16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  DT Systems collar
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

I am looking for others that have first hand experience with the DT Systems 1450 RAPT e-collar. Not looking for advice on what collar I should buy, I already know I messed up and should have bought a Garmin/Tri-Tronics again.

I have a DT Systems 1450 RAPT collar. The collar does not seem to have any real range to it and it has been back to DT Systems for this issue. If my dogs get to 75 yards or there is any terrain change and I lose line of sight, the collar simply does not work. I have replaced the battery in the transmitter several times and the e-collar is fully charged. The transmitter was replaced by DT Systems a year ago. They said the integral antenna was bad.

I have made sure it isn't the dogs as I do have an old beat to the a** Tri-Tronics that still works and when I use that e-collar the dogs respond as they should. I really don't like using the Tri-Tronics as it only has correction and I don't like using correction when all I want the dog to do is hunt a bit closer/change direction. I know it isn't a big thing but, just the way I want it.

I just want to know if someone else is having range problems with their 1450 e-collar.

The reason I bought this collar was for the vibration and beeper collar features.

I will probably go back to a Tri-Tronics next year, just trying to get thru this hunting season without spending $$$.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019,

I had one and traded it in, did not like the way it worked, and the hand held unit was not convient to the way I train. As you say the range was not what I wanted. I use the Dogtra T&B collars have several dual units, they work at over a mile and the older units have the beepers behind the dogs ears. I also invested in the Garmin pro mini 550 for long range tracking. My only DT unit is a dual water proof unit, and the locator button failed after less than a year.

Dogtra still the best in the business for training and hunting in the big woods.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers