16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Who is Hunting Whom?
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:53 am  Reply with quote

There was another hunter on the property last season. This one tripped the trail cam a couple hours after we set it. He was watching us the whole time. The hide from another one adorns my son's couch after he got the jump on it in the open woods and dropped it in its tracks. You have to stay alert if you go out solo. You can sense when you are being followed...the woods get way too quiet and a strange creepy feeling sets in. Just watch your back, and never run no matter what.

Cheers,

B.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

Yep, no thanks !
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:54 pm  Reply with quote

Quiet,efficient AND deadly.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

They say there are no big cats in Pa, don't ever believe it. In the 70's in Potter County an old sheep farmer told the Pa Game Commission that a big cat kept killing his sheep at night. The PGC advised him there were no big cats in Pa. That night as the 2 big cats made their sheep kill, the old farmer killed the one big cat with his 308 rifle. The following year the PGC came out with new laws stating that if the animal was not listed as legal game, it was not to be killed. There were pictures of the big cat in the Pa sporting magazine and on the front cover. The farmer placed the big cat on the Wardens desk, and took pictures. I had the magazine at the log cabin until one of my clients borrowed it, and never returned it.

Wish I still had the old Magazine.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
1stgun
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

Sage advice, but the part about run, that word is no longer in my personal dictionary.

It's fight or .....

Regards,
Chuck

Hamishtheirishamish
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

Same story here in Illinois. "They don't exist", yada yada,,,,,. Proven otherwise, now it's illegal to kill anything that doesn't have a regulated season.

About 5 years ago my hunting partner was stalked on his way into the bowhunting stand by one.

I've gone hand to hand with hogs and deer. A big predator?

NOPE.[/b]

Swampy16
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:27 am  Reply with quote

There was one hit and killed by a car in Hunterdon County NJ. A cop posted the pic on Facebook. The post was abruptly removed. I never saw the pic myself but knew people at the time that did. There are definitely black ones in WV and people have seen them in the Catskills. They kinda freak me out. I grew up in a dairy farm and know all to well just how tuff a feral house cat can be. Imagine One weighing 150+ pounds that makes a living killing things much larger than itself. Yep, no thanks.
tramroad28
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:23 am  Reply with quote

A population of black panthers in WV?
Spooky!
jim18611865
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:16 am  Reply with quote

Several years ago we had a roadkill in southern CT.
https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Mountain-lion-struck-and-killed-by-car-in-Milford-1419941.php
They later claimed DNA testing said it was from South Dakota.

I spend a lot of time in the woods in winter, and have never seen tracks. Moose and bear, yes, but no big cats.

Jim
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:12 am  Reply with quote

PC Dave , our camps are just south of Bath , NY , and they have been seen randomly for 30yrs . Kid was mowing our front yard in Risingville , and noticed one would come out after every pass like it was mousing . Finally got it on the phone camera , yep , long tail . Have had a few bobs having kits in the barn across the street . Really ruins the reputation of NY !!!

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:50 am  Reply with quote

Jumped one up hunting pheasants in central ND, only one I've seen in the wild. At another small town close to my own old hometown, they say a mountain lion was observed watching a grade school playground during a recess! Though I have not seen them, a few years ago a pair was spotted living near a wetland in the town in which I now live -- that would be deepest, darkest, close-in suburban Minneapolis, MN. We have lots of animals in our little suburb -- coyotes, fox, turkeys, deer, river otters, mink, muskrat etc, not to mention bald eagles, ospreys, perigrine falcons, hawks and owls, copious waterfowl, waders and shorebirds. If you look closely, you can see most of these every day. No reason to doubt this environment could house a big cat or two. No alligators, so far.Wink -- big snapping turtles are our most dangerous reptile!