16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  So just when does all of this ballistics crap matter?
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:26 am  Reply with quote

I gotta say, bobski's post is the one here that speaks to me.

I learned a long time ago not to pooh-pooh anything on an enthusiasts' board unless you want to be branded a scoundrel, an under-achiever, a know-nothing, etc. Very Happy . I follow a few shotgun boards, a couple fly-fishing boards, a couple guitar boards, and a few for other miscellaneous interests, and it's certainly the nature of a lot of folks to overthink, over-complicate, and obsess over each and every bit of minutiae about whatever their passion is.

Guitar players fret (Very Happy sorry) over string gauges, bridge pin and saddle materials, what capo is best, and on and on. Some fly fishers splice sections of line together trying to find perfection, worry about which leader turns over better, look down their nose at anyone who doesn't fish A. bamboo, B. glass, C. whatever. Golfers change clubs, balls, probably tees if they think it will improve their game. And we only have to follow this thread to learn about shotgunners!

I have a few very nice guitars and a couple of good banjos. I just play 'em. Got a few decent fly rods in all the materials above; each seems to work just fine with whatever line I bought off the rack, and I enjoy them all; I've even caught fish with them! Have a few nice shotguns too. Most of them are older than I so I do try to shoot the softest loads I can find that I believe will do the job, but beyond that I don't worry about it. I seem to get my share of birds.

My old dad had a saying: "Get a gun and learn to shoot it." Not trying to preach to anyone here; if the minutiae is what turns you on, more power to ya. Just pointing out that some of us (more than me, I think) just enjoy our stuff without over-analyzing it. I'll quote from a piece called "We Just Called It Huntin'" that appeared a while back in the anthology, A Gentleman's Fireside Diary: "Get too fancy with anything, or turn it into a science, and most of the magic runs right out the other end."

Last edited by fin2feather on Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:00 am; edited 2 times in total

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:54 am  Reply with quote

fin2feather, I LIKE THAT!!

duckdup
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:02 am  Reply with quote

Hunting is a joy, loading my own is satisfying, reading about ballistics helps me sleep.

It's all good...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...