16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Belgium Sweet 16 shell ejection problem.
SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

I just started shooting my newly purchased Belgium sweet 16 and every time I fire the shell stays in the chamber and have to be manually ejected.

I’m not the most experienced with these guns but I know a little and I’m sure I have the rings set up correctly. Pushing the barrel down to change the rings is hard, much more difficult than my previous sweet. I figured it might need lubricated. May this be the problem and if so what product would you recommend? I don’t want to gunk it up.

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:08 am  Reply with quote

Plenty of diagrams on the web, shouldn't be that hard pushing the barrel down. I am assuming you are pushing the barrel down to remove the forend and barrel for changing.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:53 am  Reply with quote

Sweet- are the springs new, if not do yourself a favor and replace the recoil spring and action spring. Make sure you use 30 weight oil on magazine tube. Just a tad. Don’t take much. Inspect extractors on breech block( bolt). One may be rounded/ broken if it’s an older one or if shot a bunch. Had that issue on last sweet 16 I got. If you have one of the fired shells you can look at the rim and see if the extractor is being pulled over it or actually grabbing it. Make sure you remove the breech block and inspect the springs (stiffness) for the extractors. The extractor should have a sharp edge. You can even put a shell on bolt face with bolt out of gun to see what’s going on. If you download the owners manual there are some instructions on this
SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:31 am  Reply with quote

Soggy socks wrote:
I am assuming you are pushing the barrel down to remove the forend and barrel for changing.

Yes. Like i said I had no problem doing this with my last sweet. I can still do it on this one but I have to exert considerably more force to do so. I know it’s not right.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:45 am  Reply with quote

Does spring slide freely on mag tube? Some people get 20 gauge springs from some places that say they fit 16/20. Not the case. There is a difference.
SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:26 am  Reply with quote

RGuill96971 wrote:
Does spring slide freely on mag tube? Some people get 20 gauge springs from some places that say they fit 16/20. Not the case. There is a difference.

Actually yes, it does.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:46 am  Reply with quote

without seeing it, its hard to tell. do you have another 16? if so swap out recoil spring and see if you have same problem. does bolt lock to the rear when pushing on barrel? new springs are pretty stiff. does the bolt lock to the rear with charge handle? I recently had a light 12 that I could not push barrel down and it was the action spring all gummed up. probably the most neglected spring and cleaning area.
SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

RGuill96971 wrote:
Sweet- are the springs new, if not do yourself a favor and replace the recoil spring and action spring. Make sure you use 30 weight oil on magazine tube. Just a tad. Don’t take much. Inspect extractors on breech block( bolt). One may be rounded/ broken if it’s an older one or if shot a bunch. Had that issue on last sweet 16 I got. If you have one of the fired shells you can look at the rim and see if the extractor is being pulled over it or actually grabbing it. Make sure you remove the breech block and inspect the springs (stiffness) for the extractors. The extractor should have a sharp edge. You can even put a shell on bolt face with bolt out of gun to see what’s going on. If you download the owners manual there are some instructions on this

I’ll definitely check out the springs and breach block when I have the chance. ( I’ve been ridiculously busy lately and am going off little sleep).

You say 30 weight oil works well. Are you talking about straight 30 or another type? Or does it not matter?

Last edited by SweetAndNot16 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

Straight 30 weight. Put some on your finger and wipe on tube. Slightly wipe off. It’s good to go. It will appear to be sticky. That’s fine. And be safe with that no sleep thing.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

One other thing that caused me ejection issues on my 1909 for about a week was the friction spring was worn out. That’s the black ring that goes around the bronze piece. It was not tight enough and not clamping the bronze piece tight enough. There is nothing that I have seen in writing about the gaps, but I always put them 180 out from each other.
SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

RGuill96971 wrote:
Straight 30 weight. Put some on your finger and wipe on tube. Slightly wipe off. It’s good to go. It will appear to be sticky. That’s fine. And be safe with that no sleep thing.

Thanks and ok. Rolling Eyes

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome. Keep me posted.
SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:57 pm  Reply with quote

RGuill96971 wrote:
Welcome. Keep me posted.

Well I finally got around to doctoring up my sweet. Both the springs appeared to be in good shape so I gave them a light cleaning and inserted them back into the gun. I then rubbed a light coating of 30 weight oil on the magazine tub and took it to the range. Shot 20 shells, all ejected perfectly. Now when I press downwards on the barrel to remove the forend and barrel it moves like nice and slick. I guess all it really needed was to wet its whistle.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:56 am  Reply with quote

Sweet- glad to hear that sir. Nothing like a sweet sixteen. Guess J Browning knew a little something. I wish browning would have kept the same design in the new A5.