16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Remington Model 31 magazine plug?
flyfrod
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

I recently purchased a model 31 in 16 ga. and gave it some TLC as it needed it. I would like to take it out in the field this fall but the magazine does not have a plug. Does anyone one have any DIY plugs or know of any aftermarket ones?

Thanks
1stgun
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

Dad always made his out of a wood dowel. Just got to play with the length. Worked fine .

double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:15 am  Reply with quote

A regular lead pencil cut to length works fine. It's what I have in my Rem. 11.
tramroad28
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:48 am  Reply with quote

Section of aluminum arrow is my choice of a plug.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:05 am  Reply with quote

A 6 inch piece of 1/2 inch PVC waterpipe works great. Light and moisture proof. I give a Ithaca 37 to each grandkid and write them a note that I put inside the plug. Hoping they find them someday. Very Happy
flyfrod
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:14 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you for all the good ideas.
31pumper
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:12 am  Reply with quote

I have a box full of originals. Would be happy to part with one.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

One of the problems with DIY small diameter magazine plugs, like arrow shafts and pencils etc, is their freedom to rattle and move fore and aft -- it sounds tacky, JMHO, sorry. Embarassed Original plugs in Model 12 Winchesters relied on the outside diameter of the wooden dowel-type plug being fairly close to the inside diameter of the magazine coil spring. This kept the rattle potential to a minimum. Plugs in more modern guns have a shoulder that traps the plug at the far end of the magazine tube, keeping it from moving/rattling -- 870's and 1100's , etc. have plugs like that. I suspect the Remington 31 uses one of these ideas.

When I have to add a magazine plug to an old repeater, I use a dowel of the maximum diameter that will fit inside the magazine spring but not interfere with it's collapse as the magazine is loaded. To insure that, I taper the end so the spring is guided over it during loading -- Winchester did that, and I'm sure many other brands did too. At the "far" end of my plug, I drill a small cross hole. The ends of most shotgun magazine springs have the coil wire terminated with a bend that crosses the diameter of spring. I insert that little bent part on the "far end" of the spring into the small cross hole in the plugs I make, and that retains the plug at the far end of the magazine tube -- voilà!, the plug cannot slide and make that unseemly "plonk - plonk" sound.
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

Tony, after I read your post I went and grabbed my M11, shook the hell out of it, and I can't hear a thing.

Laughing
tramroad28
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

There may be an occasional sound from using a section of aluminum arrow shaft in my Auto 5 Sweet but, my ears do not register the sound, if any....can't for the life of me understand why that could be. Very Happy

I may have to hire a young lad to walk beside me next season and be alert to him exhibiting signs of discomfort or even embarrassment from the auditory results of such a cobbling.
"Sir, please...enough is enough, I must protest this effrontery".
31pumper
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:04 am  Reply with quote

The originals have a 3/8" flange slightly smaller than the ID of the magazine tube on one end. The balance of the plug fits inside the spring. Absolutely no rattle.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:31 am  Reply with quote

Laughing OK . . . Dave E and Tramroad28 . . . my guns "plonked"; yours might not. But if I'm ever shooting within earshot of you guys and I hear any "plonking", there'll be hell to pay! Twisted Evil

Cheers!
Tony
fourtrax
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:42 am  Reply with quote

Was once on a duck hunt in a boat on opening day. Forgot to check the mag for a plug. Ooops it wasn't there. Did end up putting two shot shells inside mag ahead of stopper. Probably not the smartest thing I ever did but was about 19 at the time and it only went boom out the muzzle. Don't do this at home....... YRMV!

dannypratt
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

A 3/8 carriage bolt of proper length (it's going to be dependent on the model of gun etc) will take the place of modern plastic magazine plugs. You can even buy them in galvanized...they weigh less than the 2 shells your "plugging" for, and cost anywhere from $ .24 to $.38 ....cheap and easy.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:06 pm  Reply with quote

When I acquired my first M12 (ok it was a 12 ga) I needed a magazine plug...quickly...as the season had opened. I cut a section of the round waxed hollow cardboard rod from a clothes hanger from the cleaners. It’s light, quiet, stiff, but it has only been tested in wet duck blinds and frozen pheasant swamps for a mere 50 or so seasons, so the critics and experts here are welcome to suggest something better.

Cheers
B.