16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Browning Maxus - Recoil Reduction
Winchester21
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

I know that the Browning Maxus does not come in a 16ga but an elderly friend of mine is thinking about buying one. His rationale is that he whats to shoot a 12ga for 5-Stand but needs a gun with lighter weight than the Rem 1100 he has now. He's 88 now and his strength is going.

The Maxus is touted (by Browning) as having a comparatively much lighter recoil than comparable gas operated semiautomatics but we want to know if that is really true or not. No one we know here in SoCal has one so we can't ask them or try their Maxus out.

He is now using only 7/8 or 3/4 oz loads in his 12ga pump gun but wants to get a lighter weight AND lighter recoiling autoloader. And real experience or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
megasupermagnum
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

My experience is that while 7/8 oz is an acceptable load, 3/4 oz is too much of a good thing in a 12 gauge.

Those are 20 gauge loads, they will probably even cylcle in them.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

I have shot both w/ 7/8 +3/4 oz loads.The A400 w/ the kickoff will recoil less---EVERY maker says they have the softest,fastest cycling,etc. on the market.The maxus has speedfeed--put a shell in the magtube and it loads the shell into the receiver and would be easier for him to clean.The piston is large and not as sensitive to rough handling.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:05 am  Reply with quote

Browning New model Sweet Sixteen , under 6lbs and light recoil with a 1oz load.
rdja
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:05 am  Reply with quote

I routinely shoot 3/4 oz loads at 1350 fps out of my A391 Extrema 2, 12 ga. It has a Kick-off too. Not a light gun though, 8 pounds, but I can shoot it all day long and feel nothing. I would suggest to consider a 20 ga A400 with a kick off. 20 ga will kill every target in 5 stand that a 12 will. Mine weighs 6.25 is very well balanced. I do like my 16g new A5 but it still recoils more than a 20ga A400. One word of advice with the A400 20 ga, stay away from Rio 20 ga target shells. Only shell I have had cycle issues with.
Another option for recoil is to have an ISIS recoil mechanism installed. I had one installed on my 12 ga Winchester 21 that I shoot at clays, made a big difference over 100 targets. There are other brands of recoil reducers. I do wonder if you have to be careful putting one on an inertia gun. With some mechanism might they interfere with cycling?

Have heard good thing about he Remington Versa max for recoil, have never shot one so have no experience.
pksman
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:39 am  Reply with quote

I have a Maxus I used for hunting and trap before I got the 16ga sickness. I used to shoot 1 oz loads all the time. The recoil is very light with the Maxus when compared to my Beretta 390.
Its a light gun with light recoil.
pksman
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:39 am  Reply with quote

Laughing
Winchester21
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

Pksman - Thank you! Finally a response that actually answered my questions!
Thank you to the others that offered advice but I was only interested in finding out how the Browning Maxus performed with it's light weight. (~7 lbs)

The Maxus manual says that a Maxus with a 3" chamber will cycle 1oz and heavier loads, but on their website one of the FAQ's states that it will cycle most 7/8 oz and heavier loads.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:14 am  Reply with quote

I have a camo Maxus that I bought for waterfowl hunting when they first came out but use for just about everything except woodcock / grouse. It's fairly light and TRIM for an auto 12 unlike my Browning Golds. I think its the best auto on the market, recoil is very light. Several years ago I started loading 7/8 ounce loads that I shoot in my 12 gauges for 5 stand/skeet and sporting clays. They function well in my Maxus( not in my A5 12) it is very reliable. I'm on the fence about ordering the Carbon Sporting one now. Highly recommend it.
Winchester21
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks again to those that replied with comparative recoil evaluations on the Maxus. I've passed that on to my friend and he's planning to order the Hunter model with a 26" barrel. The only thing he still shoots is 5-Stand because he can lean against the steel cages at Prado Tiro if he loses his balance.

He's 88 now, and still the best shot of our group. He's given up on his 28ga and .410's because he doesn't want to reload anymore. When he used his Rem 1100 this week he had a heck of a time managing its weight. He prefers 12ga over 20ga.

As far as autoloaders, for my money if it ain't an Auto5, it ain't worth having! I've got four of them and they've never given me any trouble. One is a 1953 Sweet 16 that I've been shooting for 62 years. The others are a 12 Mag, 12ga custom trap model, and a 20 Mag. I personally don't like the new A5 ... too light and I hate the sharp grip angle.
pksman
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

When I lived in SoCal (Chino) I used to shoot trap at Prado. I got a kick out of some of the older guys there. One in particular would bring a stool with him to the line. He would sit between shots. I thought it was funny, but he was a better shot than I ever was. Laughing