16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  ballistic prods sale
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:26 am  Reply with quote

This weeks add has Rio cases (bulk 16's) and sg16 shorts on sale . You can still use last weeks code word "moose" for a flat rate shipping special . Special is good for 4 more days (2/7)

Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:26 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting, that's the combo I've gravitated to, cut down to 2 1/2". Rio cases are sturdier in the MEC reloader than Cheddites, and with the SG16 shorts they are ideal for all loads up to 1 oz with no spacers or fillers. Crimps are perfect.

HOWEVER Rio primers are necessary in Rio cases, others will fall out of the Rio primer pocket. I've been using the Rio primers loads interchangeably with Cheddites, but that might not be precisely valid. Velocities are holding the same with both primers.

B.
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Fiocchi-16ga-275-new_primed-hull-8mm-bag_100/productinfo/064166708/

and all

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/16-gauge-hulls/products/77/

nj gsp
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
Interesting, that's the combo I've gravitated to, cut down to 2 1/2". Rio cases are sturdier in the MEC reloader than Cheddites, and with the SG16 shorts they are ideal for all loads up to 1 oz with no spacers or fillers. Crimps are perfect.

HOWEVER Rio primers are necessary in Rio cases, others will fall out of the Rio primer pocket. I've been using the Rio primers loads interchangeably with Cheddites, but that might not be precisely valid. Velocities are holding the same with both primers.

B.

I got a couple hundred Fiocchi primed 8mm hulls and a primer pocket resizing tool delivered yesterday. Ever try the resizing tool on the Rio hulls?
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:35 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Ever try the resizing tool on the Rio hulls?

Have not. I wonder if it might loosen the base wad inside the hull.

I found that sizing the Rio hull with the collet after depriming and prior to priming tightens the primer pocket a bit, but still not totally satisfactory

B
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:22 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up 16D, might grab some steel shot if included in the sale, loading for an upcoming Snow Goose hunt has put a dent in inventory. Cool

[/quote] Ever try the resizing tool on the Rio hulls?[/quote]

Have the resize tool and yes it works on pretty much in any 209 hull including Rio's. NOTE* watch the base wad in these, not uncommon in the ones I've reloaded to have it dislodge after firing. Also, I found trying to resize them so the W209 (my go to) will hold for successive reloads doesn't work well, had to pretty much resize after every firing. Using the larger Rio, Fio & Ched primers was the way to go.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:59 am  Reply with quote

the guys at the trap club used to get Rio's when Vendel was there by the skid . I grabbed the empties by the bucket and every so often , the promer would still be sitting there on the station .Really checked the cases close , and 1/2 were chedds , the other 1/2 was Rio . The chedds took the smaller primers ok , the Rios were large . Just saying , check for the stars !! Just trying to keep these things in front of you guys if you need them . Becoming more important here in NY .