16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  DR-16 wads
top_cat
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

Does anybody know where there are DR-16 wads in stock? If not, does anybody know when they are going to go back into production? I tried e-mailing Downrange and got their typical response .... silence.

Thanks

Tom
Builder
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

I did the same thing two days ago. No response.

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:56 am  Reply with quote

I am not sure when the next run will be , visited with Kevin awhile back , the mold came back from the mold shop with a clean bill of health , that being said can't say as much for the molding presses , still being worked on after three roof replacements later.

I will say that I have crunched some numbers , James Kerr is getting old with the other partner already passing .

I would have to say that the next run of the mold that the 40 or so of you folks out there that reload for the 16 GA. ( Oh and thanks by the way ) just might want to buy up what you might want of the DR-16's for the foreseeable future.

Yes you read it right I have figured out their are about 40 volume shooters of the 16 give or take one or two.

The Xmas give away will have the numbers picked by Dear Ole Mom , she said she wanted to live long enough to Vote for Trump and pick the numbers in exactly that order.

Not the news I know you want to hear but it is the world we live in, supply and demand 12,20,28,.410 come first.

Best regards , Nick
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

Plain talk is always welcome. Far more than the usual mamby-pamby pablum corporate PR departments spew, saying a lot and causing major amounts of global warming while communicating nothing.

So, thanks for that.

I should be astonished that you needed three roof replacements. But I have relatives in the Hastings area and from their stories about the way many things are done there (not well, not quickly, etc.), I am not astonished at all. Something about 7 months to fix hail damage to his car.

There recently was another thread on why the 16 is doomed or won't catch on, or whatever. That one went on about no non-tox, etc. Fact is, a lot of us like to talk a lot (Guilty!). But, one of the iron laws of commerce says that what sells, continues to be available. And what doesn't, doesn't. After bringing to market a new, better or more economic product, makers continue to make what they make because it sells and stop making that which doesn't.

(I'm guilty of not buying because for the last several years factory loaded promos have been so cheap and available it didn't make sense to reload, a fortiori because of limited closet space.)

So, buy 'em when they are available, budget so you can, and be grateful for such a fine product by buying it.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

DaveinMaine,

Good post sir!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
But, one of the iron laws of commerce says that what sells, continues to be available.

Yes, but 16 ammo is almost always priced much higher than the other gauges, hence it doesn't sell as fast, and its lower sales volume becomes a self-fulfilling ferris wheel of consternation. If they priced it the same as the other gauges, it would fly off the shelves, and then there would be more supply.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:29 am  Reply with quote

Interesting thread that relates back to the popularity of the 16 ga and factory ammo. At the risk of being called a highjacker, how many of y'all own more than three 16 ga guns and DON'T reload your own shells? Personally I've progressed through the 600 JR, Sizemaster and a couple of years ago upgraded to a used 9000N.

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:37 am  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
Interesting thread that relates back to the popularity of the 16 ga and factory ammo. At the risk of being called a highjacker, how many of y'all own more than three 16 ga guns and DON'T reload your own shells? Personally I've progressed through the 600 JR, Sizemaster and a couple of years ago upgraded to a used 9000N.

Same progression here, Riflemeister. I started reloading 16 gauge with my old MEC 700 Versamec which I converted from a 20 gauge. Then came a Sizemaster, and finally I was fortunate enough to pick up a nice used MEC 9000. Reloading is part of the 16 gauge hobby.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:15 am  Reply with quote

I own six 16's and started reloading on a Sizemaster in 1987 when I bought an A-5 Sweet.

In 1996 I converted my 12 gauge 9000G to 16 gauge, been using both reloaders ever since.

I use reloads 100% of the time for hunting. I will use new stuff for targets to get the hulls, but that isn't very often unless I get a real deal on new factory. Last time was 2 years ago, found some RIO 1 oz. #7.5's for $3.49 a box on clearance at Dick's. Bought 20 boxes, every box they had.

I can't imagine not reloading for the 16!!

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

Perhaps someone on here could develop a Bismuth load with the DR16,a 7/8 or 1 oz at 1200 fps. Maybe that would be enough of a boost in sales to warrant continuing production.Ya never know DR might pay all or part of materials and testing costs.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

I want to clarify the situation.
Nick has already said this.

The wad making facility was damaged,
The machines were rendered in-operable for ALL gauges of wads
The roof of the facility has had to be repaired three times
The moulds have been sent out for cleaning and QC.
The machines rebuilt and prepared for service.

The owners are aging, one has passed away.
The story continues

According to the web site "Give Kevin a call at 402-463-3415, if you have any questions."

I do not know what the break even quantity is for a wad run?
Maybe 100 thousand, 500 thousand, maybe more.

Who here will buy 5000. 10,000 or more wads?

I only have about 7,000 left so should be good for a couple of years.

You with a better memory than mine, which business worked with us to set up
a want list for the DR16 wads and there by provide Downrange with a known partner?

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:53 am  Reply with quote

I must have 4-5 thousand on hand right now.

We need someone to go win a couple big sporting clays tournaments with a 16 gauge gun.
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:20 am  Reply with quote

I called Keven at DownRange
He figures a run in Oct/Nov
Has qualified plastic on hand now.

Recob is the primary retail source.

Chat with Karen at Recob and let her know how many you will expect to need.

She talks with Kevin as far as production quantity Smile

https://recobstargetshop.com/

Recob’s Target Shop – 800-359-4571 – 9-5 on Mon Thu Fri & Sat – 9-7 on Tue & Wed

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:23 am  Reply with quote

Wouldn't make a Whit of difference Dave , I had been gearing up to go and do exactly that , can't get away to do anything right now .

If I were to win event after event with the 16 it would make absolutely no difference , others would say that they need every pellets they can get , most folks that hunt seem to have been MMA Cage Fighters.

One of the Doc's down here loaded 7/8 oz of 8.5's @ 1400+ fps , long story short , going to a managed hunt in KS. Owner quizzes about guns shells , I told Dave to tell those folks what Skeetex told me to share with Dave ( tell them it's top secret Pheasants killing loads ).

Dave was second guessing his decision about loads thinking 4's. Now just how many birds Dave has seen me kill with #9's is a whole bunch.

Funny how folks minds work, Dave took the #8.5's after lots of coaxing .

Never had a bird not dead in the air and him and his son Dillion were the talk of the place .

Took Dave 3 years of not putting a bird in the bag in the Dakotas with #4's to finally try something different .

He loaded up 2k of those loads for hunting.

Funny how thing work out.

Regards Nick
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:33 am  Reply with quote

If Kevin remembered , their will be a little surprise concerning the next run of DR-16's

Mums the word.

Regards Nick