16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  2020 hunting season 16 gauge attack, what's yours?
Beagleman
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

So far I have been using the auto loaders for doves - sweet 16, standard 16, American Browning 16, and a model 11 sportsman. Plan to use L.C. and Sterly 16's on quail. The "Rest" of the 16's will get used for what I predominately spend my time hunting - rabbits. Most of these are pump guns- 37s, 12's and 31L's with a couple single shots mixed in. I will use a Belgium guild hammer gun, compliments of Mark Larson, on solo rabbit hunts.

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

Swampy16 wrote:
Dave I think I saw that when you first did it. Looks awesome ! Did he enhance the grain?

Yes he did. Smile
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

The gun I most carried the last two weeks is my Manufrance Ideal 16ga BLE. Eventually will get round to different gun, when I go to a lighter load than the Fiochi Golden Pheasant I currently use on Prairie Chicken.

When I go to 1150fPS 1 oz loads I will go to the Purdey

I have too many nice guns, a great problem. Too many guns and too little time hunting to use them all
mdm1
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

My go to so far has been the Manufrance Ideal grade 5.
Winchester model 21 will get some work.
Remington model 58 got a shot.
Yesterday was Ithaca model 37.
The LC Smith has not been out for awhile, also an Austrian box lock, M Ogris, a Remington 870 Wingmaster, and a Stevens 620 I've never fired.
mdm1
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

My go to so far has been the Manufrance Ideal grade 5.
Winchester model 21 will get some work.
Remington model 58 got a shot.
Yesterday was Ithaca model 37.
The LC Smith has not been out for awhile, also an Austrian box lock, M Ogris, a Remington 870 Wingmaster, and a Stevens 620 I've never fired.
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:30 am  Reply with quote

I see a Manufrance Ideal trend in the making. Smile
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:19 am  Reply with quote

Over 6500 members and we have 12 people reporting. Laughing
gomerdog
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:14 am  Reply with quote

So far...Iver Johnson single for blue grouse (one bird) and Model 58 bolt for sage grouse (one bird). Will try to post a pic of the sage grouse later today.
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:23 am  Reply with quote

So far when I have been out after doves I have carried either my 16ga M12 or my 28ga Bobwhite. Saturday morning when I try for some teal before going to a fun clay shoot I will be taking my M12 and maybe my CZ Ringneck. Was going after prairie chickens Saturday but the forecast is for another 85-90 degree day, not good for walking the Flint Hills all day but if I were going I would be carrying my LC Smith Ideal 16ga.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
bhs61
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:08 am  Reply with quote

So far I have shot doves over sunflowers 19 days . Used a 21 Win 20 one day , the rest have been 16’s , Sauers , Miesterwerk, Mod 14e, Mod 16e, Mod 2 SLE, Huskavarna sxs , Britte 16 SLE, Merkel 301e, Win mod 12 solid rib. I have used the doubles more than once. Today it will be either a 97 win or a 31 rem both are full choked 16s. They are starting to pick corn so the birds not hit the sunflowers as much. I would post pictures but could only show one limit as Illinois gives tickets for pictures showing over single limit in a group!
bhs61
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:09 am  Reply with quote

So far I have shot doves over sunflowers 19 days . Used a 21 Win 20 one day , the rest have been 16’s , Sauers , Miesterwerk, Mod 14e, Mod 16e, Mod 2 SLE, Huskavarna sxs , Britte 16 SLE, Merkel 301e, Win mod 12 solid rib. I have used the doubles more than once. Today it will be either a 97 win or a 31 rem both are full choked 16s. They are starting to pick corn so the birds not hit the sunflowers as much. I would post pictures but could only show one limit as Illinois gives tickets for pictures showing over single limit in a group! Laughing
bhs61
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:11 am  Reply with quote

So far I have shot doves over sunflowers 19 days . Used a 21 Win 20 one day , the rest have been 16’s , Sauers , Miesterwerk, Mod 14e, Mod 16e, Mod 2 SLE, Huskavarna sxs , Britte 16 SLE, Merkel 301e, Win mod 12 solid rib. I have used the doubles more than once. Today it will be either a 97 win or a 31 rem both are full choked 16s. They are starting to pick corn so the birds not hit the sunflowers as much. I would post pictures but could only show one limit as Illinois gives tickets for pictures showing over single limit in a group! Laughing
IDcut
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

I returned yesterday from a chukar quail and hun hunt. I took a 16 gauge N Guyot at 5 lbs 14 oz and a Ugartechea 16 ga model 30 at 6 lbs 4 oz. The Guyot got all the action, with a 1/2 dozen chukar put in the bag between my friend and I, an awesome whiff on a good sized group of huns that jumped up about at my feet in some knee high grass.

We were heading back to the rig and I was busy talking to my hunting partner when the huns jumped...startled us both! We should have been watching the labs a bit closer! He fired 3 shots and I fired both barrels on the Guyot, without so much as lifting a feather! Lots of quail were seen but most were still very young birds, so we left the quail alone.
hayseed
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

Only doves so far, so I've only used my new A-5 Sweet 16. May be breaking out my unmarked 1947 Sweet 16 soon and I have a new Fair Iside to try out.
gomerdog
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry...the first pic is of a 12 gauge Stevens Model 58A and the only grouse taken on Monday.

The second pic is a Stevens Model 58 16 gauge and a grouse taken on Tuesday near a branch of the old Oregon Trail called the Lander Cut-off. At the far left is Continental Peak and near the center are the Oregon Buttes. Good memories with my dad and brothers there 50 years ago.

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/61314_600x400/] [/URL]

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/61315_600x400/] [/URL]