16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Comb Raising Kit
Winchester21
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

This post is to make everyone aware of an excellent solution to those in need of a higher comb. It is the "Beartooth Comb Raising Kit 2.0" which is available for both shotguns and rifles. I use them both.
They consist of an elastic nylon sleeve that fits very tightly over the buttstock. Included are spacer pads that you insert under the sleeve and on top of the comb. The spacers come in 5 heights: 1/8" 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" and 5/8". They can be used singly or combined, giving a range from 1/8" to 1-7/8". And unlike other solutions, they can be removed with no damage to the gun's finish.
They also have sleeves on the right sight for holding shells, 4 for shotguns and 5 for rifles. They cost ~25$-$30.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:29 am  Reply with quote

https://www.beartooth-products.com/collections/comb-raising-kit-gun-cover-cheek-pad-weld-piece-riser
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:24 am  Reply with quote

Great heads-up W21, I use these and are a simple easy fix and find once the spacers are dialed in locking everything in place w/2 sided tape prevents the (actually neoprene) sleeve and spacers from creeping out of position.

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting,how do you clean them?
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:06 am  Reply with quote

I was all set to order one of these but found out I already have a brand new one I've never tried Very Happy !

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:02 am  Reply with quote

Although never seen the need to clean, they slough off the hunting debris (but pick up brushbusting thorns well) I'd imagine any of the cleaning products or techniques used on the common Hodgman brown neoprene, IMO pretty much same material, waders would work. Or the Beartooth folks probably have a suggested cleaning method.

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:09 am  Reply with quote

I had a Beartooth comb system and hated it. It seemed like an old lady's rear stuffed in a girdle on my stock, and it shifted around. I understand others like them, so take my comments in stride. Now I take the steps to insure my guns fit without strap-ons.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:06 am  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
I was all set to order one of these but found out I already have a brand new one I've never tried Very Happy !

Well, I spent about half an hour this morning trying to get the d*mned thing on. Pretty convinced it's at least a two-person job; maybe more. Don't much care for the fit on my 20ga Fox no matter how much I pull/tug/smoosh it around; maybe it works better on others. The only redeeming factor for me is that the shims may work under my Accu-Riser pad. If anyone wants to try one I'm pretty sure I'm going to have one for sale soon Evil or Very Mad .

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook