16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  For you Gentlemen who own Classic American and Euro Doubles
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Somebody tell Stan to Join the 16 gauge Forum, so he can see the case! Or give
him the link to TF.
Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
S Hillis
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:26 pm  Reply with quote

I am a member here, and have been for several years.

Glad to see a nice looking case that sells for that money. But, what I have to know before I order is .......... where is it made? I may have overlooked that info on the T.F. site, but I didn't see it.

Thanks, SRH

Never mind. I looked a bit closer and it says on the leather embossed emblem that it is made in China. Thanks anyway.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

Stan,

Many of the modern leather and oak cases are made in China, and are very high quality hand made gun cases, most sell for a lot more money. The sale price on these TF leather cases was very reasonable. Bought my brother a TF soft case for Christmas, I liked the looks of them also. I just picked up a leather shotgun shell hard case from Jeffs, to go along with the TF leather hard case. You might want to take a look at the shell case also. Real nice stuff as Christmas gifts.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Jeffs leather shell case, stores eight, 12 gauge shell Boxes.

S Hillis
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:00 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the first hand information, Dave, but to expand on my earlier post, I'm not interested in anything manufactured in China. Not guncases, not tractor parts, not clothing......... nothing. It matters not to me that "many of the modern leather and oak cases are made in China", I am well aware of that, and how much other stuff sold here is made there, too.

I have been looking around for a couple nice hard cases and I can just about tell you the ones readily available that were made in countries using "subjected labor", by the price. It's a personal issue, but I have drawn the line and am making every effort to identify the point of origin of items I need. Anything made in China is off limits for me.

I'm willing to pay much more for a case made by a craftsman that lives in a free, capitalistic nation, and I ultimately will.

SRH
tramroad28
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:41 am  Reply with quote

Looks like a nice case and may well be serviceable over Time with price point a draw.

China origins can raise questions over quality control tho and the pollution, to name one concern, in that country is on a level difficult to fathom.
Any leather or tanning products could be especially troublesome re pollution...we each make decisions beyond housing a scattergun, I hope.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:41 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I understand your reasoning and actually I agree with it, most of what I purchase is being made in the USA, if I can find the product I want to purchase. Unfortunately its not always the case. The shell case from Jeffs has no identifying country on it, that I can find. I purchased the TF gun case because of the very reasonable price, I was disappointed that it was not made in the USA. I do hate giving money to China, however the TF company is American and I hope most of the money stays with them. Further I hate giving my money to the state of NY due to their Unconstitutional gun control laws, if I want to Grouse hunt in NY I have to purchase a NY hunting license, to me this is the same as supporting a Communist state. There are some things I can not completely avoid unfortunately.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Not everything however, Jeff's leather shell box from my understanding is being hand made in Mexico.

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

Before we get too deep into the differences of a heavily taxed and regulated state and a communist nation, we’ve sworn as gentlemen to leave politics on other forums, as a gentle reminder.

S Hillis
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

cowdoc87 wrote:
Before we get too deep into the differences of a heavily taxed and regulated state and a communist nation, we’ve sworn as gentlemen to leave politics on other forums, as a gentle reminder.

Not saying it isn't a good policy, but where and when did "we" do that, cowdoc?
And, where are the parameters defined? I can't find them.

SRH
Carlos
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

Durnitall! Won't send to Canada. I'll have to wait until the Great Undefended is open again.
nj gsp
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

I received my 49" soft case just in time to head "up nort" for some early winter grouse hunting. I must say, it is a very well made case and worth the sale price, at least. It fit the Browning Citori SLF with 28" barrels and extended chokes just right, anything longer would be a no-go.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

nj gap,

Thanks much for the info, my brother has a 28 gauge Browning with 28" barrels, should fit perfectly also. I will test out my 30" barrels on my L.C. Smith before giving the soft case to him for Christmas.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:59 am  Reply with quote

Dave, Since you are not hunting New York anymore send me a list of your favorite coverts! Best Joe
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:43 am  Reply with quote

Soggy Socks,

I have not given up on NY Grouse hunting just yet, even though I hate giving NY money for the hunting license. Never give away any of my covert locations, you must be joking about that right! In fact if we get some decent weather I will probably meet my new buddy Galen W and Grouse hunt up in NY again this year, have not purchased my NY license yet however.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

One of those NY Grouse Coverts long ago.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

Stan,

To avoid a gun case made in China, take a look at some of the vintage leather gun cases made in England, during the late 1800's and early 1900. My buddy Ken Graft has several of them and they are seriously nice, however they are pricey. I may eventually purchase one myself. In fact Kenny was looking for one for me when I found the TF leather gun case.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

silverbowff
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

The 49” case fits my Franchi SLX 28” with extended chokes. I was also able to get my Iside em 30” gun into the case with a bit of persuasion. Tight fit but may ease with use.
Jim

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16