16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  English guns
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:50 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
I've actually looked at all of these listings and have my eye on some that are not mentioned here, but...this Coronavirus thing probably just ended my regular job for a while, so I am on hold at the moment.

The good news is that I may improving my situation as a result of that. A friend has been after for about 5 years me to partner with him farming in North Dakota. His kids weren't interested in farming and moved away to pursue other careers in welding and aircraft. I called him this week and told him I would. Just waiting on the details.

I will still be writing my magazine articles either way.

One door closes, another opens.... Good for you!

Btw, that Joseph Lang above is the cat's meow. Drool.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:51 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Have fun choosing a nice gun!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

Wyo,
I am a great admirer of British guns...when they are owned by others. To me the British gun scene is a giant rabbit hole that I am hesitant to enter.

Good luck with your ND ventures. We once entertained the notion of joining the farming business up there ourselves but got bought out (thankfully) before we got started by folks who, unlike us, actually knew what they were doing.
B.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:29 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster, my friend who owns the farm, grew up on it and has been farming his whole life...so it is his expertise that will ensure the crops are farmed right and proper. He insisted that I will learn easily enough. It's a good way to be isolated during this Covid crisis too.

The gun purchase is on hold right now since I made all of my mortgage payments through wheat harvest time, just to be safe. Drained the checking account down a wee bit to say the least. I will assess and evaluate my options as the country's financial situation stabilizes. Judging by the great crop of guns out there, good ones come along often enough that i will find something just right when the time comes.

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:52 am  Reply with quote

Good luck, Wyo. My best friend was a farmer and I was his right hand man for a number of years. Loved the life and being connected to the land in that way. Can't imagine a better place to be than North Dakota.

I'm with Brewster on the English rabbit-hole and you can also throw in graded American classics. Love the guns, so full of soul, but I'll love them vicariously. When it comes down to it, for me, it's all about the shooting, and we can love what we have.

Stay safe everyone.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

All the best Wyo, you will be journeying to the land of my forebears, a demanding place yet still inhabited by proud, kind, and sturdy people. Let your new livelihood be fruitful and rewarding.
B.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I think you guys are being a might hard on your views of Best English and American double guns. I love our L.C. Smith double guns and after being afforded the opportunity to walk with GBE's 12 gauge Purdey I have to say I understand why so many bird hunters love those Purdey double Guns. One fine piece of engineering, great London bird guns, no doubt about it.

No rabbit hole I can see!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

L.C. Smith America's Best - John Houchins

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

Well, $4 wheat killed the farming deal. That's the break even point, so why bother? Oh well, Scott knows that I am willing to farm when prices go back up. Not the end for sure. So for now, I'm just in a holding pattern. Like I said, I didn't quit the bus driving job, so when things get back to normal, well things will be back to normal. For now, gun purchase is merely delayed and I'm enjoying not having to deal with hotels and highways.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Got to admit mine are on hold also, till things get back to normal.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.c. Smith Man

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:07 am  Reply with quote

English guns can be a "rabbit hole" if you're not educated about what to look for. Barrels are key. If they are in proof and have adequate wall diameter, you'll never have to think about it again in your lifetime. This reason alone is why you should consider dealing with a reputable gun dealer who knows English guns. The rest is tastes and needs.

Last edited by Lloyd3 on Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:28 pm  Reply with quote

Judging by the number of articles, books, and opinions published on the subject, as well as the numerous and seemingly endless threads here and elsewhere, it appears to me that establishing whether a British barrel is still in proof and determining adequate wall diameter (and thickness) is a very long and deep rabbit hole.
V/R
B.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

Love my 2 English guns!

Matt
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

I'm no rocket scientist and I found the subject pretty understandable. Admittedly...I tend to dive deeply into the subjects I'm fascinated by but, really... two books, Steve Bodio's "Good Guns Again" and Diggory Haydoke's "Vintage Guns for the Modern Shot" should answer all of your questions. The real fun of this is learning about the subject matter, and...the history is fascinating. "Good Guns" deals with American and European guns as well.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

Lloyd3,

Right on the money buddy, great post.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:09 am  Reply with quote

Not really that big of a deal establishing "in proof", which we never even bother with in American guns by the way, since there are measuring tools and barrels are marked with dimensions. Kirby is good for actually listing wall thickness on his guns and will provide any other measurements you ask for. Realistically, as long as minimum wall thickness are still present, then there is much less concern.

Example: one gun may have left the factory with barrel tapers that provide an additional .020" of thickness than another gun struck lighter, but both were proofed to the same standard and utilize the same steels/ metallurgy. If the first gun is bored out to the point that it now has walls the same thickness as the lighter gun, it is now "out of proof" by British standards, but now dimensionally equal to the lighter gun which is still "in proof". I concerned only with structural and mechanical safety, not an assigned label. I have measuring tools.