16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Winchester Model 12 16ga with a 30 inch barrel?
Bloodhound
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

Howdy...About a year and a half ago I sew an auction for a Model 12 16ga that listed the guns a "Extensive surface rust but good wood and tight action and 28 in barrel. I made a low ball bid and was the only bidder and got it way cheap...I was looking for a project to learn Rust Bluing.

The gun arrived and it wasn't rust...it was a hardened red grease of some type and the barrel was 30 inches. Its not perfect, but in good solid condition. So my question is how rare or not rare is the 30 inch barrel on a 16ga model 12. The gun dates to 1943 and it is a full choke.

Thanks

Scott

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your GOD
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

Scarce for sure. Congrats.

Researcher
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

About the time Winchester switched from the Model 12 Nickle Steel barrels to the Winchester Proof Steel barrels they added 30-inch barrels for the 16- and 20-gauge Model 12s. They remained catalog symbol guns with both plain and solid ribs to a bit after WW-II, but certainly were not big sellers.

In 1920 when Remington Arms Co., Inc. brought out their Model 17 20-gauge pump, chambered for the 2 3/4 inch 20-gauge shell, they offered it with 26-, 28-, 30- and 32-inch barrels.

In his 1923 book Capt. E.C. Crossman roundly criticized the company that only chambered their gun for 2 1/2 inch shells and offered a limited choice of barrel lengths. Meanwhile he praised the company that offered the 2 3/4 inch chambered gun with greater choice of barrel lengths. Winchester eventually reacted.

Rick O
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:29 am  Reply with quote

...I almost always shoot a 28" Model 12 , so After hearing about it for a couple of years, a buddy of mine brought his all original 1928 30" sixteen and let me borrow it for a day last January.

I shot 5 ducks and probably missed the same with it on a very windy day, a Sprig, Two Cinnamon and a couple Wigeon using Hevi Bismuth #4 and BOSS Bismuth #5 via the FULL choke.

.I liked the way it came up and swung,much like the 28" old 16 ga 870, I think I like that extra length and ,unlike my newer sixteen ga M12's, had zero hang ups in the un cut eject port..
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:04 am  Reply with quote

I had one for quite a few yrs . Had a Simmons rib put on and jeweled bolt etc . Loved it . Piles of mags thru it and a bit of trap . Lots of ducks too . A friend HAD to have it got it and after a short while , it disappeared into the unknown !! still miss it ! ( just a way different look/feel than a similar 12ga )

Bloodhound
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks gang. It is a fairly clean gun, with some light thinning on the metal and a small blood mark on the receiver. It is tight and the receiver adjustment ring is unmoved. The wood looks good and the butt plate is clean...the gun is all original and I just happened to luck into it.

I need to get/put together some spreader loads to get it into the field to see how it compares to my 28 inch barreled model 12 16ga.

can't wait till Fall Smile

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your GOD
kgb
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

I shot a 30" 16ga with solid rib for several years, it didn't feel imbalanced but wasn't likely to be considered a "fast" gun by most uplanders.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

One of my Model 12 20's is a 30" full choke, solid rib, straight grip, long forend, Trap Grade.

I've had 2 Remington Model 17's, both 30". First one was a deluxe with a plain bbl, and it has been passed on, and the one I have now has standard wood and has a solid rib. Both were/are full choked. Ted Schefelbein. has expressed his appreciation for the Model 17, and I concur. What a sweet handling, slim little rod it is. The solid ribs on these are so attractive -- tapered! I remember old articles I read as a teenager by Francis E. Sell, about shooting black brant with a 32" Model 17.

I'd like to have a 30" Winchester Model 12 16ga., but honestly I don't know what I'd do with it, as I really need to start divesting myself of what has become a collection of shotguns that do not get enough exercise.
kgb
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:38 pm  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke wrote:

I'd like to have a 30" Winchester Model 12 16ga., but honestly I don't know what I'd do with it, as I really need to start divesting myself of what has become a collection of shotguns that do not get enough exercise.

No kidding! My maneuvering/reduction has been based on chokes for the most part, as good a reason as any I can think of until the system derails and it goes another direction.

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:04 am  Reply with quote

I used to have an early 16-gauge Model 12 with a wonderfully modified straight-grip stock. It solved all the Model 12 problems I normally have by having the correct LOP and drop at comb and heel. I believe I know where it is these days (unless it got moved along...Dale?). I can look at it on my old Photobucket account but can't access it to share here unless I pay them some exorbitant fee (damn them!). M12s in 16 are exceptional guns. Nickel steel (w/100,000 psi tensile-strength) and built on 20-gauge frames so they can be very light. The knock on the early guns was the need to use shorter shells (RST 2 1/2s work perfectly) or open the ejection ports. A minor trade-off IMHO.

putz463
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:54 am  Reply with quote

Oh my, probably a smooth swinger.....I see dead Ducks......