16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Remington 11-48
jim18611865
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:26 am  Reply with quote

megasupermagnum,

Thanks for the pics. Now I know where to look. I didn't know the ring came off the spring. My spring is super tight on the mag tube. It even makes marks on the tube when removing it. I may have to address that as well.
Thanks again.

Jim
megasupermagnum
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:20 am  Reply with quote

jim18611865 wrote:
megasupermagnum,

Thanks for the pics. Now I know where to look. I didn't know the ring came off the spring. My spring is super tight on the mag tube. It even makes marks on the tube when removing it. I may have to address that as well.
Thanks again.

Jim

I wont claim to be an authority, as I am brand new to these guns. It doesn't make any sense to me to have a spring binding. It is real easy to grind the outside of the spring as I did on a bench grinder.

@nj gsp

Here is the stock spacer AKA the stock bearing plate.

There does not seem to be any consensus on what it is for. The really odd thing is that it does not bottom out in the receiver recess on mine. I think no matter what stock you have, the ultimate goal is to have it bottom out in that recess, and and not on the raised outside. I've read where 12 gauge Remington stocks like from an 870, 1100, 11-87 etc. fit with only minor modifications. What I didn't like is that they are a different size, even though they do fit the receiver. I searched Ebay for a week before this nice one from another 16 gauge, actually by accident while buying the 26" barrel.

I finished the recoil pad. I went with the Kickeez magnum plus a 1/4" spacer. Grinding a pad is easy, but like most things, doing it well is difficult. This is the best one I've done so far. A great looking stock too.

nj gsp
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:25 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting, I'm not sure mine has a stock bearing plate. Maybe that's why it chipped out. Here's a photo - it's tight now, and I've fired hundreds of rounds through it like this with no further chipping, but it is kinda ugly.

megasupermagnum
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:56 am  Reply with quote

Mine was chipped in the exact same way. The stock bearing plate does not work with the original stock. I believe the general consensus is that the chipping is caused by shooting with the stock loose.
gwpw16
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

I really like my 1148. This is my second 1148. This one I will keep a while longer than my first. They are easy to carry for me, and I can shoot straight with them. I would suggest these 16 gauges for anyone who likes semi-autos. They are a real bargain.

gwpw16
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

I really like my 1148. This is my second 1148. This one I will keep a while longer than my first. They are easy to carry for me, and I can shoot straight with them. I would suggest these 16 gauges for anyone who likes semi-autos. They are a real bargain.