16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Rowdy the GSP
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:04 am  Reply with quote

I had a really great bird season with my new GSP, Rowdy last year, and had plans for working him on birds this spring and summer before the shelter in place order struck. Luckily, I was able to get in touch with Ronnie Smith down in Oklahoma and get him into his three month training program where he's getting daily exposure to birds plus learning some other skills such as heeling and backing. One of his last hunts in February was quail down in Alabama where on the final hunt, my buddy and preserve owner/guide Tyler Silcox suggested a puppy clean-up hunt after the older dogs were put up. He ran his 13 month old DK female, Betty and I ran Rowdy. When we finished up,11 month old Rowdy had 6 finds and retrieves to hand, and Betty had two finds. He promises to be a great dog.

I got an E-Maill update from Ronnie's wife and training partner, Susanna Love last week along with a picture of Rowdy on point:

"Rowdy is doing nicely. He is much more composed in training than Bode ever was. He is able to focus on a lesson, comprehend what is being asked of him, and respond appropriately. He has a good mindset overall and has joined up with me. We have been really focusing on obedience training. Rowdy has completed the whoa post series and has transitioned to the collar on the flank for stopping. He has a solid understanding of the cue and we will continue working on practice reps for the remainder of the week. We will be able to begin the actual steadying up process soon. I’m very pleased with his progress so far."

Susanna

Chicago
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:55 am  Reply with quote

Really nice looking shorthair and great intensity on point. I have heard that is a great training program. I have several friends that went to the Smith’s seminars, but I have never known anyone who sent their pup off to them for a full training program.

My 10 week old pup goes off to charm school in May for 90 days - he already has a slot with a trainer I have used for years.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:13 am  Reply with quote

Nice looking shorthair RM.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

Rifelmeister,

Congrats on a fantastic GSP, have fun training and hunting!

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

I got another update on Rowdy from Ronnie Smith Kennels:

"Rowdy is doing well. He has transitioned to the Intermediate Level of his training. He did have a default to recall (come back to you) when we transitioned to stopping him on the flank, but I have not seen that for quite a few workouts now. He has a great attitude and strong prey drive. We have progressed to turning dogs loose to navigate the field on their own (without the assistance of us on a checkcord), working on handling, and beginning the steadying up process on birds. So far he is doing very well in all of my workouts with him!"

Sounds like he is progressing well. I got their new book on dog training and have been able to follow the training as he's going through it. Really wish I could go down there to work with him like I did with my other dogs.

Cheesy
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

Good looking dog. You got him from John Prince didn’t you?
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:35 am  Reply with quote

Cheesy wrote:
Good looking dog. You got him from John Prince didn’t you?

Rowdy is another one of those great "Man" pups from John Prince. I was signed up to get a pup from another litter to be the eventual replacement for my 10 year old Bode and had already made my choice when Rowdy suddenly came available. The previous owner of the litter from Texas sent Rowdy to John to be trained as his own dog when the owner's wife and kids fell in love with a little female from the litter. He traded Rowdy to John as payment for training the female and I got a call from his assistant trainer to get over to Kansas immediately to claim my dog before someone else could see him work. At 11 1/2 weeks old, I watched Rowdy find, point, hold, shot over and retrieve to hand with as much style and flash as any dog I've ever seen. My only question to John at that point was how much do I make the check out for? John's stud dog Man throws some awesome pups.

John Prince's great "Man" stud dog.

Cheesy
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:20 am  Reply with quote

I first met John at that hunting expo they had over at Pittsburg last summer, follow his posts on Facebook to see him working all his dogs. He worked with my 10 month old shorthair for a few Friday afternoons last fall. I couldn't believe what he was getting out of him with just minimal handling.

Sorry for derailing your thread, again, great looking dog.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:43 am  Reply with quote

Great looking shorthairs. Sounds like you are going to be having a lot of fun this fall.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:02 am  Reply with quote

Rowdy is dead. I got the call this morning from Ronnie Smith. He had developed a bacterial infection a few days ago, and the vet had prescribed antibiotics and pain meds. This morning he collapsed in his kennel and could not be revived. A necropsy will be performed to determine the exact cause of death. I am devastated. He was a great little dog and promised to be my one great dog of a lifetime.

4setters
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:30 am  Reply with quote

Oh my! That hits like a lightening bolt, I'm sure. I'm sorry for your loss. Mike

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:36 am  Reply with quote

Terrible.

My sympathies.
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:40 am  Reply with quote

So sad, so sudden,
Mike

Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:47 am  Reply with quote

Wow, what a terrible loss of such a promising dog. So,so sorry.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:49 am  Reply with quote

WOW ! I am truly sorry for your loss !!!