16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Great reloading resource
8mmFan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

Hey all, I came across something good today. Maybe I'm just the last to know, but the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook is really a great resource. I bought it at Scheel's after looking through it.

They have a lot of the powders and hulls that I have sitting around, not just for 16 gauge--although it's a good resource for that--but also 12 and 20 gauge.

Before I bought it, I went out to the truck and jumped online to see if Lyman listed the loads on their website. Nothing there, so I called them and talked to a guy there. He said that the last time that book was really updated was 13 years ago, and they don't recommend using the data. He also said they're not that much into shotshell reloading at this time.

Well, I bought the book anyway, as I doubt if Green Dot, Blue Dot, International Clays, etc., have changed much in 13 years.

Anyway, good resource, and I thought I'd pass it along here.

8mmFan
df
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

I found one at a gun show couple years ago. I think it’s a good resource.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:04 am  Reply with quote

I bought my Lyman #2 it seems like around 1970 ... still use it to reference stuff on occasion . Need to get a #5 just to see what changes may have occurred .

Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

I was advised by BPI tester that pressures can vary significantly from powder lot to lot. Example given was Longshot.

B.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

Not to start an argument, but canister powder lots do not vary lot to lot significantly. That is the whole point of canister powders for reloading, they are made NOT to vary significantly lot to lot.

BPI has the stuff, but their ballistics information is ummmmmmmm.........questionable.

8mmFan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:09 pm  Reply with quote

One part of the manual that I especially appreciate is the detailed description of various hulls, right down to pictures of them in color.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:45 am  Reply with quote

8mmFan,

The Lyman Manuals are the first piece of information that anyone starting to reload shotshells should read.

There is great information.

The data in the 5th Edition is still relevant as long as you are using the exact components listed.

gomerdog
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:30 am  Reply with quote

8mmFan wrote:

Before I bought it, I went out to the truck and jumped online to see if Lyman listed the loads on their website. Nothing there, so I called them and talked to a guy there. He said that the last time that book was really updated was 13 years ago, and they don't recommend using the data. He also said they're not that much into shotshell reloading at this time. 8mmFan

Well, that's kind of a disappointment. I use my copy often, but a lot their information is outdated.