16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Remington Model 11
JoseBob
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:38 am  Reply with quote

I have a chance to acquire a Model 11 16 ga. with the Factory installed Poly Choke on it. The barrel is not marked with a choke. It is very tight and in great shape. It is not the Sportsman (3 shot) model either.

I shoot mostly squirrels and other small game; however, hogs could be on the agenda where I hunt. So, I will have some buckshot with me. Should be fairly easy to just dial the choke a little more open to take on Mr. Porker.

I have several 16's, but this is the first Auto. Anyone know if there is a special way to shoot the lighter loads and the heavy loads without jumping through hoops?

Pretty sure I can get it for about $325. Iffin this price is out of line let me know...
Thanks....Bobby

skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds good as long as the wood (stock AND farend) are not cracked.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Shotguns/search?Keywords=rem*%2011%2016*&Sort=13

Mike

John Singer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:09 am  Reply with quote

JoseBob wrote:

I have several 16's, but this is the first Auto. Anyone know if there is a special way to shoot the lighter loads and the heavy loads without jumping through hoops?

I do not know what you mean about "jumping through hoops".

It is not rocket surgery. Here is a video.

https://youtu.be/oa4enrfc-ZA

A couple general principles apply. There is a friction piece and a friction ring. The friction piece is steel and has a flat side and a beveled side. The friction piece is installed such that the flat side always is in contact with the spring. For heavy loads, it is employed to increase friction. For light loads, it is stored at the receiver where it does not increase friction.

Always set the gun up for heavy loads. Only employ the light load setting if the gun fails to cycle with the heavy load setting.

Last edited by John Singer on Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Researcher
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:05 am  Reply with quote

Factory Poly-Chokes from Remington Arms Co., Inc., were milled integral with the barrel --

JoseBob
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

John Singer wrote:
JoseBob wrote:

I do not know what you mean about "jumping through hoops".

It is not rocket surgery. Here is a video.

https://youtu.be/oa4enrfc-ZA

A couple general principles apply. There is a friction piece and a friction ring. The friction piece is steel and has a flat side and a beveled side. The flat side is installed such that the flat side always is in contact with the spring. For heavy loads, it is employed to increase friction. For light loads, it is stored at the receiver where it does not increase friction.

Always set the gun up for heavy loads. Only employ the light load setting if the fails to cycle with the heavy load setting.

John this is Great Information. I knew there was an easy explanation for it. Thank you...Bobby

Bloodhound
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

Researcher wrote:
Factory Poly-Chokes from Remington Arms Co., Inc., were milled integral with the barrel --

Cool...I have never seen one! Thanks

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your GOD
JoseBob
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I got it. Took it apart and cleaned her well. The friction ring was at the rear of the spring next to the receiver. Moved it to the front of the spring. Put it all back together and she seemed to function well.

Made a special trip to the range with 3 different types of ammo. Winchester Super X 3 1/2 Dram 1 1/8 oz of #6, Kent 2 3/4 Dram 1 oz of #6 and a Remington game load 2 1/2 Dram 1 oz. All functioned well at the heavy load setting. It was definitely a different feel to it; sort of a recoil then a push. I set poly choke at full then one click past full. She threw a very tight pattern to 40 and 45 yards with the Super X. Pretty good with the Kent to 40, But the Remington was sure light and shot started dropping out at about 35 yards. Weak pattern as well. The Remington game load hulls were thrown in a totally different place than the others.

Very well pleased. Can't wait to hunt with her in the fall. May make a trip up North for some Pheasant hunting as well. I think she will do well for an 80 year old lady...

Researcher
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting. The last two flats of 16-gauge Remington Game Loads I got were not marked 2 1/2 dram equiv. but rather 1200 fps, and I found them extremely harsh, even in my heavy 16-gauge Remington "Sportsman" and my RBL-16. I certainly wouldn't want to shoot them in any of my light weight Fox 16-gauge doubles.

While I normally hunt with doubles, over 13 years ago now while I was out hunting with my "Sportsman" the perfect opportunity arose and I got a triple.

Kind of softened the blow earlier in the day when I missed a rooster three shots!!

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:13 pm  Reply with quote

The pooch seems to approve. I notice a distinct difference between Remington and Federal in their game loads. With Federal being gentler. (And prettier too)