16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New model Sweet 16 and Browning service
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:22 am  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:
Turkman, That's the first load I remember anyone doing in a 16 with Titewad. Does the BP manual say what the velocity/pressure should be?

Turkman, I think Savage 16 is on to something. Tightwad is a pretty fast burning and powder and 19 gr. sounds like a LOT in a 16 gauge hull. Personally I wouldn't ever use a powder like that in a 16. Your ammo might be cracking those stocks.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:32 am  Reply with quote

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pndWLHxxp] [/URL]

I might be overreacting, so take my caution with a grain of salt if I am. It just sounds like an edgy load to me.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:49 am  Reply with quote

I'll just end with this and then shut up. Smile

The only A5's that have had a consistent stock cracking problem are the 12 ga. 3 1/2" wood-stocked guns.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:02 am  Reply with quote

Took trigger group out other day to clean noticed this after. Worth sending back to Browning? Haven't had great luck with their customer service with one rifle and my Maxus early on. Joe

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/59777_600x400/] [/URL]
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:22 am  Reply with quote

Powder burn rate has nothing to do with a cracked stock or with recoil for that matter. Yup 19.0 grains is a bit much probably, but it isn't the reason for the cracked stocks.

This is a wood and/or inletting issue with Turkman's shotgun.

Last edited by MSM2019 on Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:01 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
Powder burn rate has nothing to do with a cracked stock or with recoil for that matter. Yup 19.0 grains is a bit much probably, but it isn't the reason for the cracked stocks.

This is a wood and/or inletting issue with Turkman's shotgun.

I didn't intend to imply that pressure cracked Turkman's stock. Over the top recoil does crack stocks. The last time I used BP data my Remington 11 generated profound recoil. A quick check on my Crony revealed 1600+ fps. Things ramp in a hurry with fast burning powders like that.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,

Yeah but, it's only a 7/8 oz. load, so 3 more grains of Titewad than a guy might think prudent, would bring the velocity to maybe 1350 FPS or so, maybe even 1400 FPS. That shotgun should be able to take the recoil of Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads (1 1/8 oz. @ 1310 FPS) and not miss a beat. That is what that shotgun was made for....heavy hunting loads.

Just a quick check using the shotgun recoil calculator, the Golden Pheasants are at 33 ft. lbs and the 7/8 oz. loads @ 1400 FPS are at 24.9 ft lbs. in a 6 lb shotgun.

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

I missed the 7/8 oz. part. Mine was based on an ounce in an Activ hull. It pounded my gun so severely I looked over the whole stock with a magnifying glass looking for cracks. I'm just glad I tested it in my 7 1/4 pound M11 and not a light double.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:46 am  Reply with quote

Browning has had a random problem like that even with the citoris . Had a friends grip blow right off the side on a 28ga . Has to be just a slight mis fit / finish on either the wood , metal , or both . maybe a little emery will fix .

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:48 am  Reply with quote

Turk you get your gun back yet? I was on my way to NY to turkey hunt for a few days and my wife called. "What did you order now" i told her just some 6.5 brass and some bullets for my sons rifle" she said well there a big long box. I asked her if she needed to sign for it but she said she couldn't cause you have to be over 21. I said nice try!!! Anyway looks like my gun is back cant wait to see what it looks like.
8mmFan
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

I got what I consider to be ridiculously good customer service from Browning on a 16ga White Lightning. Posted about it here, some time back. I would agree that their process might seem a little unorthodox. That said, they went above and beyond, in my case. Replaced the entire front end of the shotgun, test fired it, and sent it back, free of charge except for my cost of shipping the gun to them. No problems with it, since. I thought they were excellent. I also have called them with questions about some of their shotguns at other times; easy to get in touch with, knowledgeable, and generous with their time on the phone. Would never hesitate to buy a Browning shotgun if I wanted it. Just my $.02.

8mmFan
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:50 am  Reply with quote

Opened the box new stock and maybe new forend on my Sweet. Havent put it together let but it looks pretty again. My faith in Browning renewed.
hiplainsdrifter
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:25 pm  Reply with quote

The stock on my White Lightning broke after less than 6 months of use. Split right through the wrist. Sent it back and it took 5 months and MANY phone calls for them to get it back to me. Lots of excuses, and wasn't allowed to talk to anyone who knew what was going on. That gun also had a cocking issue that they failed to even look at. But they did replace the stock for free and send it back. Then that stock cracked with less than a month of use. I somehow figured out how to talk to someone in charge and they replaced the entire gun. I have had no issues with the new gun other than that they barrel lugs are wearing too heavy on one side of the receiver. I like the gun, it is very accurate and fits me well but given my previous experience I can't trust it.
Turkman
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

I believe 11,000 psi
Turkman
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

I really appreciate the thoughtful replies. First, I hope I haven't been blowing it up but I am now working very carefully with a Clays load and 7/8 oz of lead. And believe me, I've run a lot of lead and powder through my Sizemaster to make sure my weights are right. I've calibrated my scale after about every five test runs.

Second. my hat is off to Browning. I was super worried that i had flushed 1400 bucks down the drain. They fixed it and replaced it. No questions. And I told them exactly what I was shooting through it.

Third, I'm trying to use some Cheddite hulls, rather than the fioccis that work fine in my O/U. I hate them. Maybe they are just old and brittle. I am, thus far, suffering from some very bad crimps. I think I'm going to buy a crate of Remington Game Loads to get the hulls.

Thanks to you guys, I'm excited to go out and shoot this gun again. Maybe it was me, and maybe it was just that gun, or maybe bad stock fitting. I'm hoping for the best with this one. The local stores are depleted from gunpowders (again!). I wanted to get some Unique or Universal Clays. But I'm gonna try 7/8 oz loads with 17 grains of Clays.

Another sidebar, I tried to get some information on my problem from Shotgunworld. I got my hair blown back a bit from Randy Wakeman, who chastised me for not reading the manual (I didn't) and that it says the minimum load is 15/16 oz. I guess that is true regardless of hull, wad, powder, primer, pressure or recoil. The gun must be pretty sensitive to discern that 1/16 oz of lead.

Thanks guys. If I shoot tomorrow, I'll post results, or pictures.

Kevin