16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Suitably of 28 ga
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

Dave: It is beautiful there, but... my last time there almost killed me. I got Lyme's fishing Slate Creek (with a W&M Granger 8040) in the Spring of 2003. Dramatically changed the course of my life and I'm still fighting to put it back together all these years later.

I grew up in Pennsylvania and still think if it as a "home" of sorts. I alternately love it and hate it for lots of reasons. I hated the pervasive ignorance and poverty I largely grew up in, and I left it to escape the economic abyss that my part of it has become. But... I still miss the slower pace and, moreover... the people I so-loved there and have now (mostly) lost over time. I certainly miss the gorgeous deciduous forests and the beautiful rivers and streams that run through them. Some of which are still very beautiful. Sadly, access to most of the ones I knew and loved are no-longer publicly available. Many (if not most) have been either posted or developed, or both. You really can't go home again, can you? I'll bet your part of it is still very much fun and beautiful. Your Elsies and your dogs surely help to make it so.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:35 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd3,

Sorry about the Llymes, that really sucks, I get blood tested 3 times a year by VA to make sure I have no problems from being in the woods so much.

I can understand the poverty situation in some of the small towns, I was lucky the our family was not effected in that way.

The mountains are still beautiful here in Potter and Tioga and things have really not changed very much. I love my log cabin and I have great neighbors who watch over my property and cabin when I am down in Murrysville for short time periods.

No doubt about it my Ryman and Gordon Setter dogs help keep me alive, so I can continue using my L.C. Smith, J.P Sauer and LeFever double guns. Ken Graft has a real nice A1 Fox with up graded wood that I hope he will eventually sell me, when he picks up something else he happens to like.

If you ever get back this way let me know we will take a walk thrut he Grouse woods here in Potter together.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

Ken's A1 Fox

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:10 am  Reply with quote

Dave: Lovely A1 Fox. I have an old client (now friend) who picked up a stunning late damascus "C" grade 16 Lefever (with B level engraving and wood) a few years ago that is easily the nicest American 16 I've ever handled. I'd love to own a classic American gun again, but... I'm generally not willing to pay the freight the better upland versions command. I know that 6-lb Foxes and Lefevers exist, but most won't fit me very well and they are few and far-between.

Hey...I'd love to see your coverts some time. Appreciate the invite.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

Lloyd3,

I agree the higher grade Classic guns are going for some serious money and it's one of the reasons I only purchase a good gun every other year now. I am currently looking at side lock J. P. Sauer pre war guns. They seem to be the most reasonably priced of all the classic double guns right now. The Parker, L.C. Smith, Fox and LeFever graded guns are bringing very serious money now, even with a lot of the WWII collectors passing away and their collections being sold.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

My Pre 1913 16 gauge Special order 00 two barrel set with Kraus #1 gun Spinning Clays engraving. One serious Classic American L.C. Smith bird gun.

hayseed
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek, you have a stunning collection of fine shotguns.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:48 pm  Reply with quote

We're really off-topic here now but...the very first decent (IE. good weight and handling, w/effective triggers) upland double I ever handled was a Circa 1927 featherweight 16 Elsie field-grade gun that was given to my landman father by a geologist friend of his from Meadville, Pennsylvania. My brother still has it. That gun has cost me alot of money over the years.

Last edited by Lloyd3 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

hayseed,

Thanks much for the nice comment on my L.C. Smith guns.

Lloyd3,

We did wonder off the subject of the Suitability of the 28 gauge gun a might. On this forum it's easy to get side tracked back into talking about 16 gauge guns.

The new 28 gauge L.C. Smith made for Marlin by Zabala I happen to own, it's not a true L.C. Smith, it's a Box Lock with no Brown Rotary Bolt and it only has a SST. Nice little gun but no were near the original L.C. Smith engineering. It shoots Pheasants well inside 30 yards with the B&P #6 shells, has 5 screw in chokes and swings nicely while hunting. The Purdey type lock up system is nice and I have had absolutely no problem with the gun, as I Grouse and Woodcock hunt.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

The 28 gauge double gun is a better Grouse, Woodcock & Quail gun than a wild Pheasant gun IMO.

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

Love the intensity in your dog's eyes. True Gordon.
I so miss those brown eyes in my house....

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

Lovely Smiths. I understand the attraction, but I've never owned one, simply because they are such a nightmare to put back together once taken apart. I don't really understand the point of the rotary bolt through the trigger plate design. So I stick to Lefevers, and hammer guns, which are both elegant and simple to work on. As for a 28, I could see getting one if all I hunted was quail or doves, but here in the NW, it's mostly an open field game, and shots can be long, depending. Use enough gun. My two cents, fwiw. Wink

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:05 am  Reply with quote

My little 28 is a Turk. It's a .410/28 Dickenson that I picked up from Cabalas a few years ago. Had to get them to re-do the triggers for me under warranty (too-darn heavy!), but after all that it's been a lovely little wand. I like the 28 tubes on the .410 frame. It's also a trigger-plate action that weighs only 5 1/4 lbs.

[url=https://imgur.com/PeXRb0y] [/url]

It's been alot of gun for the money. Now I just need to use it more.

Ruff Hunter
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:18 am  Reply with quote

We don’t have much for wild pheasant where I am, and the stocking program is a joke that I don’t find funny, so I can’t speak to the use of a 28ga on Pheasants. But, using the standard 3/4 oz load my 4/53 drops ol’ Mr. Ruff and his good pal Woodie just fine. And it is nice to carry all day too.

16Ga BRNO
20Ga LC Smith
20Ga Miroku x2 (Model F & Model 500)
28Ga AYA 4/53 (bucket list item #6)
bmarks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

Looks like a wonderful set. I have given much thought as to if i would rather the 410/28 or 20/28 combo. I like the idea of the lighter gun with the 410bbls, but i also dont see myself using the 410 tubes for much at all. I think the 20/28 combo would be utilized much more between clays and bird hunting.
Anyway, that looks like a great value

Lloyd3 wrote:
My little 28 is a Turk. It's a .410/28 Dickenson that I picked up from Cabalas a few years ago. Had to get them to re-do the triggers for me under warranty (too-darn heavy!), but after all that it's been a lovely little wand. I like the 28 tubes on the .410 frame. It's also a trigger-plate action that weighs only 5 1/4 lbs.

[url=https://imgur.com/PeXRb0y] [/url]

It's been alot of gun for the money. Now I just need to use it more.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

bmark,

Got to admit unless you train gun dogs, you will get a lot more use out of the 28/20 combo gun than you will the .410/28 combo gun. I used my Browning and my SR 28/20 gauge combo gun both training dogs and shooting clays. My .410 guns are strictly for introduction of gun fire to my young gun dogs.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

Dave:

I looked closely at both of the Dickinson options and had no-problem deciding on the .410/28. The other combo is built on the 20-gauge frame and was simply too-heavy (IMHO) for a proper 28. My gun handles like a far-more expensive version of itself. 28-tubes and 14 1/2 LOP makes it a good fit for a bigger person as well.

I'd like to think that the dainty little .410 tubes will get used some day. Maybe on doves?

bmarks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

Lloyd3 wrote:
Dave:

I looked closely at both of the Dickinson options and had no-problem deciding on the .410/28. The other combo is built on the 20-gauge frame and was simply too-heavy (IMHO) for a proper 28. My gun handles like a far-more expensive version of itself. 28-tubes and 14 1/2 LOP makes it a good fit for a bigger person as well.

I'd like to think that the dainty little .410 tubes will get used some day. Maybe on doves?

Do either of yall know how much the dickinson 28/20 combo weighs (ballpark)?
The listed weights on the website are vague.
My CZ bobwhite 28ga is sub- 5lbs. I would be just fine with a gun around or a little under 6.5lbs for a dickinson 20/28 combo