16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  2 1/2" Shells in Auto 5
SoonerEd
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:21 pm  Reply with quote

Just starting to reload for my sweet sixteen. In doing so I acquired almost 1,000 hulls. About 200+ are 2 1/2" that I loaded as follows. Got my short kit for my MEC 600 jr. a couple of weeks ago. So, this is my first try.

Cheditte hull
Fiocchi
20.1 gr Universal
7/8 oz 7 1/2 shot
SG16S wad

Loads crimped fine.

Only got to fire 11 test loads today to see if the would cycle my Auto-5.

One jambed.

Anyone know if 2 1/2 inch shells in an Auto-5 might create feeding issues? It's a 1960's sweet sixteen with a 2 3/4" chamber. I've never shot 2 1/2" shells in it in the 44 years that I've owned it. I would like to use the hulls for lite target loads but don't know if I should expect possible cycling issues.

Last edited by SoonerEd on Sun May 10, 2020 6:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:11 am  Reply with quote

That’s the load I use except I use a cheddite primer. Make sure your crimp has a rounded edge, like a factory shell. I did experiment with less powder and it wasn’t enough to cycle. The 20 grains should cycle just fine. What kind of jam did you have? Maybe you just had a bad hull. It does happen from time to time. How’s your gun set up? Heavy or light loads.
Savage16
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:22 am  Reply with quote

http://www.rstshells.com/store/p/135-16-Ga-2-1/2-A-5-Type-Vel-1200-1-oz-Load-Case.aspx

The 2 1/2 inch shouldn't be the problem. RST's A5 specific load is in 2 1/2 in but one oz and at 1200. Whats the velocity of your 7/8oz?

John Singer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:54 am  Reply with quote

I have a Savage 720 (Auto 5 clone) in 16 gauge. It does cycle 2 1/2" shells...sometimes.

It does fail to feed sometimes too.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:29 am  Reply with quote

The rst shells at last buy was 140 a case, their A5 shell works just fine in the A5. They have what they call a heavy load and a lite load. If you want the pressures for those pm me and I can give you a spread sheet from Chris at RST. The rst hulls load good. They are expensive that’s why I went to cheddite hulls. Now they don’t have 2 1/2 cheddite hardly ever, but they always have 2 3/4 cheddite. Buy those cut them down and you got 2 1/2. They load great. May need felt filler, or over shot card with 7/8 oz but those are cheap and if your really cheap you can make them, just not much to save there when you figure in the time, for me anyway.
SoonerEd
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

RGuill96971 wrote:
That’s the load I use except I use a cheddite primer. Make sure your crimp has a rounded edge, like a factory shell. I did experiment with less powder and it wasn’t enough to cycle. The 20 grains should cycle just fine. What kind of jam did you have? Maybe you just had a bad hull. It does happen from time to time. How’s your gun set up? Heavy or light loads.

I think I need to work on the crimp to make it rounded. The jam was where the cartridge was at about 45 degrees in the reciever.. Kind of like when you have a 38special jam in a 357 Mag lever action.
SoonerEd
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Duplicate post

Last edited by SoonerEd on Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoonerEd
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

I've not been able to chronograph. When I do I get erratic velocities that cannot be correct. Last one I tried to chrono, I got 1,600 FPS on a light 1 oz load. I'm using a CED chrono. Either it doesn't like shotshell or I'm doing something wrong.

I know the chrono is working. Used is today to pressure test some 7.62x51 loads in my LR10 and 270 Winchester in my Tikka Tx3. The velocities of known loads were spot on other than temp variation.

My Auto 5 is set up for target loads, not heavy. Cycles my other loads fine. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll go shoot at the range. Our range is rifle and pistol. But on sundays, the club breaks out two electric throwers for those that want to shoot clays.

Thanks all for the suggestions. While I'm an experienced rifle and pistol reloader, only been loading 12 Gauge for a couple of years and just started several months ago reloading 16 since I finally finished rebuilding a MEC 600Jr i was given. I even had the base painted federal purple since its a dedicated 16ga machine. I load my 12ga on a grabbed since I load more of those and it's much faster than the 600jr.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds really high to me. I don’t have a chronograph so I can’t help you there. The load you posted earlier shouldn’t be over 1300. More like 1150 ish if I remember right. I have read that there are a lot of variables.
SoonerEd
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

RGuill96971 wrote:
Sounds really high to me. I don’t have a chronograph so I can’t help you there. The load you posted earlier shouldn’t be over 1300. More like 1150 ish if I remember right. I have read that there are a lot of variables.

Yeah...that's why I'm saying my chrono isn't picking them up correctly. The load that chrono'd at 1,600 was tested per published data at 1,200. So, something is up with the chrono of my technique.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:47 pm  Reply with quote

Wouldn’t mind having one but heard a lot of cons about them.
RWG
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

Stick with loads of 1 oz and 1200 fps in your 2 1/2" cheddite hulls and they should cycle fine in your A5. I would stick with cheddite or winchester 209 primers over the Fiocchis. No reason to widen the primer pocket to get a decent load in the Cheddite hulls. Russ
stubshaft
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:24 am  Reply with quote

My A-5 needs 2 1/2" shells. When the crimps start to split on the hulls I use for my other 16's I trim them back to 2 1/2" and roll crimp. They feed STOS.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."
SoonerEd
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:43 pm  Reply with quote

Shot 25 test shells today at some clays. Had one jamb. However, these i don't think I had the hulls tapered like recommend above. I'll adjust the loader some for the next round. The load I'm using uses Fiocchi 616 primers. Got 2,000 coming in...just waiting on them to load some more.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:05 am  Reply with quote

SoonerEd,

Not sure that the CED unit is well suited to shotshell. At least that is what I have heard (Internet stuff so....)

Usually you have to move a skyscreen chronograph around a bit (forward and back) to find the sweet spot. The 1600 reading is indicative of sunlight messing with the skyscreen. Chronographing for a shotgun can be testy at times. Bright sunny days and shotshells can be trying, because you have a mass of pellets and a wad that light can reflect off of and falsely trigger a skyscreen.

I use a $99.00 Pro-Chrono. It is a bit sensitive on sunny days but nothing terrible. On overcast days or under cover it is trouble free, which is pretty standard for a skyscreen unit. I set my muzzle 3' from the midpiont of the 2 skyscreens. With the Pro-Chrono the readings will be about as good as they get with a shotgun.