16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  DeHaan Model U2 16 Gauge (Review)
RandyWakeman
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

http://randywakeman.com/DeHaanModelU216Ga.htm

Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:39 pm  Reply with quote

Nice work, Randy! Well done.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

I have not yet had a chance to see one yet Evil or Very Mad
RandyWakeman
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

Well, we jumped a couple today. Even the dog seems fascinated. Wink

gjw
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Randy, wonderful, wonderful job!!! Excellent site and reviews, my hats off to you!

Question for you, could you comment on the CZ SxS compared to the DeHann SxS? I'm sure others would be interested.

Thanks so much and GREAT job!!!

Greg
RandyWakeman
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

gjw wrote:
Very Happy Randy, wonderful, wonderful job!!! Excellent site and reviews, my hats off to you!

Question for you, could you comment on the CZ SxS compared to the DeHann SxS? I'm sure others would be interested.

Thanks so much and GREAT job!!!

Greg

Hi Greg,

Well-- I really can't do a decent job of it, as of yet . . . as I've not tested a DeHaan SxS.

http://randywakeman.com/CZ16gaRibgneckReview.htm

I would expect the DeHaan to have far better triggers, and would quickly opt for the full-coverage engraved sideplates vs. the chemical case coloring.

The DeHaan also has more barrel length options, and personally I'd go for the 26 in. vs. the bit too heavy / slow-for-flushing-bird 28 in. length.

From where I sit, CZ essentially ships out "their" Huglu's as supplied, but Mark DeHaan puts a lot more effort into it; and it shows.

gjw
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

Surprised Hi Randy, thanks for the fast reply, I read your review on the Ringneck, that was great also!! I too also like 26" barrels, if you could, how was the appearence (looks) of the DeHaan vs. the CZ? I'm looking at the S2 (16ga of course) How are the extractors, do they lift the shells up for easy removal (I've seen some were you need a knife to get the shell out)?

Thanks again for all your comments and time!

God Bless!!

Greg
RandyWakeman
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

There was no problem with the extractors with either-- that's with cold, gloved hands.

Here we go into the "opinion" / subjective stuff. The full scroll engraving makes the "fake" case-coloring look chintzy. This really sets off the gun.

With the DeHaan S2, you have barrel length choices, forearm choices, and straight or pistol grip choices. That's all personal preference; but mine is 26 in. barrels, beavertail forearm, and "Prince of Wales" grip.

I also don't care for gold duckies on an upland gun, so full scroll it is for me-- a far classier presentation:

So, that's my impression: the DeHaan's win quite handily particularly with full-scroll hand engraving configuration. I think they are a bargain.

Remember, I'm an old A-5 guy that has spent the better part of 40 years swinging Sweet Sixteen's. I like guns that work.

It is about time that affordable 16 ga.'s with decent build quality became available again. I appreciate nice guns-- boy, it took some thinking before I ever shelled out $2000 for a shotgun, and a lot more thinking before I could see $3000. Times have changed, but that is still significant where I come from. I can't spell $4000 for a shotgun, much less $6000. Doubt that I ever will. Embarassed

A 16 ga. is a great gauge, and deserves to have support in the affordable quality / performance arena. I was sorely, sadly disappointed when Remington shoved a barrel with a smaller hole in it and called it a "new light contour" 870 Wingmaster (I bought one, anyway-- I like the gauge) and did the same smarmy job with the 1100. No reason to have a 16 that weighs a pound heavier than the equivalent 12 ga. in a pump or semi-auto.

I'm glad to see DeHaan getting things together in a package that is easy on the eye, works well, and gives the common man a 16 ga. double gun with chrome-lined bores a choice he can afford.

gjw
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:08 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Randy, thanks so much, your a well of great info!!!

Thanks again!

Greg
RandyWakeman
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:58 pm  Reply with quote

A well, a wall, or whatever. Shocked

As a sidenote, consider that the Kimber Valier SXS (Golden Bullseye Award Winner yada-yada) that has a MSRP of over $3800 . . . is a Huglu.

USAFA 71
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

Randy
Surprised at the weight of the gun at 7# 15 oz - that seems a bit heavy for a 16 ga built on a 16 ga receiver, especially with 26" barrels. That is what I would expect from a 12 ga, like my Citori. My 28 ga O/U and 20 ga SxS, both from DeHaan, have more representative weights for their specific receiver sizes.
But as long as it balances well, some excess weight can be forgiven.

I have read several of your articles and enjoyed them a lot. Keep up the good work. I look forward to a review of Mark's 16 ga S2, SxS, as that will be my next purchase.
RandyWakeman
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

That's what it weighs on my Lyman electronic trigger gauge, which is on the money vs. calibration weights.

They are hardly paper thin barrels, and of course what isn't wood is steel. A bit lighter than std. Citori 12 ga.'s, and heavier than std. Citori 20 gauges. It is actually lighter than my 870 Wingmaster 16 ga.

Most (all?) major manufacturers seem to fudge a bit on their stated weights, claiming "wood density." May be, but plastic stock density shouldn't vary all that much-- even the blanks cut from those very rare fiddle-back feather-crotch plastic "polymer' trees. Shocked

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

Hi, Randy, you and I think pretty much along the same lines about guns and money. I bought a .410 and a28 ga Ringneck, because I liked both what I saw, and how they handled and shot for the money being asked. I also do not see them staying this inexpensive for long. They are too good a gun. So I'm glad I jumped in early before demand drives the price up.

I also read your article about the 16 ga Ringneck with some interest. However, I did not see the gun's weight posted. What do they weigh? Also, that DeHaan full engraved version is a nice looking piece. What do they go for. Thanks, and keep on speaking straight, I like your style. 16GG.
RandyWakeman
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

S0 SxS Straight English stock, double triggers, extractors, light (15% of area) engraving, 5 choke tubes (16 ga and .410 with fixed IC & M chokes) 12, 16, 20 $679
28, .410 $839

S2 SxS Single selective trigger, extractors, silver sideplates with waterfowl scene, 100% scroll work engraving, 5 choke tubes (16 ga and .410 with fixed IC & M chokes) 12, 16, 20 $849
28, .410 $999

The short answer is $849.

About 7-1/2 lbs. or so for the Ringneck as tested.

scorpion
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:00 am  Reply with quote

Hello Randy,
Your review is excellent, and reflects my experience with DeHaan. I bought a 12 gauge U4 about a year ago--about the same gun as the U2. Mine has 30 inch barrels and weighs a tad over 8 lb. I bought it for clays, and it's great for that. I agree it's a bit heavy for upland game, but I have a Citori Feather 16 with 28" barrels for that, and it is a sweet swinger, and death on skeet. But back to the Dehaan. To have it fit just right, I had to have a 1/2" positive pitch (1/2" at the top of the recoil pad) spacer added, and it now fits perfectly. LOP is no problem, as I have long arms. (I had a recoil pad added to the Citori also--just right).

On my first firing of the DeHaan at the trap range, and 10 days after surgery on my right hand, I hit the first 13 in a row. When they called a cease fire on the adjacent rifle range, I lost my focus and missed half of the next 12, but still ended up with a 19, and this was my first firing, and with a gimpy hand at that.

You're right on about value--if you want to spend $2,000 and up, you can get a slightly better gun, but for pure cost/benefit performance (and it looks great, too), you can't beat DeHaan.