16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Winchester 1400 Forearm Shims
longgunnm
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

I was able to purchase a 1964-68 16 gauge 1400 that was in very good but neglected condition. When it was disassembled for cleaning, there were no forearm shims under the magazine cap.
Various internet schematics show an O ring or 3 shims.
Questions.
Which should I be looking for, a ring or the shims?
Do they install between the barrel ring and forearm, or between the barrel ring under the magazine cap?
Pictures show the 3 shims being a different design. What is the correct installation configuration?
I am assuming the previous owner shot it the way I received it.
Thank you,
longgunnm
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:54 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/winchester/shotguns-win/1400-win/parts-list-1400

Item #6

Click on it and will show the full set of stuff

Mike

p.s.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/2460A2070

This is what I would use Smile
https://www.harborfreight.com/hardware/o-rings-grommets/382-piece-o-ring-assortment-67554.html

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av51NIugG00

go to minute 12 and start looking

William J. siefert
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

5 April 20

I have owned 6 1400 and still own 5 of them to include one in 16 ga.

The first two I bought new as a kid in 1965. The 12ga didn't not come with spacers and as the fore end was and is still tight, didn't need them. The 20 ga, came with a split brass washer that fit between the fore end and the barrel. All the guns I've purchased used since than, 2 20ga, 1 16ga and 1 12ga skeet gun, came without spacers.

I fitted a skeet barrel to my original 12ga gun. The old fore end and new barrel didn't match well and the fore end was loose. I tired the "O" ring type spacer but it interfered with the movement of the action bars and stopped the bolt from going fully into battery. They might work with some guns but not with that one. I solved the problem by having my son 3D print a plastic washer of the proper size and thickness. I cut out a notch to allow the forward end of the action bar to pass through (similar to the brass washer mentioned above) and that took care of the problem.

The spacer goes between the fore end and the barrel. The magazine cap his teeth that engage a ball detente. If you put a shim between the magazine cap and barrel, you won't be able to tighten the barrel and you won't tighten you fore end.

Unless the fore end is loose, don't worry about it. If it is, the metal spacers would by my choice.

Bill
longgunnm
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:30 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,
Thank you for clarifying this and the additional information.
In the video, it appears the shim indentations would be caused by installing the shim under the cap instead of under the barrel ring?
In theory, that would 'lengthen' the forearm gap?
Regards,
longgunnm
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:19 am  Reply with quote

What was the difference between the 1400& 1200 and the 1500 & 1300. I never owned any of these cause they tried co compete ( I thought ) with the 870 rem. After the mod. 12 was discontinued. They looked so cheesy and felt that way. When pumping the pump gun it rattled like a bucket of bottle caps.
That being said, I wouldn't mind owning one of the autos. 16 that is. I just wish they would have made the super x 1 in all gauges .
William J. siefert
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:42 am  Reply with quote

I cannot speak for the 1200 or 1300 as I've never owned one. However none of the 1400s I owned rattled.

The 1400, 1400MKII and 1200 were the original offerings. The stocks and barrel finish were very decent but they never sold as well as the 1100s. Instead of upgrading the guns, Winchester lowered the quality of the stocks to the point where the last versions looked like they were made from pine. That didn't help them sell either. In a last ditched effort, they upgraded the wood and barrel finish and sold the guns as the 1500 and 1300. Mechanically the same but with improved wood and metal finish. I recently bought a 1500 20ga barrel for one of my 20ga guns and it fit perfectly.

As to the 16ga 1400. The outside barrel dimensions are identical to those of the 12ga barrel. They just bored it out to 16ga. My 16ga 26" IC gun comes in 5 oz heavier than the 26" barreled 12ga skeet gun. At 7 lbs 6 oz, the gun is a little heavy to carry all day. However for shooting targets, the gas system and weight render it the softest shooting 16ga I own. I don't know how many they made in 16ga but I've seen only a couple. They turn up on Gun Brokers once in a while.

Bill