16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Chrono - choke - load
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

Did a little work with two loads and 2 different chokes.

The idea for these loads was given to me and posted in another thread. I did not have either load tested, but here are the chronograph results. I also shot this load at some fairly sporty targets, I kinda like it. And it operated my 16 ga. 1100 with no issues. Nice, soft recoiling in my CItori.

Federal 2 3/4" paper basewad hull
Winchester 209
16.0 Grains 700-X
DR-16
7/8 oz. of shot

Crimp depth is 0.065"

10 rounds over the chronograph with each choke. I did not delete any rounds. These loads were right off my 9000G16, I didn't weigh powder and shot or massage anything.

Modified choke (0.020")

Average FPS - 1241
Hi - 1265
Lo - 1219
Extreme Spread 46 FPS - Standard Deviation 16 FPS

Cylinder choke (0.000")

Average FPS - 1233
Hi - 1253
Lo - 1212
Extreme Spread 41 FPS - Standard Deviation 14 FPS

2nd load

Winchester(Cheddite) 2 3/4" plastic basewad hull
Winchester 209
16.0 Grains 700-X
DR-16
7/8 oz. of shot

Crimp depth is 0.065"

10 rounds over the chronograph with each choke. I did not delete any rounds. These loads were right off my 9000G16, I didn't weigh powder and shot or massage anything.

Modified choke (0.020")

Average FPS - 1230
Hi - 1263
Lo - 1204
Extreme Spread 59 FPS - Standard Deviation 16 FPS

Cylinder choke (0.000")

Average FPS - 1210
Hi - 1236
Lo - 1185
Extreme Spread 50 FPS - Standard Deviation 15 FPS

Probably going to try these again using a Federal 209A. Certainly not terrible but the Extreme Spread is a bit too much.

As you can see the modified choke definitely records faster velocities than a cylinder choke AND it also slightly messes with the ES and SD readings.

This next load was tested 20 years ago and I never liked it with the Winchester primer and I still don't like it with the Winchester primer.

Federal 2 3/4" paper basewad hull
Winchester 209
20.5 Grains Universal
B & P Z2M wad
1 oz. of shot

Same as above, right off my 9000G16.

Cylinder choke (0.000")

Average FPS - 1262
Hi - 1284
Lo - 1243
Extreme Spread 41 FPS - Standard Deviation 13 FPS

Here is a perfect aside for the folks that don't believe in chronographs. Think that powder lots are all over the place. Think that there is no way you can reproduce what is written in the data.

The above load with a Federal 209A primer was originally tested back in the late 1990's, I was the one who developed the load, tested it and the load was published in Precision Reloading's 'Blanks to Supersonics'. That was 20 years ago.

The average fps of that printed load was 1265 FPS. I do not remember what it was with the Winchester primer. BUT, the Universal was made in Australia back then. This lot was made in Canada. The tests were done with a complete test rig including, Universal receiver, Pressure test barrel, Piezotronics, transducer charge amp and volt meter and an Oehler 35P Chronograph in a temperature and humidity controlled room.

I replicated that result today with a $99.00 ProChrono Plus.

I will reshoot this load with a Federal 209A. If all goes to plan (I could hate myself in the morning for predicting this), the velocity will/might change a little (up maybe) and the ES and SD should come down.

BTW, there were no surprises and I didn't have any errors in the chronograph readings. Nothing exceptionally low or high.

Hamishtheirishamish
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

Mark,

Much obliged for the 700X load. The Universal is a bonus for me as I just bought a couple of pounds to try in 20 now and 16 in a few weeks.
Rich
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:57 am  Reply with quote

NMark , good info , thanks for doing that.
double vision
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:00 am  Reply with quote

Ditto. Solid info.

I haven't used 700X for many years, but it was always my powder of choice when I shot trap league.