16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Baker Model 1897 16 gauge
stevesavage
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Baker 1897 hammer double, 16 gauge. Seems to be in top shape. Anyone know the chamber length. My chamber length seems less than 2&1/2 inches long. Any suggested loads for the 1897? Poly wad Vintagers seem to do ok. Thanks in advance.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

2.5" was the standard chamber length back then. I'm curious what length yours is. RST and Polywad shells would indeed be best for that gun, depending on how your barrel wall thickness checks out. Always a good idea to have it checked.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
old colonel
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

More than likely 2 1/2 however note it was not unheard of the actually chamber 1/8 less in order to get a good tight seal with fiber wads. So if it appears a hair short it maybe that

Researcher
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:22 am  Reply with quote

The "standard" length for 16-gauge shells here in North America was 2 9/16 inch from the 1890s into the 1930s --

The 2 3/4 inch 16-gauge shell began to take over during the 1930s, but our ammunition companies continued to offer 2 9/16 inch 16-gauge loads until they transitioned to plastic shells in the early 1960s.

American doubles were often chambered at 2 7/16 inch for these 2 9/16 inch shells.

stevesavage
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

Careful measurement with a factory chamber gauge shows mine to be 2&5/16’s. Measuring a fired 2.5 inch shell shows a round depressed area 1/4 inches long where I believe the case sticks into the barrel. Anyone know the reason for such a short chamber? I don’t believe this is a problem with plastic shells but paper shells are thicker and could be a problem. Any suggested loads for the shorter chamber and trimmed cases would be appreciated.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

Use these and trim as necessary

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013139986

Researcher
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:36 pm  Reply with quote

Chamber depth is considered to be the distance between the breech end of the barrels and the joint between the chamber body itself and the forcing cone, which reduces down to bore diameter. This is loosely based on the length of the "Fired" shell. Today, theoretically when the crimp opens on the shell being fired the end would land at the junction of the chamber and cone. Prior to WW-II many companies had the practice of holding the chamber about 1/8 inch shorter than the shell for which it was intended. Fly in the ointment is nominal measurements often differ from actual ones in both chambers and shells. A very good method I have found of measuring chambers without much outlay of cash, and is quite accurate enough for virtually any situation, is a common 6" flexible machinist's scale which you likely have. Hold the barrels with muzzles toward a light source, not necessarily a concentrated one a window is great, while looking into the breech and the cone will be thrown in a shadow. May have to move the barrels around a little until it is distinct. While still looking into the chamber simply slide the scale in until you observe the end coming flush with the shadow line & mark position of breech end with your thumb. Remove and read the scale. I usually repeat this a few times to insure I am getting a consistent reading, but you will be amazed how accurate this can be done. While I own a Galazan chamber gauge, I use this more often than not. The chamber body itself has a taper of about .005" per inch. Sometimes chambers were cut with slightly worn reamers giving a slight undersize chamber. If the chamber is a bit undersize a gauge made to "industry" standards will not go in to the true depth of the chamber. A.H. Fox Gun Co. shotguns are known for having tight chambers. The machinist’s scale method can be more accurate.