with the exception of Wyochukar, who on this forum hunts at both 900' and 7,300' of altitude?

OK so how many of us have to even think about this?

double vision
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:15 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
So now I will ask.......with the exception of Wyochukar, who on this forum hunts at both 900' and 7,300' of altitude?

OK so how many of us have to even think about this?

What does reality have to do with anything? Cool (running for cover)
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:21 am  Reply with quote

FourTrax lives at 700 ft. elevation and is spending 5 weeks at ~5,000 ft. he is there right now. With surrounding elevation of +9k feet. Another member on here is showing him the ropes in that area. Waiting on a report from him to see if it something I want to start doing next year during the coldest parts of winter. Although I am not much of a quail hunter. But beats shoveling snow.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:26 pm  Reply with quote

I never run for cover. EVER.

I am also not one that changes chokes at the drop of a hat.

My point/question is......how many people actually have to take this into consideration?

There is only one person on the 16 ga. Society, that I know of, that hunts at varying elevations where a choke change might be in order.

There is no question that there is a difference in patterns, but the differences in elevation need to be relatively large in order to start changing chokes.

double vision
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:18 pm  Reply with quote

Can I hide behind you? Very Happy
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy go right ahead, not promising anything!! Mr. Green

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
patterns) than anything that is likely to happen with temperature.

Really, now . . . Then how, being tied to the ground in Minneapolis at 900 ft altitude, can my density altitude vary from more than 1500 ft below sea level to more than 5000 above sea level? That is, how can the air density vary from that typically found at minus 1500 feet to that typically found at over +5000 feet at an altitude of 900 feet? The answer is because of temperature, and humidity.

Altitude alone is not even close to being an absolute measure of air density. Temperature effects are great, and humidity effects are there too, but to a lesser degree. So, back to school, bud. Thanks for the info from the article you reference; I'll read it. I'm sorry I didn't read it when it was first referenced. If the experiment in the article actually says altitude is the determining factor in pattern spread, with little or no regard to temperature, then it ignores some significant things. Again, I'll have to read what it actually says.

I did agree that air density affects pattern spread. Guess I'd better add a sling psychrometer and a barometer to my shooting bag.Wink
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke wrote:
Quote:
patterns) than anything that is likely to happen with temperature.

Really, now . . . Then how, being tied to the ground in Minneapolis at 900 ft altitude, can my density altitude vary from more than 1500 ft below sea level to more than 5000 above sea level? That is, how can the air density vary from that typically found at minus 1500 feet to that typically found at over +5000 feet at an altitude of 900 feet? The answer is because of temperature, and humidity.

Altitude alone is not even close to being an absolute measure of air density. Temperature effects are great, and humidity effects are there too, but to a lesser degree. So, back to school, bud. Thanks for the info from the article you reference; I'll read it. I'm sorry I didn't read it when it was first referenced. If the experiment in the article actually says altitude is the determining factor in pattern spread, with little or no regard to temperature, then it ignores some significant things. Again, I'll have to read what it actually says.

I did agree that air density affects pattern spread. Guess I'd better add a sling psychrometer and a barometer to my shooting bag.Wink

Yeah read the document like I said the first half covers that. And he tested various times over years. More than anyone I have known or read. His Masters was in Statistics which is how he made his living, and that is really all a shotgun pattern is, statistics. Most of what I had in that post was just copy and paste from it. Although it isn't nuclear engineering it is more like rocket science. Hell anyone can do rocket science Very Happy Old Nuke joke...

I used to use a sling psychrometer several times a day and night for most of 20 years. It determined our stay times in the main engineering spaces. Altitude wasn't much of a factor as it was hopefully always at sea level. If not there was a real problem LOL. Although we did strive for 29.9" of mercury inside the condensers.

A 40%-50% increase in pellet count is a lot. Hmm where is that darned sling psychrometer?!
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

I have , but not like you guy's .

Dumb Ole hillbilly had better watch what they talk about , whew can't say a word in passing conversation for nothing.

Guess I shouldn't say this , but I just got 2 cases of Fiocchi hulls from Mike Graf , loading 5/8 oz of #9's we shall see if a hundred straight is in the future with all those hulls.

Regards Nick