16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Remington stock question
Hav6125
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

If it has already been addressed my apologies for asking again, but I couldn’t find anything when I did a quick search. Are 11-48 stocks interchangeable with early 870’s? Im wanting to swap to the ADL style stock on the 16 ga 870 I’m working on. I acquired a 12 ga stock and it’s about .060 to wide. Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ross

putz463
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:10 am  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard...

Not certain what an ADL stock is, regardless, their is a very small difference when comparing my 16ga 870's and 48's. Difficult to measure w/o taking apart (will do this if you truly need me to) but there is very small difference in the heights of the rear of the receivers and ~0.010" diff in widths. But since most stocks fit proud of the metal/wood interface it shouldn't matter too much.

Understand the 12->16ga stock diff, I customized a 48 as an "Upland Special" one trick pony and used a 12g stock to better fill my oversized bass player mit, worked perfectly.

Another consideration difficult to measure but again will do if truly needed, is the difference in 870 stock bolt hole dim (and possibly angle) and 48 action spring tube allowance. Since it sounds as though you're wanting to put a 48 stock on an 870 that hole dia. (assume larger in the 4Cool should not be an issue, but not certain of the angle.

sounds like a fun and interesting project, best of luck with it.....

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:13 am  Reply with quote

if you take an 870 stock and put it on a 48 , you need the stock spacer and just a leetle bit more spacer . If allowed to touch the receiver , the hammer of the action will split the wood edges . Also , the tubing on a 48 may require some spacing to allow the thru bolt to tighten ... a 48 stock will have plenty of wood inletted and should go on an 870 . may look loose - key is tight to the receiver . Same thru bolt work may be needed . The old 48's were inletted right to the receiver which Remington simplified with the later guns by using the spacer . Close , but not perfectly swapped . If you saw the chunked out stocks in our other thread , you get the idea of the damage .

Hav6125
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. There’s no need to take things apart and get get dimensions. I have the original stock and forend, I was just wanting to swap over to the deluxe wood over the standard grade is all.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:06 am  Reply with quote

I learned the hard way ! Put a beautiful sporting 1100 stock on my 48 . Shot my really lite loads without a problem . Took that gun to Standing Rock with factory 1ozers , and it only took about 5 shots to blow the edge to smithereens !! found MOST of the pieces . - re-inletted to my 28ga 48 where it now resides - LOTS of padding !!