16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Why Should I Have a Setter, and Which One?
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:00 am  Reply with quote

Max Smoke,

If you are a Grouse & Woodcock hunter IMO you should own at least 3 Setters of different ages so you are never without a serious Grouse dog to hunt with. Picking a serious Setter Grouse dog is a very personal thing. Choose a dog that fits into you & your families way of life best, and a dog that hunts in the manner you most like to hunt. Educate yourself about the kind of dog you most want, and choose wisely from a breeder you trust.

Good luck with purchasing the dog you like best.

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

Life should be lived with beautiful dogs and ladies.

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:50 am  Reply with quote

Boy, that’s tough. I have never owned any dogs but Setters, and currently am quartered with an English Setter:

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/60133_600x400/] [/URL]

I don’t think I could handle two of this dog. Her name is Louise, or Louie, Shadow Oak Beau is her paternal grandfather, he is a big running plantation quail dog. The exercise requirements of this copy are off the charts, minimum of 1 hour daily of off leash run time in an open spaces area near my home, or, when the birds are nesting, and ticks are out, 3-5 miles of bicycle pulling, with me somewhat in control. She is a hard charger, note the bloody tail and paws, and a dog like this isn’t for everyone. She is, at age 7, 41lbs, and moves through winter cat tails like a spectral being, not a dog. Great family dog, good bird dog, once I got her around to my way of thinking.
My last English was the exact opposite of her, mellow, easy going, but, still a great bird dog and family pet. The Gordon I owned prior to that was all business, and really wanted nothing to do with anybody except me and my Mom. He was a good guard dog, and outstanding in the field. He made labs look incompetent at finding birds and then retrieving same.
This is what it looks like when you run her at -47. Don’t think for a minute she will want to stay home:

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/60138_600x400/] [/URL]

It is really hard to tell someone why they should get a particular kind of dog. I love Setters, and as long as I am able, will own nothing else. I guess after all of my parents dogs, and mine, I think I have a good idea what I’m getting with each one, but, there are curve balls, like this one.
I wish you all the luck in the world. For what it is worth, MY next Setter will likely be a smaller Gordon, thinking 3-5 years out on that.

Best,
Ted

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:31 am  Reply with quote

Ted,

Good on you, it sounds like you know exactly what kind dog you want both in the field and at home. Got to agree with you about the Gordon dogs, all 3 of mine have been business dogs all the way. They were definitely my dogs, stand offish to other people in the field and great around the house, Penny's retrieving was simply fantastic and gave my Small Munsterlander male a run for his money on every downed bird.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Penny a Gordon Grouse Dog of a life time, and I miss her badly.

canvasback
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:44 am  Reply with quote

Ted, you have summed up perfectly both my experiences with setters and my feelings toward them. Will always have a dog. They will always be setters. Not arguing for others to do the same.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz