16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Fed 1oz #7.5 16ga at Walmart, new box look $7.50
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:46 am  Reply with quote

I saw this at Walmart yesterday and grabbed a couple boxes. It's a little rare to find number 7.5 in 16 gauge. I got the latest Cabelas Magazine yesterday and they have Herter's 16 gauge available again but it's 12:50 a box now.

The main reason for getting federals is the empty Hulls are the best for steel shot reloading, give the most volume and lowest pressure.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up--will start looking Very Happy
Emtymag
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

My local Walmart also has a lot of Remington game loads for the same price.

I grab the federals for the same reason as well.

New vs old box.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:27 am  Reply with quote

I found the new Boxes of Federals at the local Walmart today. Next week I may even find someone minding the counter in Sporting Goods so I can buy some to try.

Maggs
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up! I was able to find the new Federals being offered at my local store. Glad to see them!

Picked up a few boxes while I'm waiting for my 5k of wads to come in.

Maggs
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

Dave In AZ wrote:
I saw this at Walmart yesterday and grabbed a couple boxes. It's a little rare to find number 7.5 in 16 gauge. I got the latest Cabelas Magazine yesterday and they have Herter's 16 gauge available again but it's 12:50 a box now.

The main reason for getting federals is the empty Hulls are the best for steel shot reloading, give the most volume and lowest pressure.

$12.50/box for target loads, and then they wonder why they don't sell more of them. Rolling Eyes

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Swampy16
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:10 am  Reply with quote

I bought Top Guns in the old box for clays. Then I bought Top Gun in the new box for clays. They’ were in 12 gauge and different hulls. The old box had paper base wads and the new had the preferred plastic base wad. I can buy them cheap at times so I’m saving them to reload. I wonder if it’s the same in 16. The old box also have plain metal heads. The newer had brass washed.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:36 am  Reply with quote

Dave in AZ -- I just want to know how you got those two boxes in the upper left corner of the drawer to stay up there when you have your filing cabinets mounted sideways on the wall. Wink Smile
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:20 pm  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke wrote:
Dave in AZ -- I just want to know how you got those two boxes in the upper left corner of the drawer to stay up there when you have your filing cabinets mounted sideways on the wall. Wink Smile

LOL, emptymag is the magician there, not I, but it is impressive heh.
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
I found the new Boxes of Federals at the local Walmart today. Next week I may even find someone minding the counter in Sporting Goods so I can buy some to try.

I know the feeling REex! I went in the Walmart in Parsons{ks} the other day and all the staff were too busy moving stuff around in the store to even try to get any ammo that was under lock and key! I never liked that store anyway.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
4setters
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

You folks must live in an alternate universe. I was in an Academy and a Wal-mart yesterday for other reasons and found the ammo shelves essentially bare. No rifle or pistol ammo, and only a few boxes of 12 gauge, mostly Hevi-metal type duck loads. I live in a fairly large town in central Arkansas, and the word is that all the gun stores in Little Rock are bare and don't expect any substantial ammo shipments any time soon. Guns shelves are mostly bare also. I did see a couple of boxes of 28 gauge, but both of these stores rarely put over a few boxes of the gauge on the shelves here anyway. No 20s or 16s to be had.

Its a good time to be stocked up, a reloader, or perennially lucky. Well, two out of three ain't bad.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

4setters
From my personal experience and talking to my local Walmart guy( manager). It depends on the manager ordering the ammo. If he wants to keep it in stock then they will have it, if not then your out of luck. I live right outside Houston and have 3 Walmart’s within about 15 mile radius. One of them never has anything. The other two always have shotgun shells and usually riffle ammo. I have 2 academy’s also close and they were wiped out, and stay that way. Was looking for 410 last weekend and Walmart had, but 17 a box, neither academy had any. So I took an hour road trip each way to get 11 boxes of 410. That academy had several cases of 410. The manager in academy stated they get ammo in everyday, but they have no way of knowing what their getting until truck is opened. He also said most of the ammo is gone by 10am. Guess early bird gets the worm. Never thought that many were shooting 410, but guess so. Today local academy had 410 again.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:29 am  Reply with quote

have any of you guys looked at the base wad of these new Feds ? If they are still paper , I'd be delighted !! If plastic Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:43 am  Reply with quote

I inquired with Federal about 16 gauge hulls going to a plastic basewad. They said absolutely not.The 12 gauge is all over the place. Top Guns are still paper.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

OW ... I just left a pile of top guns at the club that were all plastic !